Fuse Boxes - Under-seat vs. Under-bonnet

This question has been asked before, but not for these reasons and I can't get the information I need.

I have bought a 300TDi-style fuse box (AMR1637) in the hope of converting the wiring from my main 2002MY harness from an under-seat arrangement to under-bonnet. All of the research I did suggested that AMR1637 had a lot of the same connections/relays as LR021818, which is the under-seat version. This is not correct, so I don't think it will meet my needs.

It has arrived with none of the fittings, so I need to see how one looks fully assembled to really make up my mind:

20200308_111751(2).jpg.dad6b7a66b540c16c957c059d3992c0b.jpg

Can someone with a 300TDi post a picture of the inside layout of their underbonnet/engine bay fuse box?

If it won't work for me, I will look at putting an under-seat one in the engine bay instead (I can't put it under-seat due to the fuel tank). Do they require any special connectors, or is it all fairly standard stuff? I have seen conflicting information on this.

I appreciate this is a bit of an unclear request, so any attempts to help would be gratefully received....

The Defender 300Tdi under-bonnet fuse box doesn't compare to the TD5 underseat fuse box, as you've discovered.

The TD5 underseat fuse box is based on the engine compartment fuse box used in early Freelander-1, and 300Tdi  Discovery-1, which are based on the engine compartment fuse boxes fitted to Rover 200, Rover 400, MGF and MG TF cars.

They all have the same Sumitomo connections, but I don't know if they all have the same functionality.

The Freelander-1 and MGF use the same fuse box - YPP100310L in the Freelander, and YPP100310 in the MGF - the MGF version is cheaper.

Rimmer Brothers currently have an MGF version - YQE000400 on sale for £10.00 + VAT

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YQE000400

I'm sure that you could make it work with a Defender for that price.

68912-Large.jpg

The Rover 200 has a front mounting bracket for this type of fuse box - callout 7 in the diagram below -

GRID001108.jpg

This bracket is now unavailable from Rover - but, I've got a few brand new ones kicking around somewhere.

I'm pretty sure with a little loom unwrapping and a lengthening of the supply cable that the TD5 type underseat fuse box would reach the engine bay.

I had a bit of a play 10 years ago when I built mine but eventually settled on the battery box as my location.

Alas time fogs clear memory.

Mo

Paul, yet again I owe you, I was looking at £120 for exactly the same thing... https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr021818-box---fuse-987630-p.asp

Immediately purchased the £10 version and I am returning the 300TDi box, no need for it now. This should be a good opportunity to try out the new toy that arrived from Japan a day ago, thanks to your recommendation:

20200313_203914.jpg.e957e1b143ebb4f9b0617e133fc82d8c.jpg

I would be interested in buying a bracket if you're offering... P.S. please read your PMs!

Mo - As my loom has been cut around anyway, I don't mind modifying it even further to make an engine bay fusebox work. if that wasn't the case, I would probably put it in the battery box but it's getting very busy in there and I haven't even fitted the batteries yet. We'll see, plans often change with this car...

I ordered it at about 10:00 yesterday, it arrived by 10:00 this morning as standard 1st class Royal Mail. Not bad.

I'm trying to make this...

20200314_175041.jpg.ea87618837de6eb8c8d366a99227d8fb.jpg

Into this:

324449943_Screenshotfrom2020-03-1420-09-50.png.ef0ed6321fd73bce4b3e612c4e1e363d.png

One of the problems is that there are several identical wires, for example link 4 and link 5. I know their length is different, but I'm not taking the whole loom apart to get a tape measure in there...

I've got a bag of 9.5mm spade connectors which are perfect for the larger 'link' pins down the centre of the fusebox, so I've been crimping those onto the ones going to the passenger fusebox/relays.

I am missing the relays that go with the under-seat fusebox, so these are harder to work out for now. The wiring diagrams only show the connections from the fusebox, so does anyone have any photos of how the wiring goes from there to the relays? That would really help me make sense of the wiring diagrams.

952171145_Screenshotfrom2020-03-1421-33-56.png.bdfc10c131d03036aed3abebc4a13d5e.png

That's very useful, it seems you can spend hours combing a site and not see something that someone else can point straight to.

This confirms a few things and I can discount a lot of my wiring because I don't need anything ECU related or the fuel pump which is powered by the MS loom.

What I do need is the main power cable fittings to the fusebox, such as ypg100800. LR sell a cable which is £2million and won't be the right length as it's battery box to seatbox, I just need to make up a battery cable with the right connection but there are no results off that P/N. Couldn't just have been a standard terminal, could it...