Poorly LT230

22 hours ago, western said:

Transfer box off, intermediate shaft & gears out, bearings removed, No big damage to transfer case, 

Only damage is the rear bearing which has broken up, front bearing is in one piece but had roller damage, 

IMG_20200317_111745.jpg

IMG_20200317_111807.jpg

IMG_20200317_111912.jpg

smooth the sharp edges off with some 1000grit sandpaper and they good to go again, I say put them back in....they didn't seem to be making much noise anyway 🤷‍♂️

New intermediate shaft, bearings, spacer tube & the gears set are fitted, waiting for a spring balance delivery tomorrow so I can set the preload correctly which will partly collapse the spacer tube then the shaft nut can be staked in place, 

I chopped the head & tail off the old intermediate shaft to make a dummy shaft to assist with fitting gears, bearings & spacer, the tapped the new shaft through to secure them all in the casing. 

• Like 1

Ralph, unless you've got a jack here's a method I found quite useful when fitting my transfer box on my own.

I put two ladders outside each front door ratchet strapped to the chassis. I then placed an old fence post (4x4") through the windows supported on the ladders. That way I could put a small pulley block (about £10 from Amazon) on the post and tied off to a seat base in the back - was invaluable in lifting it and holding it in place whilst I went about shoving it into place.

• Like 1

I'm waiting on 2 deliveries one is oil seals for the main shaft on main gearbox & transfer box, other is a spring balance so I can set the intermediate gear bearing preload, 

I haven't got space for ladders like that Ed, I do have a extra pair of hands available, so we can jack TB up, with a strap around it from above, I have 2 long studs in main gearbox rear face ready to help guide TB in to place. 

Really - you mean you can't open the doors? Admittedly mine were only two short ladders (each about 8ft tall). Perhaps I wasn't clear - they were vertical alongside the body - not sticking out so didn't even stick proud of the wing mirrors. Hence why I strapped them to the chassis leg underneath.

if you want to replace both the front and rear seal of your main gearbox, take care of the gasket on the front. I found, that they often have different thickness and that is interesting for endfloat of the main shaft

53 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Really - you mean you can't open the doors? Admittedly mine were only two short ladders (each about 8ft tall). Perhaps I wasn't clear - they were vertical alongside the body - not sticking out so didn't even stick proud of the wing mirrors. Hence why I strapped them to the chassis leg underneath.

Ah, I thought you meant they were lengthways from the doors, anyway I haven't got a 2 part ladder to try it. We will get it in, I' did it back in 2008 when this LT230 was fitted

53 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

if you want to replace both the front and rear seal of your main gearbox, take care of the gasket on the front. I found, that they often have different thickness and that is interesting for endfloat of the main shaft

It's just the mainshaft rear seal on R380 & the front seal on LT230, where the 2 meet together, they are probably ok, but as its apart, its easy o swap for new seals, then I don't have to touch them again.

Well got the above done, the torque at the nut is as mentioned in the text ^^^^^^ so the big sump is refitted, I can't move forward as I'm waiting on the 2 oil seals to be delivered tomorrow, then TB can be lifted & bolted back in to 110.