Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yes I’m in exactly the same boat, these only brought the company Christmas after previous owner went into liquidation . I think that’s the problem the so called lockdown isn’t there’s lots of firms uncertain whether they should or shouldn’t and are continuing to work till told not too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the same here, in New Zealand, the industrial area where my workshop is, I'd say that 50% of the buisness's are still working.... I'm guessing this will resolve its self within the next week 

Then on the flip side I've just recently seen a post from some Tourists in a camper van desperate for somewhere to move to after the holiday park in town decided to shut its doors and kicked all the tourists out.....    A local supermarket had a gang fight happen over some chicken pieces!

Went to talk to one of my neighbours today to offer aid and she had a go at me today.... the goverment shouldn't have allowed me to come home  

People are scared, and when they are they tend to over react or not think about there actions as much as they should...... things will settle down with a bit of time and thinking, and in some cases when the authoritys have to act 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some key workers cycle to work so banning cycling won’t go well.  Just think think do in need to be doing this and what’s my risk factor if I do. If I get into a spot of bother (injury, breakdown)  I’m potentially bringing other people into and putting their family at risk. Nobody wants to do a job and get an injury but diy accidents were something like 87,000 last year and now is not the time for things that can go wrong.

Just re-watch project binky. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still working, first time being classed as key workers, wife is in the same boat as she does food delivery,

 

our maintenance team are switching to a week on, 2 weeks off (but on call rota) from today, so will be in work the remainder of this week then off,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bull Bar Cowboy said:

Hmmmm Ok....................That statement is just a tad 'drama queen'

The government deem that going out on a bicycle is Ok ................. so cycling in your book is not dangerous in any way ?

There should be no maintenance task on a motor vehicle that risks injury ............. the general idea is to manage the risk  🙄

TBH, I have probably had more accidents cutting the grass than working on vehicles and boats ..................

 

However @Hybrid_From_Hell is a different matter ........... Nige needs to stay indoors for his own safety .......🤣

 

Bl00dy H3ll Ian, I thought you were dead!  Are you well?  And the family?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are being extended for 6 months from the date of the original expiry as long as it is 30th of March or after. Had a link on my phone earlier butcan't find it now. It is on the GOV website somewhere

 

Result for me as the vehicle I need expires on 9th April. One small thing not to have to worry about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good news, and updating a website does take a few minutes at least. Stops people worrying an inundating channels with requests.

My Audi is in June, so that will certainly help...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that but if @L19MUD found something on the gov website then it already exists - my point was, if it's done then why not link it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mad_pete said:

Just re-watch project binky. 🙂

With the original time gap between videos? :ph34r: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I get that but if @L19MUD found something on the gov website then it already exists - my point was, if it's done then why not link it.

When was that? Until this morning it was only vans/HGVs, as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're getting crossed wires here.

The page I found shows it was published today but not what time, Rt Hon Grant Shapps posted at 2am (also today) that he was going to extend MOTs. My point was that it looks like he tweeted and the page was published at basically the same time (or at least a few hours apart) so why couldn't he either wait for the page to go live and post a link. Or if he tweeted after the page went live then why didn't he put a link in the tweet to something more official.

It looks like it's not going to come into force until later this month anyway whereas the commercial vehicles are already in force I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall I’m pretty impressed with the Government. Stopping a whole country for 3 weeks takes some doing but at the high level looks right and then sort out further details as they can.  


I think the “war on ‘x’” term is overused but not here. We are at war with this virus and we need to not give the enemy any advantage we don’t have to. 


 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

I think the “war on ‘x’” term is overused but not here. We are at war with this virus and we need to not give the enemy any advantage we don’t have to. 

Quite agree, but leaving firms to make there own decision whether to close is silly. They should have closed everything none essential , surely a 3 week closure now is better for the economy than months later on which could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I think we're getting crossed wires here.

The page I found shows it was published today but not what time, Rt Hon Grant Shapps posted at 2am (also today) that he was going to extend MOTs. My point was that it looks like he tweeted and the page was published at basically the same time (or at least a few hours apart) so why couldn't he either wait for the page to go live and post a link. Or if he tweeted after the page went live then why didn't he put a link in the tweet to something more official.

It looks like it's not going to come into force until later this month anyway whereas the commercial vehicles are already in force I think.

Ah with you, yes, he should have, didn't realise that page existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

Quite agree, but leaving firms to make there own decision whether to close is silly. They should have closed everything none essential , surely a 3 week closure now is better for the economy than months later on which could happen.

Agreed, but it is a balancing act, people will die in the future if there isn't enough tax monies around to pay for stuff because the economy is in a -30% depression, for example, through starvation and lack of healthcare. So future lives need to balanced by 'now' lives.

I don't envy them at all, but I do think they are doing a good job, despite Piers Morgan's rants.

Also, a friend of mine, her sister in law's grandad just succumbed to the virus, and passed away in Weston super mare. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my own grief now from the virus situation, ....

When we left France 5 years ago we had 2 highland  ponies, one went off to a trekking centre in the Limousin and the other, older sister (about 25 now) went to my sister in Cheshire, at the time she had her own poney in a yard and an arrangement that traded work for accomodation. Fast forward 3years that falls apart and our poney Carrie goes off to a 'friend' to a field ... "... at a 'peppercorn' rent". I was asked for and have been paying £50 a month. Fast forward  to yesterday and my sister has to self isolate, at which point she admits to me that said 'peppercorn' is actually £200!!!! Oh and by the way its due at the weekend!

I don't suppose anyone wants a nice friendly aged Highland Poney as a lawn mower for a few months????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I have my own grief now from the virus situation, ....

When we left France 5 years ago we had 2 highland  ponies, one went off to a trekking centre in the Limousin and the other, older sister (about 25 now) went to my sister in Cheshire, at the time she had her own poney in a yard and an arrangement that traded work for accomodation. Fast forward 3years that falls apart and our poney Carrie goes off to a 'friend' to a field ... "... at a 'peppercorn' rent". I was asked for and have been paying £50 a month. Fast forward  to yesterday and my sister has to self isolate, at which point she admits to me that said 'peppercorn' is actually £200!!!! Oh and by the way its due at the weekend!

I don't suppose anyone wants a nice friendly aged Highland Poney as a lawn mower for a few months????  

£200 ?????? Assume that's a month ? SWMBO reckons down here in Kent about £120 without livery. When she lived in Cumbria, was paying £200 a month livery.

Would have her here, but nowhere to keep her ATM. No fences or shelter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, smallfry said:

Would have her here, but nowhere to keep her ATM. No fences or shelter. 

Thanks for the thought, but if you haven't already got horses its an even bigger ask. HP's don't really need shelter in the UK, only issue we ever had was exposure to the sun in France. Yes £200 a month, I am told it is cheap for Alderley Edge but I have nothing to judge it against and as to precisely what is provided for that I have no real idea, and just at the moment I don't feel close enough to my sister to ask for supplementary info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 2:59 PM, Snagger said:

It’s not, if it’s at your home address, but unless you’re only doing minor tasks, you’re engaging in a task that risks injury

So is it you assertion that anything other than a minor task can not be carried out safely?

Not wishing to sound holier than thou, but realistically, if I thought that any task i was about to undertake could not be carried out safely, I would not do it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be extra careful. That's all. We wouldn't like to lose any one.

I'll be going out in a minute. Shopping, I'll take the Volvo, switch the phone off, and drive like a ninety year old.

I'll get a week's worth of food, and not go out again.

Incidentally, the death toll, which is lower than the pneumonia death toll, fell today.

That reflects the restrictions from ten days ago, so the government plan might be working.

I hope so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being in France and having had a week of lockdown already, you'd find it funny how many of my mates have fully tidied up their garages, anything to get out the house ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy