Coronavirus

Anderzander

From my trips to the US and working with US people, as said it is a big cultural thing, there is a historical element of the citizens being able to over throw a corrupt or controlling government, US civil war wasn't that long a go, there have also been several workers risings where armed workers have stood up to exploitation which amounted to almost slave labour by employers, often the same employers were the government of the time in that area and used military forces to support personal gain. This type of thing hasn't happened in the UK for a very long time, as a separate point the original firearms legislation in the UK was not done to prevent crime but was bought in towards the end of WW1 to prevent a possible revolution by returning WW1 soldiers by disarming the population, with the revolutions in Russia and Germany the aristocracy which made up most of the Lords and parliament at the time were scared.

As for what they are allowed to own this varies state by state but there is a general feeling that if they allow restrictions in one element there are powers with there own goals (conspiracy theory in part but not entirely unreasonable) which will use it as a step to push there own goals and move progressively towards a complete ban. History in the UK says this is basically what is happening here, individual horrific events are used to push through laws on a backlash, which mostly wouldn't have actually prevent the incident anyway, which would have been prevented if the laws that stood previous to the incidents had actually been used, (Micheal Ryan and Thomas Hamilton both held licences that shouldn't have been issued if the laws previous to the shootings had been upheld, why they were broken to issue the licences has never been investigated officially).

This is getting seriously off topic and away from anything LR related also a bit political so if mod's want to delete this feel free.

• Like 1

To bring us back on topic, I have been largely stuck at home for the past few weeks as many of us have but I am able to work from home and am lucky that my employment/income is not at imminent risk like a lot of folk. The work I’m involved in is classed as an essential activity and so the show must go on.

Biggest change for me has been getting used to not driving every day, I am usually doing 500-600 miles a week and now I’m lucky if I’m doing 100. Did get out for a longer drive on Tuesday and did a few hundred miles down to Kintyre and back, was spooky going through the towns how quiet they were. A few cars and folk about but nothing like the usual for this time of year, so it seems that most people are following the guidelines in this part of the world. 

I think it’s fair to say that we’re in for a few weeks more of this at least, I can’t see the restrictions being eased until late April at the earliest. Even then I suspect it will only be a partial relaxation and some of them will remain in force.

• Like 1

Me too. Last time I went to London it was so odd to drive on the M3/M25 section with just me and few lorries. Personally I can see the restrictions lasting a bit longer but who knows. 

Mum mentioned today that the Welsh First Minister said even if England lifts the restrictions he won't be in Wales because we haven't reached a peak yet.

John the local DPD guy said that the police were also out on the west bound A40 by St Clears pulling people over and questioning them. That's a major junction for any holiday makers so makes sense there. I've got to say from my trip into Carmarthen it was a little quieter than normal but didn't seem overly so, having said that I was in the 6x6 so bouncing all over the place and didn't really pay much attention to anything else apart from staying on the road :hysterical:

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

To bring us back on topic, I have been largely stuck at home for the past few weeks as many of us have but I am able to work from home and am lucky that my employment/income is not at imminent risk like a lot of folk. The work I’m involved in is classed as an essential activity and so the show must go on.

Biggest change for me has been getting used to not driving every day, I am usually doing 500-600 miles a week and now I’m lucky if I’m doing 100. Did get out for a longer drive on Tuesday and did a few hundred miles down to Kintyre and back, was spooky going through the towns how quiet they were. A few cars and folk about but nothing like the usual for this time of year, so it seems that most people are following the guidelines in this part of the world. 

I think it’s fair to say that we’re in for a few weeks more of this at least, I can’t see the restrictions being eased until late April at the earliest. Even then I suspect it will only be a partial relaxation and some of them will remain in force.

Yep. And orders of magnitude more more lives will be lost/destroyed because of it. 

The big picture is being lost in the noise of media coverage. Tragic for the individual cases, by far more due to the response. It mirrors the virus: the over the top response is worse than the virus itself. 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Yep. And orders of magnitude more more lives will be lost/destroyed because of it. 

The big picture is being lost in the noise of media coverage. Tragic for the individual cases, by far more due to the response. It mirrors the virus: the over the top response is worse than the virus itself. 

Is your government not helping?  Are they just letting everyone go bankrupt and homeless?

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

The big picture only becomes apparant when someone you know is put in an induced coma with a breathing tube sticking out thier throat.  I can assure you it's not something you want to see.   Even if you put money ahead of lives, we will hopefully start to recognise that there are better ways of doing things,  some types of business are over, and others are thriving even in lockdown.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

The big picture only becomes apparant when someone you know is put in an induced coma with a breathing tube sticking out thier throat.  I can assure you it's not something you want to see.   Even if you put money ahead of lives, we will hopefully start to recognise that there are better ways of doing things,  some types of business are over, and others are thriving even in lockdown.

Or your friend looking after ITU patients goes home to self isolate and is found dead when you get the Police to break in!

The Gov and NHS management are so scared of not having enough staff that whan a test shows negative but the symptoms clearly show they have it, they demand they return to work. Luckily for another ITU friend when she was shivering with high temp but the test was negative, her Matron told her to ignore the **** test result and get to hospital NOW where she met her in the car park and got her straight in to a ward.

ITU staff are dying helping patients, the hospitals view is when they return to work if they recover, well your immune now so back to looking after positive patients then.

Sorry, my wife has been busy the last days contacting her friend's friends to tell them.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Or your friend looking after ITU patients goes home to self isolate and is found dead when you get the Police to break in!

The Gov and NHS management are so scared of not having enough staff that whan a test shows negative but the symptoms clearly show they have it, they demand they return to work. Luckily for another ITU friend when she was shivering with high temp but the test was negative, her Matron told her to ignore the **** test result and get to hospital NOW where she met her in the car park and got her straight in to a ward.

ITU staff are dying helping patients, the hospitals view is when they return to work if they recover, well your immune now so back to looking after positive patients then.

Sorry, my wife has been busy the last days contacting her friend's friends to tell them.

My partneer is a Nurse in the "warm" Covid ward (no resperators these are only in the ICU) and as of tomorrow we are back to issolating from each other so if she gets it I don't and I'm able to get all the grocceries etc without risk of infection, it has been very interesting talking with her.... things like the test we have here only have a reliabilty rate of 60% so they still treat anyone with symtums as infected.... but we are lucky over here we have had only one death from it and our rates of severe (ICU dependent) cases is also very low 

2 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Mate at the end of the day.... where Reserve Bank interest rates are world wide, the Govts were only able to play delaying tactics (Govt spending) to keep the economy's positive for so long... what is happening economicly was going to happen anyway.... if they had kept trading like America well just watch in the news its not good 

I guess it's to give them a fighting chance against the authorities.

Your not allowed a concealed weapon so I'm not sure how you would get treated if you were pulled with one hidden down the side of your seat.

It's also why I never enter into any sort of road rage when I'm there as you dont know what the crazy fool is packing. Someone cut me up once nearly causing an accident, i had to really react to avoid his accident, he looked like snoop dog so I apologised 🤣

8 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

It's also why I never enter into any sort of road rage when I'm there as you dont know what the crazy fool is packing. Someone cut me up once nearly causing an accident, i had to really react to avoid his accident, he looked like snoop dog so I apologised 🤣

As I have a very short fuse and lack of patience (with people) I used to get into incidents all the time. I eventually fell into the fact that all you are doing is [b]swear filter is there for a reason[/b] yourself off over other peoples stupidity.  So now I just let it all go.

I have not been anywhere for nearly three weeks now, except once to shopping. We are fairly isolated here, so except for the odd cyclist and walkers with fixed grins in their new walking boots, it all seems surreal and far distant from us, seeming like just something on the TV happening elsewhere. 

I cannot work from home as we make and sell furniture, so ATM I am not sure if I am going to have a job to go back to. I do like the gift of time though.

• Like 1

More F'ing insanity.

As we saw in the news there were 600 parties in Manchester!

Yesterday in London a drunk 27 year old arrived in A&E with a shattered shoulder he got in a "Lockdown" party (travesty and shows the distain people hold this in). During a pre theater CT scan it became apparent that his lungs were consistant with Covid19 infection. As the staff had treated him for trauma they did not have protection in place! Next a drunk 80 year old arrived from the same party! So much for saving the high risk.

The media are not helping, The Lockdown Law has a three weekly Government review written in to it. The media are suggesting that this means that the Lockdown is only for 3 weeks unless extended!! This is minimum 3 months but continuous unless declared over.

40 minutes ago, Ozzy50 said:

Stupid is as stupid does !

Yep, humanity comes in all shapes and character types there will always be the idiots, stupid, thoughtless, uncaring and downright malicious. There always has been, always will be for as long as humanity survives.

• Like 1

I should think so, spitting at anyone is abhorrent behaviour, but during times like these.... I'm glad he's been locked up, the dirty ******. 

During WW2, is it true you get fines or even a spell behind bars for showing a light at night? Similar principle I think in terms of one idiotic event risking the safety of others. 

I heard in the news that a couple from Leicestershire got stopped towing their caravan up to the lake district for the Bank holiday. Why can't people follow a very basic instruction? To be honest idiots like that should be named and shamed in my opinion. 

• Like 1

A *convoy* of caravans managed to get themselves into a situation where one of them ended up on their side, blocking the M5 for hours and hours, needless to say, the police had a few choice words to say about them.

Needs more than a few choice words.

Police keep saying that action and fines are a last resort, well its about time they did act.

And for those who say "I aint paying that" should have some jail time.

Too many in this country seem to think that it all applies to everyone else but not them.

• Like 3

Its the same here.... a guy put up a FB video of him walking through a supermarket coughing on people and laughing...... ended up pulling the video but not soon enough lol got charged and the best bit publicly humiliated on national news 

We've got the holiday crowd who all think its good for them to cheat lockdown..... a bit obvious when your in a camper van on empty roads lol the police are turning them around or if there rego has been flagged for multiple attempts detaining them 

I was talking to a mate in Australia some of the states aren't messing about $1000 fine..... told me some of his mates were heading to the beach all 4 of them got a $1000 fine 

I'm waiting on a backlash from the 5G conspiricy muppets here..... all there stupid video's and dangerous posts are being taken down lol....   watch out Bill Gates has put his evil plan into place next we will get injected with a nano virus that will turn us all into robots and the rich will rule the world lol 

16 hours ago, De Ranged said:

nano virus that will turn us all into robots and the rich will rule the world lol 

That's pretty much already happened. Its called social media and free market capitalism. 

I think our measured approach is OK. I don't see why parks are being closed, though, when most people are obeying the rules and keeping distance. People in groups should simply be dispersed and/or fined if warranted. Otherwise, you're restricting an area which is vital for many and actually very safe so long as people are passing through at distance and not mixing. Coming down hard on those that are flouting the current guidelines in a deliberate or aggravating way would be far more effective that trying to lock everyone away or keeping them out of wide, open areas. Treat the few idiots as such, and don't penalise the rest of us, I guess is what I'm saying. Won't take long for word to get around, and I'm glad to see that's what seems to be happening. 

There are some ways in which we could do better, though. Very good use could be made of drones for keeping an eye on behaviour in parks, for example. A birds eye view is worth putting dozens of officers on the ground. Just needs a bit of lateral thinking, which is distinctly lacking in the leering "lock em all up. Shoot on sight" noise that seems to have taken hold among many.