Coronavirus

Anderzander

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

Done right I think it can be a good thing ... but it just so seldom seems to be done right.

Trouble is acronyms are only any good if they simplify something... here's a short rattled-off list of a tiny percentage of the ones we use. I've been there 10 years and don't know them all! 

JET
MAST
HFPI
SPI
NBI
NIB
PINI
GIS
GIM
TIM

At work we've an app with our acronym dictionary. 

What's funny is asking people what the acronym they use means, and watching them panic when they can't remember.

14 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Trouble is acronyms are only any good if they simplify something... here's a short rattled-off list of a tiny percentage of the ones we use. I've been there 10 years and don't know them all! 

JET
MAST
HFPI
SPI
NBI
NIB
PINI
GIS
GIM
TIM

There’s an American fellow who does a great set of videos about aviation with a Muppet.  It’s right on the money on all his videos, but a he did a song with a handful of our TLAs and acronyms that was brilliant: https://youtu.be/QgyLEE2TA-I

Reminds me...

In 1989, a random of the journalistic persuasion asked hacker Paul Boutin:

What do you think will be the biggest problem in computing in the 90s?

Paul's straight-faced response:

There are only 17,000 three-letter acronyms.

• Haha 2

On 4/14/2020 at 6:25 PM, Dave W said:

There is a notification system currently in place for all devices, apps and web sites. When you register for a notification a unique code is generated that is then used to identify and "send" notifications to the device. There is no connection required between the notification ID that is used and any other information or data on that device, it can be truly anonymous. Devices connect to the Apple or Google servers and present their unique ID, requesting any notifications for that ID and these are then displayed on the device if a notification is found/returned. The data sent via these notifications is end to end encrypted so the content of a message cannot be read even by the intermediary service.

I don't know the precise mechanism for data collection, there have been suggestions that this will be done when/if the owner contracts the virus and the data upload can then be triggered. The data sent would be just the bluetooth IDs encountered, the receiving system would then need to pair those with notification IDs when needed. It may be that they use a new API rather than the existing push notification services.

The point is that this system has no connection to your device or you. Even in the case that notifications are sent out, the sending system has no way to identify who will pick up the notification. If you like, it works like a dead drop in the world of espionage, the sender has no idea who the notification is intended for. The specifications so far released include new encryption techniques for bluetooth messages so I assume each device will also generate it's own public and private key.

If anyone's interested in the underlying technology and the details of the system released so far there are a number of papers/specs available...
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/04/apple-and-google-partner-on-covid-19-contact-tracing-technology/

Although the UK has now announced that it won't be using this system anyway - but instead a centralised system (which most countries so far have rejected on privacy grounds).

Decent explanation (and the pros and cons of both approaches) on The Register, if you're interested: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/28/uk_coronavirus_google_apple_api/

16 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

That's a no from me, then. There's literally no reason to be doing it that way that isn't entirely nefarious and opens the door for abject abuse down the line. Not now, not ever. Never. 

What do you think the authorities will do with the data, given that most people objecting post every facet of their lives on social media while complaining about invasion of privacy?

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 8:47 PM, landroversforever said:

Sometimes they can get a bit silly but quite entertaining, A while back at work I got called to come up to run a TBT to discuss a JSA and RA and requirement of a PTW for loading a RA in a LWD tool.

Obvious to me but since the tannoy for me literally called it out as above it would have actually been easier to say it in full!

• Like 1

Just been listening to the radio at work for those of you that are on the front line please see my clap for you as I know you won't  be able to hear it thankyou for your efforts stay safe clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap  regards Stephen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know we all need to stick to it, but who else is really starting to get down in the dumps about this? Stuck in the house for days on end (I work from home and my workload has increased since the start of this and my OH is the same) with only a lunchtime walk and some workshop time to spice things up.

If it had not been for my workshop I really don't know how I would have coped with it. Can't wait to find out the lockdown release plan next week. I think something to 'aim' for really helps keep morale up so I really hope the government do something to give us an idea. I know they don't know the exact when and what but a range of times when x will happen would really help I think

4 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I know we all need to stick to it, but who else is really starting to get down in the dumps about this? Stuck in the house for days on end (I work from home and my workload has increased since the start of this and my OH is the same) with only a lunchtime walk and some workshop time to spice things up.

Going slightly stir crazy here :wacko: My wife's a key worker so escapes every day (to a different sort of madness) - but I'm stuck home schooling the kids (or stopping them killing each other). I was supposed to have been ramping my business back up / finishing off some jobs around the house, but getting virtually no time to do anything.

Just now, geoffbeaumont said:

Going slightly stir crazy here :wacko: My wife's a key worker so escapes every day (to a different sort of madness) - but I'm stuck home schooling the kids (or stopping them killing each other). I was supposed to have been ramping my business back up / finishing off some jobs around the house, but getting virtually no time to do anything.

Yep I am there, what I have really noticed about this is how differently my close friends have all been affected by this, examples are;

1 - Full pay go to work for emergencies only and therefore cracking on with house renovation/workshop time

2 - Full pay working loads of extra hours at home can't get out anywhere

3 - Reduced pay and number 2

4 - Builder and loads of jobs outside - work unaffected, pay unaffected and just annoyed they can't go to the pub

5 - Furloughed on 80% sitting at home with nothing they can think of doing

6 - Furloughed but work part time for the fire service normally so now doing Ambulance work

And many more variations! Some are furloughed and the money drop is an issue, some furloughed and getting topped up

Slightly regretting and slightly glad that I left my previous job last year at what used to be Detica.

A close friend is, via his wife not him, is working pretty much 24/7 (well working more than 24h straight then heading home, collapsing for a few hours then going back in) in a small team building ventilators for the NHS.

Another who works in the same group is still working full-time keeping other projects moving along given their nature but has said if it wasn't for work he'd have gone crazy by now.

I’m working from home and classed as a key worker - my wife works evenings with food and is homeschooling our girl in the day time.

We are doing ok - though it’s hard.

I saw a thing that said ‘You are not working from home; you’re at home trying to work in a crisis’ - that’s how it feels.

As above I see a lot of different reactions to this:

I know folk who are managing on their 80% just fine and very happy at home, I know very anxious people by nature who are managing on 80% but who are freaked out and frightened by the whole thing.

In work I see people whose role has exploded and they can’t work enough hours - other whose role has changed beyond recognition - and others who have almost nothing to do. All of which seem to have their own kind of stress.

• Like 2

We are lucky as I am on normal pay, OH on 80% but both working loads of hours from home and the money side is not an issue. 

I really struggle with the isolation of home working and would hate to have to do this full time. I am literally desperate to get back to the office and see real people instead of communicating on zoom all day

• Like 1

I’m lucky I work from home and I don’t mind it. I find it helps to find something to do and concentrate on what you can do (internet, job you have been putting off, build silly things from cardboard) rather than thinking of things you can’t at the moment. I appreciate doesn’t work like that for everyone.