Coronavirus

Anderzander

23 minutes ago, smallfry said:

I am furloughed on what is effectively sub minimum wage, and probably will not have a job to go back to.

BUT, I like being am home. Lucky in that I have loads of space and plenty do here, vehicles, machinery, building work, animals, fencing etc, and have appreciated the gift of time. I can cope with isolation very well, and have often said that if I never had to speak to another human being, it would be fine. Interests and hobbies are the key, and it always surprises me how many people have no interests in anything "real". Watching football and buying the latest club "B" team away shirt or watching F1 is NOT a hobby.

In fact, if I could see a way to get by financially, I would not go back to work. Its such a drag on ones time.

Sorry to hear about the job. I have been speaking to a mate who is also into vehicles but he is off work on full pay. What with doing his house up and rebuilding a 90 he is easily filling all his time. Equally I am filling mine with no difficulty as well, I am working longer hours as this is causing issues at work but then instead of social time when I could have been climbing/kayaking/camping or just in the pub I am now spending much more time in the workshop as there are no other distractions. I am certainly not bored but don't relish the thought of weeks more sat in my study at home.

I think my issue is that I am not that well suited to an office job where I am in one place all the time, I am used to moving around either in the UK or abroad and sitting at home for weeks on end does not fit well with that!

If finacially I didn't have to go to work I would also be more than happy....keep telling my OH to crack on and get promoted so I can retire at 40 :-) I could probably work for 10 years full time and never finish all the projects I have started

I'm still working and I'm enjoying the quietness at work. It means I can crack on and hopefully get more done with out people popping in every so often! I work 4 on 4 off but don't meet rush hour traffic, so I guess other's are being able to get to work quicker than normal, which is good.

I also have plenty to do at home in between doing the weekly shop and looking after my 1 year old daughter. We're also lucky we have woodland nearby and so we've going for walks in amongst the bluebells!

I've also bought a scroll saw, and so I've turned to wood in this crisis until I can get back to my land rover's which are all at my parents house! 

Steve

Sorry if I've missed it but had anyone here actually had the virus?

BTW: Work to live, not live to work. Your job or profession does not define who you are, your character and personality does that. Well, that's what I think anyway🙂

• Like 1

Some of us may well have had it and not really known about it. On the other hand keep in mind there are still quite a few other respiratory viruses knocking about at the moment, particularly in young children. The ones I've heard virologist talk about this week that are being detected right now in the general population are RSV (mostly in small kids) , rhinovirus (common cold) and metapnuemovirus. So keep in mind if have symptoms, it may well be the latter two. 

Has anyone else convinced them self they have a sore throat when watching the news? 

I hope everyone is keeping safe. 

As monkie says there are plenty of other seasonal bugs about.

However anyone presenting with acute respiratory distress with no previous history thereof, a high temperature or a continuous cough may well be infected with covid.

This virus seems to present variously with regard to symptoms in different people.

If you are suffering with new to you breathing difficulties and are worried then call your GP, 111 or 999. 

Mo

• Like 3

12 hours ago, smallfry said:

I am furloughed on what is effectively sub minimum wage, and probably will not have a job to go back to.

BUT, I like being am home. Lucky in that I have loads of space and plenty do here, vehicles, machinery, building work, animals, fencing etc, and have appreciated the gift of time. I can cope with isolation very well, and have often said that if I never had to speak to another human being, it would be fine. Interests and hobbies are the key, and it always surprises me how many people have no interests in anything "real". Watching football and buying the latest club "B" team away shirt or watching F1 is NOT a hobby.

In fact, if I could see a way to get by financially, I would not go back to work. Its such a drag on ones time.

I've been doing better than most.  I have a acute attention deficit issues so having a bit of desk work to do at the start was a nightmare.  I was quite lucky, though, as my boss tends to under-utilise me and didn't actually give me that much to do (he could have snowed me right under).  Once the work got behind me and I could start chipping away at more interesting bits and pieces, it got much better, especially when I realised this wasn't the time to take on any major projects.  Well, just one, I've cut and split around ten cords of firewood!

I've seen this time as a test to see how retirement could work for me (still more than six years away, unless I find a pot of gold beforehand).  If I keep my health, it will be great.  Lockdown, otherwise, has not been bad at all.  While I do live alone, the rules sort of maybe allowed a friend to visit every week with her dog and we've done some huge walks.  It's a real blessing not being trapped in town at a time like this and I acknowledge that frequently.  Also thankful that I shot a deer a week before lockdown, so the freezer is full.  And got in plenty of whisky, chocolate and honey, so I can face the hard times in comfort...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I've had what was very suspiciously like it a while back.

Took about 10 days to get over it.

Same. Mid-february, so before it was officially widespread. But coincidentally about an incubation period after going to a large concert. Sick as a dog, high fever, heavy cough.

The doctor did a blood test, and asked to check for flu strains. According to him the lab forgot to do that bit... I'm starting to think they didn't find any because it wasn't regular flu.

Guess I'll have to wait for antibody tests before I can be certain.

Working, all be it at a heavily reduced rate, has meant I have been in continuous quarantine, not just “lockdown” or distancing, since 19 March and will have to continue for the foreseeable future, May’s roster needing quarantine until at least mid June, but it’ll get extended.  That means I’m not allowed out of the home and am required to be locked away in a single room away from my family.  I am only allowed out to work or for emergency medical treatment.  The rules here mean I’m not even allowed to get food from the kitchen - the rules are that it has to be left at the door of the quarantine room.  It’s excessive and the rostering is entirely unnecessary - they’re not spreading the work about, with 3/4 my colleagues off work, and what we are doing could easily be arranged to minimise the number of quarantine periods, but instead they’re ensuring we go from one directly into another.  It’s pretty miserable.  I can sympathise with healthcare workers, who must be doing this, but at least there is good reason for their work structure; it’s pretty stupid to have so much quarantine if I’m only working two or three days per month.  My colleagues who are also still working are equally fed up, especially those with young kids, and even more those with sick family - I know a couple of guys with immune-suppressed family members, and they’re very worried about infecting them.  Arguably, it’s better than being made redundant.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

You have my sympathy @Snagger. I remember you posted some of this previously but this detail hammers home what seems to be unreasonable rostering and excessive quarantine rules. I hope for your sake and in spite of what you think will happen, that it ends sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, monkie said:

Some of us may well have had it and not really known about it. On the other hand keep in mind there are still quite a few other respiratory viruses knocking about at the moment, particularly in young children. The ones I've heard virologist talk about this week that are being detected right now in the general population are RSV (mostly in small kids) , rhinovirus (common cold) and metapnuemovirus. So keep in mind if have symptoms, it may well be the latter two. 

Has anyone else convinced them self they have a sore throat when watching the news? 

I hope everyone is keeping safe. 

Locally we are doing much more testing than you guys (over 3 times).  Every single person with any symptom is tested.  There is around a 3% positive rate for COVID.  That means 97% of people with COVID type symptoms have a different infection.

I return to work in the morning, all be it in a slightly different temporary role as the person who normally does it is high risk so sheilding.    spending 5 days a week on a large ride on lawn mower over a reasonable chunk of our area so working and  travelling alone, using phone to check in for lone working management.

bit odd as was well into project of fitting mini mud pod into defender ( slow as electrics isnt my thing) but thats now back to weekend work.

in background on call for 4 night shifts a week in a patient transfer service for last week almost since gone live - havent been used yet but with a considerable spike in our region that may change. 

be really sad when alarm goes in morning - havent had one in weeks.   

On 5/2/2020 at 8:55 AM, elbekko said:

Same. Mid-february, so before it was officially widespread. But coincidentally about an incubation period after going to a large concert. Sick as a dog, high fever, heavy cough.

The doctor did a blood test, and asked to check for flu strains. According to him the lab forgot to do that bit... I'm starting to think they didn't find any because it wasn't regular flu.

Guess I'll have to wait for antibody tests before I can be certain.

Likewise. Back in early Feb. Flew out to Spain to prune some Almond orchards. Flew back four days later, then 6 days after I was two weeks with a nasty virus, breathing issues, constant headache etc. Had the edge of a cough ever since...

19 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Have you been for a check, David?

No, but I discussed it with my doctor on the phone. I'm an occasional asthmatic, due to accidental long term exposure to Isocynates. I keep it under control with a high potassium, low sodium diet. However it has made me more inclined to chest infections, which last longer and generally require antibiotics.

What I had in Feb was different. No bacterial chest infection. But so short of breath, some nights were very scary; having to sit up to breath, inhalers not touching it...

Susie and the girls then got it - it barely checked the kids; however Susie, who has a permanent dry cough (years of always being seated by the smoke machine) was pretty rough for a week.

All of us had the same thing, headache, bad joint pain in the hips and lower back, cough but no cold.

My Doctor is staying on the fence, but as and when he can get a spare test kit or bloods, he wants to check. Loads of folk had it round here - two schools were closed back in early Feb (Big Schools); yet we have had no fatalities in the area during Covid 19 Isolation....

I had something with all those symptoms except the chest and breathing.  But sinus issues and congestion are normal here, given the dust and living in air conditioned houses.  The joint pain, mainly legs and lower back, weren’t insignificant.  I wonder if I’ve had it?  Not impossible, given that I was in Beijing on Christmas and Shanghai late last year and shortly before the Chinese let on.  I’ve had three swab tests, but they wouldn’t show anything.  Then again, lots of viruses have similar symptoms.

I hope it clears up soon, anyway - it must be worrying for you.

17 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I had something with all those symptoms except the chest and breathing.  But sinus issues and congestion are normal here, given the dust and living in air conditioned houses.  The joint pain, mainly legs and lower back, weren’t insignificant.  I wonder if I’ve had it?  Not impossible, given that I was in Beijing on Christmas and Shanghai late last year and shortly before the Chinese let on.  I’ve had three swab tests, but they wouldn’t show anything.  Then again, lots of viruses have similar symptoms.

I hope it clears up soon, anyway - it must be worrying for you.

Honestly Nick, I'm fine. My last day off work was the 21st Feb. Breathing wise, I'm as good as I can get. Pollution affects me, so a the huge reduction of it is a blessing. I just have a little bit of an annoying cough, especially when I'm breathing hard. My family is fine. 

As for a test, there aren't enough to go round, so when a spare is available I'll see. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red90 said:

You need to be tested...

Not available for me, yet, I can work from home (have done for 17 years!) so no need to go out, plus it was way back in the last week of March.