Coronavirus

Anderzander

12 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Loads out around here too. I’d love to go out for a spirited drive in the MINI as the roads are quieter. All it’s done since lockdown is a 4 mile pootle each way to the shops and back. 

I know how you feel, we've got a lovely little 998, 1 3/4 SU, Stage 3 head (Rimflow valves and full roller rockers), Cooper cam (nicer than the S cam) genuine Hi-low kit and KAD quick shift, 6X10 deep dish mini light clones (wish I still had the genuine 6x10 magnesium mini lights, mind you the 1558 8 port engine would have been nice too), corners like nowt else, but by God I need a good chiropractor after a long drive!. It also needs the front end welded fully and an MOT...

1 hour ago, JeffR said:

I know how you feel, we've got a lovely little 998, 1 3/4 SU, Stage 3 head (Rimflow valves and full roller rockers), Cooper cam (nicer than the S cam) genuine Hi-low kit and KAD quick shift, 6X10 deep dish mini light clones (wish I still had the genuine 6x10 magnesium mini lights, mind you the 1558 8 port engine would have been nice too), corners like nowt else, but by God I need a good chiropractor after a long drive!. It also needs the front end welded fully and an MOT...

I have to admit mine isn’t a proper one. But it’s a JCW so it drives beautifully. 

On 5/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, Mo Murphy said:

I think the answer to your road cycling friends is a sniper 😊 even when the pandemic is over  😉

On 5/11/2020 at 11:45 AM, Anderzander said:

I’d chip in if we are having a collection for a sniper ? 

Can we include horse riders into the mix? :unsure:

Had a filthy look from one yesterday because I was using a JCB inside my property but apparently because I didn't stop it when the horse panicked 100 yards down the road where I couldn't see her I was a bad person.

To top it all off the horse left a present outside the driveway and she just sodded off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Can we include horse riders into the mix? :unsure:

Had a filthy look from one yesterday because I was using a JCB inside my property but apparently because I didn't stop it when the horse panicked 100 yards down the road where I couldn't see her I was a bad person.

To top it all off the horse left a present outside the driveway and she just sodded off.

Nope, certainly not. Without wishing to open up a well worn debate about horses on the roads it wouldn't have hurt you to have stopped while the horse and rider passed safely by and were well clear of your property. Courtesy costs £0.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Nope, certainly not. Without wishing to open up a well worn debate about horses on the roads it wouldn't have hurt you to have stopped while the horse and rider passed safely by and were well clear of your property. Courtesy costs £0.

Leaving aside whether taking out all horse riders and cyclists because some of them give the rest a bad name (sound familiar?), Ed did say the horse panicked before it was in sight. Don't know whether he stopped the digger when he was aware of the horse, but he can't exactly stop before he's even aware it's approaching...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

If you'd read the message - I had stopped, when I saw her...

The criticism from her was that I panicked the horse when it was 100 yards down the road round two bends and completely out of sight.

Not sure how much more courteous I could have been <_<

3 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

But no you can't add horse riders into the mix.

I just rejoined the conversation with the link to the last comment and read this.  For a moment, I thought we were talking about the Irish sourced minced beef/horse meat scandal from a couple of years ago.  Yep, adding riders into the mix would be considered problematic, and probably a bit icky. 🤢

14 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I just rejoined the conversation with the link to the last comment and read this.  For a moment, I thought we were talking about the Irish sourced minced beef/horse meat scandal from a couple of years ago.  Yep, adding riders into the mix would be considered problematic, and probably a bit icky. 🤢

🤣 🤣🤣

37 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

What's wrong with cyclists.....

In this part of the Peak District the views are polarised. Here we are referring to road bikes being used for exercise and not commuters (generally) and not mountain bikers. Road bikers are subject to a lot of "hate" and if you aren't a rider yourself, then this is completely justified. If you are a rider then it isn't. The arguments never stop.

In the olden days (BC), they were often found to be riding in peloton and even at night. It is impossible to get past in a car as these can be a couple of dozen cycles. Other times they can be seen riding fairly narrow roads with poor visibility, two abreast and they rarely move over, so again you are stuck. If they are riding alone this often seems to be downhill at breakneck speed and frequently exceeding the speed limits.

Guess which view I have 🙃

• Like 2

Quite.

Well, I suppose it also true that every cyclist is different.

As both a driver and a cyclist, I can sympathise with both sides. 

I see pelotons blocking the road and preventing cars from getting past as deeply selfish, and ignorant. They should disperse, much like 4x4s should on a green lane. Highway code states it should be single file for bikes on anything but main roads (or it used to). Equally I find it deeply frustrating when you come round a corner and a group of walkers think that it is a) safe and b) courteous to walk covering the entire width of the country lane. Not to mention people walking on the wrong side of the road (for those people not in the know, you should walk on the RIGHT so you can see traffic coming towards you...)

I see individuals breaking speed limits on bikes down hill as pretty dangerous. However, I see dashing down a hill like Burrington Combe (60 limit, which is approached but not exceeded...) as one of the most thrilling aspects of road cycling. Like anything, it can be done safely and courteously.

Bikes don't have any requirement move over, and on a hill it can be rather tricky, keeping to single file makes it much easier to allow traffic past, and keeping a gap between you and the next person also helps.

You may have worked out that I tend to cycle alone ;)

1 hour ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Leaving aside whether taking out all horse riders and cyclists because some of them give the rest a bad name (sound familiar?), Ed did say the horse panicked before it was in sight. Don't know whether he stopped the digger when he was aware of the horse, but he can't exactly stop before he's even aware it's approaching...

I'd have loved to see her reaction a short while later when she inevitably met one of the silage contractors with their 200+hp tractors and a full load of silage :hysterical:

They're actually pretty considerate around here, well they know there's not a hope of passing each other on the lanes so they set up circuits so they only transit between farm and field in one direction. The locals know this and will usually go the same route to simplify things.

I mean it's not like they've been at it none stop through the day and night for almost a week non stop!

Oh, to add to the cyclists bit, those that think headphones are a really good idea on a bike -especially the noise cancelling ones.

I mean... a bit of personal responsibility......

All these misgivings I have about cyclists, I wonder if I am really one of 'them'.

• Thanks 1