Coronavirus

Anderzander

Victor Meldrew syndrome is only ever one inconsiderate numptie away.

My wife wants to blow up dog owners whose dogs foul the path and don't clean up. She would like a landmine targetting the owner and leaving the dog surprised but uninjured.  (She's a HR consultant, she doesn't like people much).

• Like 2

“Sneaks up on you, doesn't it? The Victor Mildrew syndrome.“

No, not really.  One of my colleagues used to call me Vic instead of Nick when I was in my twenties.  Victor may have been sour, but he wasn’t often wrong!  I think it’s a sign of not being in your own little bubble and being aware of what others are doing and the effects their actions have on people around them.

• Thanks 1

I think it’s a sign of not being in your own little bubble and being aware of what others are doing and the effects their actions have on people around them.

Agree, my neighbours are great familys  with really nice kids, parents will help anyone. But!

They have no idea or understanding of what effect thier actions have on others or even if it is their concern.

I will do things that suit me but I always think of the effect on others.

• Like 2

I  heard about second waves in South Korea and Germany, too.  They can be expected everywhere.  The infection rate has gone up 50% in the UAE in the last few days, possibly because of eased restrictions around two weeks ago, possibly through increased testing accuracy or aiming.  Whatever the reasons, it’s clear that the problem is far from over.

No effective therapy, no vaccine.

Unless you are the last stop on the line, there's very little you can do.

If we could lock down the world for 90 days, it would go extinct, bar obscure science lab samples. But we can't.

A test that catches it as soon as you do, that you can wear like a radiation dose meter, would be a huge help. But we don't have.

Hopefully catching it will give life long immunity, so herd immunity works. But we don't know that.

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Hopefully catching it will give life long immunity, so herd immunity works. But we don't know that.

That is extremely unlikely.  Other corona viruses have shown immunity for no more than two years. If you want to have enough infection to gain herd immunity, you will need to accept the death of 0.5% of the population at a minimum (300,000+ in the UK).

19 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

At 43 too, though I am often referred to as an old man by people that know me....

I haven't been 43 in over 16 years.... I turned Victor Meldrew when my youngest hit 15 in December and had an Xbox controller surgically attached to his hands and a mobile phone surgically attached to his ears.

I like to think that I'm considerate towards others but, like most folks, I have my moments. I stopped drinking (more or less) a couple of years ago and that kinda changed me , for the better.

A young kid who worked with us in the garage had me gob smacked when he announced "it's really nice that an old man like you can still have a laugh with the lads".

Growing older is obligatory, but growing up isn't !

You can be courteous or humorous and still be frustrated by others being selfish or irresponsible.  In fact, it could be argued that being a courteous person makes you recognise others selfishness more readily.  As for humour and frustration, look at most observational stand ups - not many people don’t find comics like Jack Dee or Billy Connolly entertaining, despite their irritability.

20 hours ago, Red90 said:

That is extremely unlikely.  Other corona viruses have shown immunity for no more than two years. If you want to have enough infection to gain herd immunity, you will need to accept the death of 0.5% of the population at a minimum (300,000+ in the UK).

Again, unknown. SARS CoV 1 appears to provide life time immunity. Other Corona viruses don't. We don't know.

I think it's impossible to determine the likelihood at this time. I hope it will be over 2 years immunity.  That might be enough to make the virus extinct.

51 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Again, unknown. SARS CoV 1 appears to provide life time immunity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851497/

Among 176 patients who had had severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), SARS-specific antibodies were maintained for an average of 2 years, and significant reduction of immunoglobulin G–positive percentage and titers occurred in the third year. Thus, SARS patients might be susceptible to reinfection >3 years after initial exposure.

18 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Interesting - but doesn't tell us anything about longevity of immunity to SARS CoV 1. The study was working with stored samples, not fresh ones from subjects who still have antibodies.

I suppose the point is: "we don't know how long immunity lasts".

We can't say it's 2 years, 2 months or 2 decades.

I hope it's the latter, but all we can do is speculate. And hope.

43 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I have a faint recollection of a programme about survivors of a nuclear attack, set initially in Sheffield I think.  But I think that may have been from the mid to late 80s.

I think that's just Sheffield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sheffield was used in a docu-drama to demonstrate what would happen in a nearby nuclear detonation. I think people had 'prepared' by getting ready to rush to a shelter made of cardboard under the stairs or similar.

Yes I do remember the initial series of 'Survivor". Notably for me was a guy who managed to restart a little hydro electric station and they then had power. There was a newer series too maybe in the late nineties I think which was essentially a copy of the first, brought 'up to date'.