Coronavirus

Anderzander

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Threads that was called.

Mo

I think that is the one I’m remembering.  Train passengers that have a crash in a tunnel and make their own way out to a destroyed city.  I think they eventually make their way to Wales.  Bloody miserable plot!

6 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Do any other old farts like me remember the 1970's UK tv series "Survivors"? It's rather dated now but watching the intro and a few minutes of the first episode revived memories and struck a cord with regard to the world today...

I got totally drawn into that ! 

I do feel that, bad enough as this is, it could have been a LOT worse.

A longer incubation period, and a more severe infection. I'm thinking it's a good live fire exercise.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:09 PM, Gazzar said:

I do feel that, bad enough as this is, it could have been a LOT worse.

A longer incubation period, and a more severe infection. I'm thinking it's a good live fire exercise.

Tell that to the thousands who are now dead or incapacitated.

Well I was alert when I popped down to the village shop to pick up some milk and bread at the weekend, alert to the shed loads of people who emerged blinking into the sunlight who flooded onto the roads around the place. Never seen so many pale, pram pushing, backpack wearing individuals shambling about. there were cyclists everywhere too, quite off putting, I was glad to get out of it ...people urgh 😷

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Tell that to the thousands who are now dead or incapacitated.

That's the point. It could have been millions. MERS was worse, except it was harder to catch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

That's the point. It could have been millions. MERS was worse, except it was harder to catch.

It is not over kids.  Spain just did a thorough antibody survey.  They found a 5% average infection rate in the population. There is room for 10 to 15 times more cases and deaths still. It is now just starting to hit areas of the globe.

19 minutes ago, Red90 said:

It is not over kids.  Spain just did a thorough antibody survey.  They found a 5% average infection rate in the population. There is room for 10 to 15 times more cases and deaths still. It is now just starting to hit areas of the globe.

Yup... second spike is always worse; then there will be the third spike, but that's usually smaller...

33 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Spain just did a thorough antibody survey.  They found a 5% average infection rate in the population

This needs a bit more explanation.... antibody testing is not going to give you an infection rate.

27 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

This needs a bit more explanation.... antibody testing is not going to give you an infection rate.

Assuming the sample size was large enough and the test accurate enough, it gives you the percentage of the population who have caught (and survived) the virus. You need a lot more than 5% to get herd immunity (i.e. the chance of the virus spreading is low, because most infected people don't come into contact with enough people who do not have immunity) - I believe the figure you need is more like 70%. That means the virus is unlikely to go away before we have an effective mass immunisation programme rolled out.