Coronavirus

Anderzander

On 6/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I've no desire to contract galloping lung-rot even if it's "only" 1 in 1000 chance of being nasty.

FF

Globally 0.006% of the population has so far died from this pandemic which is 1 in 6000. Whilst I don't like the idea of dropping down dead because of it there is a greater chance of dying in a car crash as the odds are 1in240.

One day we will look back and see that this was completely over the top. (says he who works at home)

6 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

FF

Globally 0.006% of the population has so far died from this pandemic which is 1 in 6000. Whilst I don't like the idea of dropping down dead because of it there is a greater chance of dying in a car crash as the odds are 1in240.

One day we will look back and see that this was completely over the top. (says he who works at home)

What’s different here is the potential - Spanish flu killed 50 million people in the 20’s when next to no measures were taken. So I think 0.006% is due to the measures taken to reduce that impact. We’ll possibly never know what it may have been. 

Somehow I can’t believe the car accident stats are comparable - if 1 in 240 people died in a car accident every year, that would be  1 in 240 people from 75 per cent of all adults aged 17 and over in England (an estimated 33.6 million people) who held a full car driving licence in 2018.

So do we really have (is it?) 140,000 people dying in RTA’s a year ? (If it is that period).

6 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Globally 0.006% of the population has so far died from this pandemic which is 1 in 6000.

1/6000 of death, what's the stats for people who don't die but whose lungs will never be the same again?

If someone said "there's a tiger escaped from the zoo, but don't worry, there's only 1/6000 chance it'll eat you" I'd still avoid unnecessary trips out of the house thanks!

8 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

FF

One day we will look back and see that this was completely over the top. (says he who works at home 

In Scotland we were told by our esteemed leader (please don't even think about talking about that crazy b***h) that if our lives haven't changed because of lockdown then we are doing something wrong. My life has only changed in respect of not getting to Europe so far this year to see my wife!!!

I knew two people personally that have died from it. One 79 and the other 48, so please pardon me for NOT welcoming the slackening of social distancing.

I am happy to stay out of the way for the time being.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Second wave is coming ...

Mo

Yep.  We might the summer before it hits. We might have a vaccine, and we are getting better at treating it.

But I fear we are in for a hard couple of years.

12 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

In Scotland we were told by our esteemed leader (please don't even think about talking about that crazy b***h) that if our lives haven't changed because of lockdown then we are doing something wrong. My life has only changed in respect of not getting to Europe so far this year to see my wife!!!

I reckon she is an improvement, If recent press of Alex Salmond are anything to go by.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

We might have a vaccine

We're not having a vaccine until next year at the earliest, they can't run drugs trials any faster than they currently are, and even the ones that started months ago won't be reporting until January.

7 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

We're not having a vaccine until next year at the earliest, they can't run drugs trials any faster than they currently are, and even the ones that started months ago won't be reporting until January.

And we don't know for sure yet that having antibodies gives any sort of long term immunity against reinfection. If it doesn't then a vaccine might not be the silver bullet we hope for. But let's hope it does. 

28 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Actually, there is a vaccine in testing, and production for delivery in September-october. 

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Actually, there is a vaccine in testing, and production for delivery in September-october. 

.... If clinical trails suggest it to be safe and effective. There is also then a question of how it will rolled out if it does pass the trials. Probably it would be the most vulnerable first followed by health workers and then most of us plebs at the bottom of the list. Then there are the can't be bothered/anti vac brigade. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, monkie said:

.... If clinical trails suggest it to be safe and effective. There is also then a question of how it will rolled out if it does pass the trials. Probably it would be the most vulnerable first followed by health workers and then most of us plebs at the bottom of the list. Then there are the can't be bothered/anti vac brigade. 

Yup, exactly my understanding.

Already in human trials, ~1500 people I think, awaiting results, but they are manufacturing it anyway, in case it works!

I hope people have learned to wash their hands correctly and often carrying on into the coming winter season. I fear I am hoping for far too much though... 

I get really annoyed when see people wearing gloves in the supermarket who touch everything and put it back on the shelf for someone else to pick up. Does this annoy others? It winds me up beyond belief! 

Edited by monkie
Spelling

Yes.... I don't wear any gloves any more, or mask, just careful about what I do, and distance properly. 

Sanitise on way in, and before I get in the car. As much as reasonably can be done.

The worse thing I saw was when I was queuing for the toilet at the services. They had closed the ladies and gents so you had to queue for the single disabled toilet.

Someone came out wearing gloves. I can only presume they were wearing them when they went in, did what they had to do and came out wearing the same gloves as I didn't hear the sink and hand dryer run. 

I appreciate closing toilets helps somewhat with social distancing but it's the one place where you have access (hopefully) to warm water and soap! Which in my opinion are key weapons to fight the spread of the virus (and others) with. I'm constantly shocked by how people don't wash their hands at all after going to the toilet or just wave them under tepid water for a few seconds without soap. 

57 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yes.... I don't wear any gloves any more, or mask, just careful about what I do, and distance properly. 

Sanitise on way in, and before I get in the car. As much as reasonably can be done.

Your mask is for other people (and theirs for you) as if you are infected stops the distance on aerosol virus.  Indoors masks are the way to go. Gloves don’t buy you much your skin can’t do but help remind you to be careful touching your face.

• Like 1