Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Daan said:

I reckon she is an improvement, If recent press of Alex Salmond are anything to go by.

This isn't an improvement just same drivel in a skirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

Your mask is for other people (and theirs for you) as if you are infected stops the distance on aerosol virus.  Indoors masks are the way to go. Gloves don’t buy you much your skin can’t do but help remind you to be careful touching your face.

I appreciate that, but if properly distanced, there is little benefit. Once the '1m plus' comes in, then it is obviously a different situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gloves thing is a bit of joke in my opinion based on the fact people who work in labs have to be reminded how to use them properly in terms of how to change them and when to change them, so I have no hope for the general public using them properly. 

If only people would wash their hands properly and often, stop hugging eachother plus stay away from other people if they don't feel well, we might manage to avoid a second wave. 

Having said that, in the line of business I'm in, STI testing usually is big business. Social distancing is hampering people from passing on their STIs. I guess you can't have it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC news just now showing pictures of liverpool fans celebrating in the streets. No social distancing whatsoever.... what is up with these people?!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a phone call from a group of "off roaders" wanting some advice...

Apparently they picked up a route around Otley that takes 2-3 days and covers around 100 miles of tracks/lanes with some B roads. They'd not researched any of the routes themselves but it was someone's birthday and him and a bunch of his mates wanted to spend a few days driving and camping in the area having driven up from Wisbech. When they got there they couldn't find any of the routes so phoned up the local off road club for help.

I pointed out that they are breaking the law in terms of the lockdown and intending to break the law further by driving routes that aren't legal rights of way. He said they must be legal because someone had published the route on the internet so they didn't need to research them. He was surprised when  I told him that if you drove all the legal unsurfaced rights of way around Otley you'd be done in around 45 minutes and asked me to supply a route for him... which I declined to do.

On the lockdown, his response was, oh well I'm only 40 so it doesn't apply to me... so him and his group of mates are camping together, driving any route that takes their fancy regardless of legal status and no doubt leaving piles of rubbish and carp across the countryside while they are doing it. The ONLY saving grace IMV is that none of them are driving Land Rovers.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daan said:

I reckon she is an improvement, If recent press of Alex Salmond are anything to go by.

They can't replace her at the moment, they have run out of fish related surnames so will have to stick with her until they get a new SMP with a fishy surname. The only alternative would be to change the theme but that would be seen as a U turn by the unofficial opposition.
 

20 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

1/6000 of death, what's the stats for people who don't die but whose lungs will never be the same again?

If someone said "there's a tiger escaped from the zoo, but don't worry, there's only 1/6000 chance it'll eat you" I'd still avoid unnecessary trips out of the house thanks!

I'd get some better trainers, as they say, you don't have to run fast when being pursued by a Tiger... just faster than at least one other person.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I appreciate that, but if properly distanced, there is little benefit. Once the '1m plus' comes in, then it is obviously a different situation.

If you are infected you are spewing out virus with each breath and that’s before any coughs and sneezes. It’s going to be more and go further without a mask and be hanging around in the air.  Inside, masks are way the to go. Everybody just keep their current germs to themselves. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mad_pete said:

If you are infected you are spewing out virus with each breath and that’s before any coughs and sneezes. It’s going to be more and go further without a mask and be hanging around in the air.  Inside, masks are way the to go. Everybody just keep their current germs to themselves. 

Totally agree.

My approach is:

- I work from home

- I shop once a week

- I only shop later in the evening when the shops are dead (5 people in a supermarket)

- no other trips out except for walks/bike/essentials like propane cylinders (ran out yesterday!)

- no contact unless necessary to deliver stuff to shielding people or brief social calls handled outside at a distance.

These measures are not something I made a big effort to do, but with work being the same as home, minimising risk is very easy, and probably worthwhile.

So, chances that I have 'it' are absolutely minimal, I am shielding by any other name except my weekly shop.

So, with a minimal risk of me having it coupled with a 2m+ distance policy a mask is not going to affect the overall chance of me passing it on to someone else.

I explain all this to ensure people are not under the impression I am blasé, and nor should anyone else be. 

Each person must weigh the risk to them and to others and make sure they don't cross any moral threshold. 'everyone must wear a mask' is somewhat unhelpful, as you must take anything said in context, and I hope this post has given that.

P.s. spellcheck seems to be going bananas today, sorry for any typos/missing words.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Totally agree.

My approach is:

- I work from home

- I shop once a week

- I only shop later in the evening when the shops are dead (5 people in a supermarket)

- no other trips out except for walks/bike/essentials like propane cylinders (ran out yesterday!)

- no contact unless necessary to deliver stuff to shielding people or brief social calls handled outside at a distance.

These measures are not something I made a big effort to do, but with work being the same as home, minimising risk is very easy, and probably worthwhile.

So, chances that I have 'it' are absolutely minimal, I am shielding by any other name except my weekly shop.

So, with a minimal risk of me having it coupled with a 2m+ distance policy a mask is not going to affect the overall chance of me passing it on to someone else.

I explain all this to ensure people are not under the impression I am blasé, and nor should anyone else be. 

Each person must weigh the risk to them and to others and make sure they don't cross any moral threshold. 'everyone must wear a mask' is somewhat unhelpful, as you must take anything said in context, and I hope this post has given that.

P.s. spellcheck seems to be going bananas today, sorry for any typos/missing words.

 

Pretty much exactly the same as me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear a mask when in any shops.  It is no big deal.  It is common to wear a mask at work all day long.  People can manage for 15 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear a mask and gloves in the supermarket - they may not make as much difference as other measures, but it all adds up. Though masks and gloves, as others have observed, only work if you're sensible with them - if you handle the mask all the time and handle things that definitely aren't clean with the gloves then you'd be better off without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 12:54 PM, monkie said:

The gloves thing is a bit of joke in my opinion based on the fact people who work in labs have to be reminded how to use them properly in terms of how to change them and when to change them, so I have no hope for the general public using them properly.

Likewise. I deal with surface contamination with both tritium (radiation) and beryllium. As you say, people still can need reminding to do a glove change that use them every day. Let alone joe-public who simply doesn't understand surface contamination of stuff. It amazes me the number of people I see with gloves etc on still touching their face and eating etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gloves tend to give people false confidence and discourage them from washing their hands.  They are directly contributing to the spread of the virus in public spaces.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use a disposable mask or gloves even in the supermarket, at work we are operating a 2m rule & any work that needs the guys to be inside 2m is mask on,

hand washing is much more effective than gloves & sanitiser..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, mad_pete said:

If you are infected you are spewing out virus with each breath and that’s before any coughs and sneezes. It’s going to be more and go further without a mask and be hanging around in the air.  Inside, masks are way the to go. Everybody just keep their current germs to themselves. 

That’s the point - a lot of people complain that masks don’t prevent the wearer from catching the disease, so are pointless, but the idea is to reduce the the chance of an unwitting (or uncaring) carrier transmitting it in the first place.  They’re not to protect the wearer; they’re to protect everyone else.  Some masks work better than others for trapping droplets from coughs and sneezes, single layer cotton (washable) masks or covering by bandanas  and scarves being the least effective, but since those are more comfortable and more likely to be worn continuously, their efficacy may be better overall than a good filter only partially worn.  But distancing is still required in conjunction with the masks, especially the cotton types, and hand washing is still critical.

Face masks and gloves were made mandatory in the UAE in March for any time anyone was outside their home.  For quite a while, that included driving alone in your own car, but that has been dropped.  Thankfully, they also saw the error of the gloves, but a lot of shops here, including all supermarkets, still insist on customers wearing gloves (their security staff supply them as they check your temperature).  They have security guards at mall and many shop entrances (all supermarkets, even when you have already been screened entering the mall) check each shopper’s temperature as you enter, refusing entry to anyone with elevated temperatures (probably calling health officials to have the individual tested).  That is also done at large workplaces like my employer’s HQ.  It has been working, even though it’s irritating to wear a mask.  The communities that did have outbreaks here were quickly isolated, with any vehicles and individuals going in and out needing good reason to do so and all being sanitised with fogging booths for the people and disinfectant spraying arches for the vehicles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy