Coronavirus

Anderzander

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

If it's anything like the bulk of the 4x4 Responses in the UK, you won't last five minutes. The bulk of them are full of very well meaning individuals, but badly trained, if trained at all. Mixed in to the members are what the blue light services like to call "Beacon Addicts" or 'High Viz Fashionista"

Join you local SAR as a driver and support crew. Professional, well trained and well run, with the proper insurance for the job

But as be careful of Mountain Rescue as their training may be highly suspect due to a certain individual who is now training them!

Completely agree with this, 1 of the reasons I haven’t joined 4x4 response. I a, happy to help out but the high vis brigade and the way they go about things means I won the joining anytime soon 

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

If it's anything like the bulk of the 4x4 Responses in the UK, you won't last five minutes. The bulk of them are full of very well meaning individuals, but badly trained, if trained at all. Mixed in to the members are what the blue light services like to call "Beacon Addicts" or 'High Viz Fashionista"

I went to join my own response group.

Walked away after one meeting as it's obvious some are more concerned that their gear is the best than doing a job to help others.  Also the moaning about other groups and the admin side was terrible.

I'm sure there are great groups and i could see some were there to help, but overall a sad experience.

Not sure Basingstoke has a SAR service, we're devoid of rugged coastline, precipitous mountains or misty moors :lol:

Totally get the comments about some of the types 4x4 response attracts, but my view is that they are at least an organised point of contact for when support is needed, and I'll do anything to NOT have to go on bl**dy Facebook to find out who needs a hand!

The chappy did look a bit bemused when I arrived for the vehicle & kit check in the 109, I guess it doesn't have enough amber beacons and I couldn't in good conscience tick the box for "suspension lift" on their sign-up form as it is of course standard height :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have at least half a dozen magnetic beacons kicking around here if anyone needs them ?

Will make you feel much more manly and important. Also got some old socks that you can stuff down the front of your trousers too. :lol:

• Haha 1

Very good, well done.

Is it weird I was already planning on going camping this summer because it is likely the only safe way to get a break!? My camper, my car, my food etc.

Once things are much more settled only, of course.

To add, I am in self isolation at the moment, been showing classic symptoms for 3 days or so, won't be going anywhere apart from walks round me in the countryside until next weekend.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:25 AM, Gazzar said:

Life is too short to waste in an eurobox, I'm going to make my series my daily car, unless I need to bring passengers.

Got a new ignition switch then? :P

18 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Mixed in to the members are what the blue light services like to call "Beacon Addicts" or 'High Viz Fashionista"

Exactly the reason why I walked out many years ago.

Was a noble cause but all they seemed to be interested in doing was fundraising and building the coffers with putting minimal stuff back towards training. I'm sure other groups are different but my experience of a few that I've witnessed in operation doesn't seem to vary too much :ph34r:.

The rather entertaining fact of the matter was last year when Surrey / Hampshire had a day of snow and everything ground to a halt a friend (who also used to be part of the group) phoned up and asked if I could help him get some midwives into their shifts (he knew some of the people in the trust). Later on that evening I saw a post from the group that we'd both walked out of saying they'd had (across something like 70+ members) 10 or so call-outs to ferry people around. The irony was we'd just got back from our 20th trip between us.

I much prefer living out in the countryside though, people have a far more practical response - although we've got more toys to play with now.

Someone asked me a few years ago what the 4x4 Response people do when flooding occurs. Well if the local town floods the fire-brigade or 4x4 Response aren't called. A call is made to the local contractor who'll turn up with a 300+hp tractor and a slurry pump. Not much competition between a fire engine and a PTO driven slurry pump shifting in excess of half a million litres per hour over a kilometer. If ****e really hits then fan they might send a second one :rofl:

• Like 1

I intend to fit the switch tomorrow. I don't expect to be called up until the middle or end of next month, so I'm going to spend the time wisely.

Hmmm, I'm in mixed mode about 4x4 Response.
I was involved in the Peak District branch in the very early days, but later decided that I didn't fit. Note the essential difference previous comments, it was me being a square peg that didn't fit in the round holes that were being imposed by the outside organisations wanting to use our services. The principle outside orgaqnisation being the local County Council, who had to follow their own guidelines.
That was my local branch; because I was organisationally involved I also had 'access' to the National Forum and the know-it-alls in other areas.
I've had enough input from the 'I'm an ex-policeman, therefore I know best' types to last me a lifetime. There weren't any in my neck of the woods I'm glad to say.

A notable story I recall from my time in service involves one of the Orange Light and Badges brigade; he was sitting in a queue on the A38 dual carriageway when blue lights and siren announced the arrival in the mirror of a marked Police car. The Response man, and all the others, pulled to one side. The police car pulled alongside and asked if the lights worked, on receiving the affirmative, the Response man was told to follow, closely, which he did in his little Japanese 4x4.
On arrival at the RTC the Response man was deployed as an early warning vehicle, with the orange lights on. Had he been the quiet type, with just a sticker in the window like me, he would not have been 'available' to assist, so all the bells and whistles were useful.

More recently, after my involvement, some may recall the Toddington Reservoir potential collapse and flooding risk.
DCC called out Peak 4x4 response to assist. The member I spoke to afterwards, socially,  was involved in blocking a road near where road lorries were dropping off building bags full of stone, from where the helicopters were picking them up to place them into the hole in the dam.
I'm sure Peak 4x4 Response were paid something by the Derbyshire County Council, but I'm also sure it was both cheaper than paying their own staff, and more effective than using DCC staff or Police for the same purpose. A big standard 4x4 parked across the road is a fairly effective way of reinforcing a Road Closed sign.
As an aside, my laning friend did point out that low  level work by a Chinook does decimate, more than a little, the local bird population. When a Chinook goes into 'lift' mode anything flying underneath goes into a fatal face plant; the down wash is considerable.

So, although snow and ice would seem to be the natural habitat, they are of use in other circumstances.

Regards.

• Like 1

@David Sparkes - I wasn't intended to come across as derogatory about 4x4 Response and fully aware of the other stuff they do. I'm like you on the fence, there are the good eggs and the bad eggs in all groups. I can see the benefit of lights etc., but some have gone waaaay overboard in my mind. The bad eggs unfortunately tend to stick in your mind more than the good.

I do bang my head against the dash sometimes though after seeing some of the stuff they've done. Cordoning off a road (some of them carry cones etc)., all lights ablazing, blocking the road and standing by waiting for a recovery vehicle to show up. All for a little Peugeot or similar sat on the side of the road broken down, surely pushing it down the hill to the lay-by 20 yards in front would have been more sensible :unsure:.

Anyway enough ranting!

image.png

20 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

That, and the open hostility from the bulk of the public towards us four wheel drive owners the rest of the year is why I didn’t  bother in the past.  Questions about liability and insurance also concerned me.  Now, it’s irrelevant - there is nothing I can do from here anyway.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

That, and the open hostility from the bulk of the public towards us four wheel drive owners the rest of the year is why I didn’t  bother in the past.  Questions about liability and insurance also concerned me.  Now, it’s irrelevant - there is nothing I can do from here anyway.

The 4x4 response groups have their own insurance precisely for this, it's one of the positives of it being organised. Also, I would think "helping the community in a crisis" is one fairly good way of showing people that 4x4 owners aren't all dicks.

Part of the reason for signing up was that a local hospital trust were sending out requests to owners & clubs to essentially do the job of 4x4 response but without the "risk" of having to pay the 50p/mile or whatever they can claim - but they still expected our club to send "vetted trusted people" and organise a central point of contact, callout number, etc. etc... which I thought was just cheeky.

Anyway, I'm giving it a go, see what happens, if it's a muppet-fest I'll walk as there seems to be a lot of ad-hoc stuff via social media these days, it's worse from an insurance/liability point of view but if it helps people out, fair enough.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:41 AM, Bowie69 said:

Is it weird I was already planning on going camping this summer because it is likely the only safe way to get a break!? My camper, my car, my food etc.

Not weird at all was exactly our thoughts hope your symptoms don't develop into CV regards Stephen

Is anyone planning to spend their time improving or rebuilding their LR or other car(s) whilst "social distancing/self solating"?

All of us are in at risk,  as my wife is diabetic, I have severe asthma and our 11 year old has complex health issues including heart issues.

I've decided to spend a bit of time on my Defender and have a Mud Stuff double DIN switch panel, double DIN head unit and sub-woofer to fit! When that is complete, I'm  going to fit a GORE fuel filter housing. When I've finished the Defender, I have a 53 year old Riley to get back on the road!

26 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Not weird at all was exactly our thoughts hope your symptoms don't develop into CV regards Stephen

Well, seems like I am on the mend, fever gone, cough improving, so I'll give it to next weekend before going anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Steve King said:

Is anyone planning to spend their time improving or rebuilding their LR or other car(s) whilst "social distancing/self solating"?

All of us are in at risk,  as my wife is diabetic, I have severe asthma and our 11 year old has complex health issues including heart issues.

I've decided to spend a bit of time on my Defender and have a Mud Stuff double DIN switch panel, double DIN head unit and sub-woofer to fit! When that is complete, I'm  going to fit a GORE fuel filter housing. When I've finished the Defender, I have a 53 year old Riley to get back on the road!

My plans are more house related, as my workshop is at my parents, and they are over 70 and isolated for 12 weeks.....

• Replace some radiators
  • Really get to grips with the garden
  • Some decorating
  • Re-roofing, insulating, and cladding the single storey extension
  • Perhaps surface driveway now we have very cheap credit 

All non-essential car repairs are on hold, the bonus being I can do things that have been put on hold for a few years.

17 minutes ago, Steve King said:

Is anyone planning to spend their time improving or rebuilding their LR or other car(s) whilst "social distancing/self solating"

Yep - only issue is all the parts places being closed & not wanting to spend vast sums of cash on it.

• Like 1

I am totally confused about people. There's a sensible group who follow or do their very best to follow the CV advice. Then there's another group who really don't give a damn. Here in the Peak District it has been as busy as any weekend in the summer. People are all over and there's no way that they are 'social distancing'. The pubs and cafes that have reverted to takeaways now have groups of people standing outside in close proximity not giving a tinker's cuss about 2m separation. Yes the bikers are out too, doing their normal sunny weather quick burns on the straight bits. They are on their own of course but only until the next arranged stop.

One "footpath closed keep away, COVid19 suspected" sign has appeared on a popular footpath and I imagine a few might resort to barricades soon.

173699657_Screenshot2020-03-22at18_31_06.thumb.png.43f442f1b70a9ca62b69304d2a301e52.png

This is a pic of the cafe at Grindleford station cafe, after the rush apparently

1583906116_Screenshot2020-03-22at19_39_08.thumb.png.497f14d1e50443205b938552a8c124c0.png

Edited by Peaklander
Added pics

Not a new thing... Plenty of people don't think the rules apply to them, or are simply too stupid or selfish to care. 

I mean, it's a collective decision, right? Carry on regardless: Lots of people die, possibly yourself included;, health service overwhelmed, long term economic prospects far worse. Do you understand?.. "I'll have a pint and a packet of crisps, and book me a holiday to Spain please". You'll never get through to these kind of *insert expletive here*tards. 

Collectively, we're really too stupid to deserve to survive. #facepalm.

My rant on Facebook today:

so today I went to tesco in Buckingham. Waiting 10 minutes to get in, ok, no problem. I was wearing a face mask. I was the only one. I might have got some looks from everyone, but who cares (Face masks have the added advantage that nobody recognises you). Anyway, the usual no toilet rolls or eggs that we are used to by now applied here too. There was kitchen roll though, problem solved.

The English family's were out in force dragging every member of the family along like they always do, drastically increasing the risk of infection. Social distancing has not made to Buckingham yet, especially in the queues.
The queues for the tills were about ten metres long, all along through the opposing isles.

Tesco has a self scan system. This has the advantage of not needing to queue, which would also drastically reduce the risk of infection, so that is what I used. 1 other person used it too, the rest happily queued up, talking about the devastating corona virus with strangers.

It is the 'everyone need to change except me' mentality that is annoying me. The lack flexibility and adaptation displayed here means things are going to be worse than Italy in about 2 weeks time.

5 minutes ago, Daan said:

Anyway, the usual no toilet rolls or eggs

Shipping them might be tricky but we've got 120+ eggs here to eat between three of us...

No we haven't been stockpiling them (well no more than usual) - normally they're sold once a month at the local produce market that Mum runs but for obvious reasons that was cancelled this month.

I suspect we'll be OK because we've been stockpiling for years, old photo but we've got 50+ ones ready to eat and 120+ growing at the moment. So if we get a little peckish, well lets just say some target practice might be useful :ph34r:.

ZOwPvX55slybOrP1lRj_GutsGmFpk5hb6UdHlWxuPa-3XQ7a8Zki1Bqb-Diis3oQHyugIKR1fJQ3YXNqAfoQOYpMf0quul0rBRyjxeIGFlnirgYf_pcvAXT_fsgyrA_3KcjKkN8o45wBdxntKKmWFmcp-efStY872m5dR6CCNnEzkwXMYXCcluIA3bh3IWsRGdmniH5bPEVMENuChgDdRvau8ai15Y5H--phaF6tWUtXlXMGdC0SoDt7g7I4L7uaNABNuWjaDc2MupGTduRMtmhQOX4UbQELEKvzeIx7PTjjhXkucyxjXiZJV3BsJ9BJRKbFy8wxFLouqr-wqkMej0txcDFyk0dsf2PoulZxuDXvgT59iKaxB6KQKoyrfiKhPZJ5_zMkP5vmJ530LA4DA6vmyGg0zMl-L0dbhqTLsMkwk1xXlflpaciZbMyvVz7oXkDkdC5JHdLiW6lUr4o1qV-rlVq5VkJL8vSJvWQvY7_QQRVmFyAK_gUmwEjLjZNmfqIhXWbaaHCLRL3upyaSRjeMvEVZxCvBmDORtGDFMdH5Im07Sp2vrgUMnXmKB8a7h0O7ksQdq5EHy0gbkfTGXepMDLERnJxZre43MQvHi-bAgLqZtlb229Xb4ks1ObBxfrHP93ibvjdbKABGA1OV5m5w3JARAq9Q692NMW9ESRhX-cwtygz1i2YVThzzQHA=w3461-h1947-no

40 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Not a new thing... Plenty of people don't think the rules apply to them, or are simply too stupid or selfish to care. 

I mean, it's a collective decision, right? Carry on regardless: Lots of people die, possibly yourself included;, health service overwhelmed, long term economic prospects far worse. Do you understand?.. "I'll have a pint and a packet of crisps, and book me a holiday to Spain please". You'll never get through to these kind of *insert expletive here*tards. 

Collectively, we're really too stupid to deserve to survive. #facepalm.

I can see things getting really bad here because of this. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up under martial law.

It would appear that most people in this country are not able to do the right thing of their own accord.

We have to go to the supermarket tomorrow. Will be shopping for ourselves, mother in law, and a neighbour. We will be wearing masks even if everyone else does not.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes, and what will be available.