Coronavirus

Anderzander

Nah we have plenty of loo paper too. If that runs out then there's (I think) at least two bidets in my house :blush:.

To be fair because the eggs are free-range and from the farm if they're kept cold they last for months.

4 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

If that runs out then there's (I think) at least two bidets in my house :blush:.

Could I respectfully point out that the house sounds a tad on the big side or that you at least need to look around it a bit more? 😀

Well I started the month and by looking forward to a slow reduction in customers and day to day small jobs so I could focus on a couple of restorations I'm working on, plus maybe make a start on one or two of the projects in the yard, building a new compressor housing, some maintenance etc.  Then my short trip to South Africa to buy stock, sort out some imports ended in a frantic dash to exit the country before the S hit the F, a sudden exit of income, all my money sat in a container going nowhere in Durban and the marvelous news that the guy chasing me for bills gets his wages paid while I can apply for and get rejected for £95 per week.  Such is the life of the sole trader, not the first knock or the last- got a few bottles of red stashed, clocks change soon and half a tank of diesel so bring it on 👊😎

6 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Could I respectfully point out that the house sounds a tad on the big side or that you at least need to look around it a bit more? 😀

If I must choose then probably the former... :blush: although the second does hold true somewhat. I do go into most of the rooms daily for my round shutting shutters and curtains but if you exclude ensuite bathrooms then I only miss out a storage room, one bedroom + attached living room, the cellar, two cloakrooms, and a bathroom. Maybe if I start counting rooms now I'll have an answer for when you inevitably ask :ph34r:.

• Haha 1

Been running the slurry tanker all day at work , couple of miles round trip from farm to field and I’ve never seen as many families out walking the area , loads of cyclists , loads of old folks in their cars (at least they were staying in their cars !) . My cousin politely pointed out to one family that they were wandering around his winter wheat crop which has just nicely started to shoot , they had obviously never been in the area and were 1/2 a mile off the footpath ! The only thing that will save people from their own stupidity is being locked down ! 

Just about every time it is mentioned on the news, it is stated they effectively do nothing after a very short amount of time.

Psychologically quite effective though, and at least stops you from touch two of the virus entry points into the body.

• Like 1

Yes it’s mucky , I’m just cleaning it now . Tuck mi beard in and away I go ! Got hospital on weds so need to ring and see if my appointment is still on 

edit , got some proper bio filters for it too 

image.jpg

Edited by Ozzy50

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Why are you expecting everyone to be wearing a mask, when it’s been proven that they offer no material benefit?

But they do. They do not offer much protection from GETTING the virus yourself, but they certainly do help other people from you giving it to others. 

My partner is a nurse who has been trained to deal with contagous deseases, I've just flown out of Sydney airport without a mask...  currently in isolation in case I touched the virus 

The hardest thing was trying not to touch my face..... the more you think about it the more your face itches lol 

The real risk from this virus is it can sit on a surfave for hours, even metal surfaces.... so when you touch the surface it is transfered to your hands and then you itch your face you run the risk of contamination 

Ozzy..... if you want to do it right just wear your grinding face sheild, that should stop you touching your face lol

Smallfry .... the mask stops you touching your nose or mouth, carrying the virus from your hands to your face 

My personal concern isn't about the virus.... it gets you or it doesn't... its no different to driving down the road 

Its economic.... I think this is the bump that trips the world into a depression.... reserve interest rates are increadably low ( Australia is less than a percent) both Australia and New Zealand are using taxes to fund massive public works to boslter the economy and now...... thanks to this little bump, exports and imports are stopped, businesses that can't work from home are ceasing trading.....  

6 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

My personal concern isn't about the virus.... it gets you or it doesn't... its no different to driving down the road 

Its economic....

This. I'm envious of those worrying about rice, bog roll and not being able to go to the pub: I can see what's coming and it isn't pretty. The loss of life (in every possible respect; not just people dying) will be orders of magnitude worse than the virus itself. None of us are about to have the life we thought we would. 

Sing it with me?

How sweeee-eee-eeeet to be an idiot....

• Like 2

It may not prove to be that bad - a few months of disruption for some and back to work.  If you're in food, pharma or bog roll life's about to get good. The environment and our practices may improve as a result. The first & second world wars were incredibly costly and will make this look like a round of drinks but life went on afterwards. And like the last war there's a good opportunity for some to come out of this with advantage if cards are played right. 

What amazes me with some of the photos appearing from people on social media berating queues in supermarkets, outside this or that establishment, lines of parked and moving cars in tourist spots is that the poster themselves were part of the problem, yet people being out and about it is the fault of all those "others".

It's all very tribal and rather pathetic, people love to blame everyone else but fail to see the irony of their own actions.

"Cor look at all these people in this bloody queue, look how closely they are standing to each other, fecking eejits should be ashamed of themselves!" "Me? Well, yeah, I was there too but getting my shopping is vital, all these "others" shouldn't be out should they".

I see that kind of self justification time after time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

The environment and our practices may improve as a result.

This may be the one shining light: Irrefutable climate and pollution data, the likes of which would have been unthinkable three months ago. Likely a collapse in cheap flying, and hopefully less stuff pointlessly shipped around the planet because its "cheaper". One can but hope. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

The rise of selfishness has continued unabated since WW2, so what can we expect.

Some of the worst case projections for UK suggest 500,000 deaths, and the government will consider it a 'win' if it is only 20,000. 

I'd like to suggest it *is* serious.

The virus can live on plastic and stainless for up to 72 hours at 21C, longer if cooler, and 24 hours on cardboard. If you think something you have brought into your house is safe, it just isn't....

18 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

the poster themselves were part of the problem, yet people being out and about it is the fault of all those "others".

It's all very tribal and rather pathetic, people love to blame everyone else but fail to see the irony of their own actions.

Me? Well, yeah, I was there too but getting my shopping is vital, all these "others" shouldn't be out should they".

Don’t be so quick to judge. I shared photos that were on my village fb group. Yes someone took one from a footpath and someone else took one from over a wall. The photo takers are local residents not going out. The subjects have come from far and wide. I can see some of the incorrect behaviours from my house.

There’s nothing wrong if you go for a walk with correct spacing. There’s a lot wrong about wandering around in groups, standing drinking takeaway beer in groups and queuing as per normal at an ice cream van.

I suppose I had better come clean; I am a 4x4 responder, my 110 has discrete orange lights that I have turned on three times in the last 12 months, road marshalling for a national cycle race, parade marshalling for Battle of Britain Day and road closures for Remembrance Day.

I'm treasurer for Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 response and a trustee for 4x4 Response UK.

We are waiting for our Local Resilience Forum, (LRF, the replacement for the old civil defence structure), to decide how to use us. We are expecting to be used as transport for pharmacy meds to the self-isolating and similar.

Each of the roughly 35 regional groups are different and some are much more rigorous than others. We, (L&R4x4R), try to get all responders a recognised first aid qualification and training time for public events marshalling and a bit of light recovery. More than half of us are also Police Community Volunteers, so DBS checked and trained.

At the moment, I have stepped back as a responder as I am "vulnerable", (asthmatic diabetic with high blood pressure), so I'm group controller.

If you meet a 4x4 response idiot, please let me know as we are trying to raise our game nationally. (Although I appreciate that the orange fetishists, the jobsworths and the tinpot napoleons are easy to ridicule).

• Like 1