Coronavirus

Anderzander

5 minutes ago, Red90 said:

You are incorrect.  You need to follow proper usage guidelines,, disinfecting the mask and yourself when you exit the hot area.  It will protect you when used correctly. I've used this sort of PPE for many decades while working.

True, most people haven't that that experience. So for most people it's a waste of time. And will deny the masks to those who do need them (who haven't been trained either, but should help stop them getting infected when some dikhead spits at them).

• Like 1

Just received a text from the NHS saying that they have identified me as someone at risk etc.

I'm not surprised at that, however they don't even want me to go outside of the 4 walls of my house!! I certainly will not go to shops, but I will go to my garden and garage!

8 hours ago, Snagger said:

No, because it’s not disposable.  Unless you thoroughly disinfect the entire thing each time you take it off to have drink or eat (or any other reason), and disinfect your hands at the same time so it’s all sterile before putting back on, it’s worse than no mask at all.  Partly because you’re almost certain to wear it contaminated, and partly because the feeling of protection would serve to diminish concerns over being in a contaminated environment.

Besides, only full on respirators cover the eyes, which are highly likely to be another infection point.

I can quite easily and happily disinfect it 👍🏻
I am disinfecting my hands whenever necessary atm with Hibiscrub , the stuff surgeons use when they scrub in , we have it for the pigs and luckily I have half a gallon so got some in the house , the workshop and my car !

My social contact is very limited anyway so might only need to use it once or twice . 
Better na nowt anyway !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L19MUD said:

That's that then, UK full lockdown except for essential requirements. Not unexpected

As of tonight thats us as well in New Zealand 

43 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Question for you lot then... Do you reckon I’m allowed to go to my workshop? I wouldn’t be interacting with anyone, straight there and straight home :unsure:. I can’t decide. 

I'm going to.... talking to different buisnesses alot of them are deemed "esential" and will be working just not dealing with public and using couriers and delivery to drop off pick up etc 

49 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Question for you lot then... Do you reckon I’m allowed to go to my workshop? I wouldn’t be interacting with anyone, straight there and straight home :unsure:. I can’t decide. 

Cycle / run there then it's your exercise.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Best not. Unless, as suggested, you exercise to get there. Possibly.

We have to decide: is it right to do exactly what they say, or try to circumvent it?

If we circumvent it, will that encourage the idiots to do likewise and then the PTB will bring in vicious state control, rather than our current benign state control?

Consequences.

Not bothered about the idiots coming to harm, at all, but the powers will use non compliance as an excuse to bring out the army, I don't want to see them on the streets again. Ever.

I'm staying put. Walk the dogs once a day. Shopping twice a week. But I do have the luxury of the workshop on site, so it's easy for me to say that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I'm going to. Its a mile from my house at my parents but the yard is a long way from the house and a separate entance that my old man has agreed not to use and not use the workshop. I won't be outside between my drive and the workshop so I don't see this as a risk or trying to break the rules. 

We have enough food to last us 2 to 3 weeks so we won't be coming into contact with anyone for quite some time

Only annoyance is the Transit MOT expires 9th April. Don't think I will book it in for a new one

Bon Courage you all !!

We're a week into ours here in France and for us it is not too bad.

We have offices, workshop and the horses here on 3 Hectares so no really worries. It is very, very quiet but we'll live.

Make the best of it !

5 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Only annoyance is the Transit MOT expires 9th April. Don't think I will book it in for a new one

Check this out:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-03/coronavirus-government-to-review-mot-testing-for-cars/

May already apply depending on the transit, and may apply for all motor vehicles in the future.

• Like 2

They've already extending it for commercial vehicles so I think it's inevitable they'll do it for cars too.

I'm in the unusual situation of the Defenders MOT expires in April but at the moment I shouldn't really use it as the brake pads are completely worn out. Although Bearmach have confirmed the order with new pads has been shipped so hopefully they're on the way.

Although working from home, having plenty of projects to get on with here and having substantial reserves of food mean I don't really need to go out.

Just wish I had bought a digger before now though... 

5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Check this out:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-03/coronavirus-government-to-review-mot-testing-for-cars/

May already apply depending on the transit, and may apply for all motor vehicles in the future.

Interesting. Looks like only HGV qualifies at the moment. Its a 3.5ton tipper so the light van comment threw me but if they allow HGV I wouldn't have thought they would cut class 7 vehicles out of it? Seems silly to book it it. I could just bike except when we need more logs once a week

On 3/20/2020 at 4:54 PM, Nonimouse said:

If it's anything like the bulk of the 4x4 Responses in the UK, you won't last five minutes. The bulk of them are full of very well meaning individuals, but badly trained, <..>

not all - COTAG 4X4 Response are impressive in their training, with all members being advance drivers, with first aid and radio (  amateur) qualification...

What I see on here is a great amount of common sense actually.

People looking at what the restrictions mean, with a will to comply. 

It is encouraging.

Pragmatism and a bit of thought is a useful thing in these times. 

For instance, if your workshop @landroversforever, is 10 miles from your home and by going there a few times it will mean you have to fill up with fuel sooner than you might, then really, no, it is not helping the effort. A fuel station is going to be a pretty good spreader at this time, and no contactless on a tankful....

If you can cycle there, then I don't really see a problem. Avoid other people completely and effectively you are safe. However.... if you manage to injure yourself and need to go to A&E you are a huge drain, so think about that..... do less dangerous stuff? Potter and tidy, rather than do that chassis swap, for example...

Consider and decide for yourself, but do consider.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

@landroversforever fuel station is going to be a pretty good spreader at this time, and no contactless on a tankful....

Work dependant me and my wife who is a nurse are now carrying nitrile gloves in our cars specifically for refuelling purposes for the few times we have to regards Stephen

3 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Work dependant me and my wife who is a nurse are now carrying nitrile gloves in our cars specifically for refuelling purposes for the few times we have to regards Stephen

Yup, I think I have a box kicking around here, and will be digging them out before I come out of isolation, otherwise it might have to be the marigolds(!) 😛 

(Obviously sterilised well on return home, it is more a psychological thing that would stop me putting bright yellow things near my face! ....and perhaps give other people the message.)

• Like 1

You used to have clear polythene gloves available at fuel stations to stop fuel getting on your hands as most of them invariably leak or start leaking at some point I would have thought fuel stations would reinstate these as a duty of care to motorists to help in the cornovirus effort regards Stephen

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

Because for some reason in 2020 you lot still don't have pay at the pump :glare:

Yes we do, had it for years! My local one even in darkest Somerset is card only, and completely unattended.

It is still a wonderful virus spreading device.