Coronavirus

Anderzander

32 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

What I see on here is a great amount of common sense actually.

People looking at what the restrictions mean, with a will to comply. 

It is encouraging.

Pragmatism and a bit of thought is a useful thing in these times. 

For instance, if your workshop @landroversforever, is 10 miles from your home and by going there a few times it will mean you have to fill up with fuel sooner than you might, then really, no, it is not helping the effort. A fuel station is going to be a pretty good spreader at this time, and no contactless on a tankful....

If you can cycle there, then I don't really see a problem. Avoid other people completely and effectively you are safe. However.... if you manage to injure yourself and need to go to A&E you are a huge drain, so think about that..... do less dangerous stuff? Potter and tidy, rather than do that chassis swap, for example...

Consider and decide for yourself, but do consider.

Definitely considering, the last thing I want to do is increase any risk for anyone. The workshop is about 3.5 miles to drive each way, or about 1.8 to walk or cycle. I might have to walk there the first time as my bike is buried up there :lol:. Lots of things to consider.

Just now, landroversforever said:

Definitely considering, the last thing I want to do is increase any risk for anyone. The workshop is about 3.5 miles to drive each way, or about 1.8 to walk or cycle. I might have to walk there the first time as my bike is buried up there :lol:. Lots of things to consider.

The fact you are asking is considering! It is encouraging ;) 

Still a 25 minute walk won't kill you.

37 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

It is encouraging.

For instance, if your workshop @landroversforever, is 10 miles from your home and by going there a few times it will mean you have to fill up with fuel sooner than you might, then really, no, it is not helping the effort. A fuel station is going to be a pretty good spreader at this time, and no contactless on a tankful....

If you can cycle there, then I don't really see a problem. Avoid other people completely and effectively you are safe. However.... if you manage to injure yourself and need to go to A&E you are a huge drain, so think about that..... do less dangerous stuff? Potter and tidy, rather than do that chassis swap, for example...

I think you have hit the nail on the head here Bowie. It is about making choices that go with as opposed to against what the government is try to achieve

I filled the Transit up to the brim the other day before this all kicked off and a 2 mile round trip once a day is going to be a very long time before I start to get low. We have the wifes car also brimmed so she can go shopping when required. More of a problem is going to be running the battery down so need to dig out a trickle charger!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

The workshop is about 3.5 miles to drive each way, or about 1.8 to walk or cycle.

If it were me and I was working at home / not working then I'd probably consider that a daily form of exercise. One thing to perhaps bear in mind is on the route do you have to open any gates etc., because that'd be where the risk lies.

When I lived in Surrey I'd probably cover 5-10 miles a day walking the dogs so I think that's a reasonable distance for your daily exercise. So what you need is a Labrador puppy (more reliable than girlfriends and loyal to a fault) :hysterical::

DSC_0241.thumb.JPG.a13592ca2f1a3140e6eda0c420de705e.JPG

Wonder what's going to happen in a few weeks when it's time to offload the puppies. One isn't too bad because it's destined for my folks a couple of miles away but one is going to Bristol and another to somewhere near / in London. Don't really want to have to start dealing with this level of s***e for several months!

• Like 4

I am using up my holiday this week so I am at home anyway. I have a MOT booked for the Freelander tomorrow morning, so I have phoned the garage to see if they are there, and they are ! Got a large backlog and people want their vehicles apparently. So, do I go ? Need to sell it so obviously needs an MOT, but will any buyers be about in any case ?

I need timber to do some things here, and the local timber yard is open too. As are Screwfix and Toolstation. Do I go ? 

Lots of people round here seem to be carrying on regardless. Up the road a house is having an extension built, and guys are there working on it !

Guy was coming here this afternoon to service SWMBOs sewing machine, and was still coming, so she has cancelled him. He's not happy !

Lockdown does not seem to be happening here ……………..

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

If it were me and I was working at home / not working then I'd probably consider that a daily form of exercise. One thing to perhaps bear in mind is on the route do you have to open any gates etc., because that'd be where the risk lies.

That's a very good point.... lots of gates on the route I'd walk or cycle 😕 

8 minutes ago, smallfry said:

Lots of people round here seem to be carrying on regardless. Up the road a house is having an extension built, and guys are there working on it !

Specific advice this morning from Gove, this should NOT be happening.

31 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Specific advice this morning from Gove, this should NOT be happening.

I thought he said builders were OK as they're out in the fresh air... as long as they're keeping a distance & washing their hands, natch.

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought he said builders were OK as they're out in the fresh air... as long as they're keeping a distance & washing their hands, natch.

They should not be visiting residential homes where another household is being told to stay home, it is mixing household contact. Same for all other handyman type jobs. No visits from the sky bloke because your box isn't working properly etc.

Builders on a large open air building site, new builds etc are still to go to work.

Why they are singled out I don't know, but seems to me that the photos of the tube this morning a lot of the blokes had 'construction wear' on....

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Thanks for reminding me, I wa Mildly miffed at the expectation of not being able to drive to my isolation workshop but had forgottrn I can cycle there via a green lane.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:03 PM, smallfry said:

But they do. They do not offer much protection from GETTING the virus yourself, but they certainly do help other people from you giving it to others. 

True, I know of three ITU nurses (2 personally) who have become infected after treating isolated patients in their hospitals which suggest that the protocols and PPE are not sufficient. One stated that the NHS Contagious Disease Protocol mask in use is NOT the WHO approved one.

Even worse is that despite the UK WHO (and supported by a representative from Imperial Hospital Trust) saying that the important step is to investigate the transfer paths, Neither hospital involved in the nurse infections are investigating why they became infected despite having the protocols in use!

Had this been an industry accident H&S would be shutting the activity down until a resolution has been reached.

I am sat at home at the moment waiting on a decision on whether I will be needed for work, a lot of others will be doing the same I know, except I live in Devon but for work I need to fly to Aberdeen (not allowed to drive at all by company rules, got to be public transport so taxi then train, bus, flight another taxi, hotel over night, taxi, then helicopter) and then fly in a very cramped helicopter for several hours with a bunch of other guys who will have also come from all over the country, not the best of situations. My more major concern if it happens will be coming home and potentially bringing the virus with me or getting whilst travelling home and infecting people locally. Whole process sounds like a good way of spreading infection around the country.

Still waiting for official information from the company, but if asked I will have to go or face a disciplinary warning, at a time when the price is low and redundancies quite likely refusing anything is something I need to think about and only do for very good reasons.

Oil industry is considered essential so by the rules we are allowed to travel but not sure if its a good time to be starting new projects (I work drilling new holes not with production), I expect there will be a lot of meetings going on but it would probable take official intervention to stop new projects and just man installations with a minimum operating and maintenance crew. 

We work supplying the construction industry, all of our customers are remaining open, so are still operating but on a reduced service. Going down to one person in the office and alternating, home the rest of the time. Factory is fairly automated so changed the workload around. Only making what we need to on a 3 day week and putting people in different buildings so they aren't together. I had flt trainers, a software demo, kitemark audits and flt servicing booked in which i've cancelled. We have containers coming in so the storeman is coming in to unload those. Our shipping company has 32 containers of paper cups in transit and the company who has ordered them have shutdown and aren't taking them. They have no idea where to put them.

Do we have to hide away until there is a vaccine discovered, tested, 7bn doses manufactured, distributed and administered or is there another plan? Increase NHS capacity then let more of us catch it or?

20 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

Do we have to hide away until there is a vaccine discovered, tested, 7bn doses manufactured, distributed and administered or is there another plan? Increase NHS capacity then let more of us catch it or?

No, vaccine is realistically 15 months away.

However, if the curve is flattened sufficiently, then things go back to normal more quickly.

There are therapeutic treatments going for testing, which will help to ease load on NHS.

Plus huge increase in NHS capacity through extra doctors, more ventilators (more than doubled so far) allows more care for more people.

With increased capacity and effective therapeutic treatments, restrictions can be relaxed slowly.

However, It is likely that the 2m social distancing will be in place for a long while yet, 6months or so.

Not from me, from scientific papers, extracted and made a little more readable :p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

When I lived in Surrey I'd probably cover 5-10 miles a day walking the dogs so I think that's a reasonable distance for your daily exercise. So what you need is a Labrador puppy (more reliable than girlfriends and loyal to a fault) :hysterical::

DSC_0241.thumb.JPG.a13592ca2f1a3140e6eda0c420de705e.JPG

Wonder what's going to happen in a few weeks when it's time to offload the puppies. One isn't too bad because it's destined for my folks a couple of miles away but one is going to Bristol and another to somewhere near / in London. Don't really want to have to start dealing with this level of s***e for several months!

Aaaaw look at them, gotta love Labradors, I have 3 and some of these...

IMG-20200319-WA0021.jpg.6dbe611f0f2101e2235466ad06122838.jpg

Born last week, essential vet attention on Friday that would be impossible now.

16 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

No, vaccine is realistically 15 months away.

However, if the curve is flattened sufficiently, then things go back to normal more quickly.

There are therapeutic treatments going for testing, which will help to ease load on NHS.

Plus huge increase in NHS capacity through extra doctors, more ventilators (more than doubled so far) allows more care for more people.

With increased capacity and effective therapeutic treatments, restrictions can be relaxed slowly.

However, It is likely that the 2m social distancing will be in place for a long while yet, 6months or so.

Not from me, from scientific papers, extracted and made a little more readable 😛

Good answer it inspires confidence that we won't be locked down for the next 3 years at least! 

• Thanks 1

From South China Morning Post today.

China’s Hubei province will lift travel restrictions on outgoing travellers starting March 25, 2020, officials said. While Wuhan, the provincial capital and coronavirus epicentre, will see its curbs eased on April 8

6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

It is encouraging.

I don’t find it encouraging at all - I see a lot of people here finding tenuous way to justify their wilful breaking of the quarantine.  You mention the right points - people working on their vehicles or other projects are not only going out and potentially spreading the virus, but unnecessarily exposing themselves to risks of accidents that the NHS will have to treat them for while inundated with the ill.  As for the insistence by others that their masks will protect them, that is sheer ignorance, contrary to the explicit information from health officials the world over, and their arrogance that they know better is disgraceful.

It’s a crappy situation that no one wants, with some already badly affected through illness, redundancy or pay cuts, and members on here can only think about the fact that they’re bored and that their entertainment or satisfaction is more important than society.  The worlds health experts and governments are unequivocal in what they say - STAY HOME except for ESSENTIAL reasons.   Please don’t waste the time of the Police, who’d have to question you and be taken off more important tasks, or risk the resources of the health services by thinking your hobby more important.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red90 said:

How is someone working on their own vehicle breaking a quarantine?

It’s not, if it’s at your home address, but unless you’re only doing minor tasks, you’re engaging in a task that risks injury and the need of overstretched health services.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I don’t find it encouraging at all - I see a lot of people here finding tenuous way to justify their wilful breaking of the quarantine.  You mention the right points - people working on their vehicles or other projects are not only going out and potentially spreading the virus, but unnecessarily exposing themselves to risks of accidents that the NHS will have to treat them for while inundated with the ill.

It's not quarantine, this is self-isolation.

Also, blindly following rules means people resent them and break then wholeheartedly, leading to a far worse situation.

The important thing is that the spirit of the law is followed, not necessarily followed to the letter.

It is not tenuous malpractice that is being considered here, it is asking the right questions, which allows people to make the right decisions of their own accord. Thankfully we are not a police state where people are being welded into their homes, or shot in the street for breaking isolation like over in China.

Most importantly of all, relax about it all.

Just now, Snagger said:

It’s not, but unless you’re only doing minor tasks, you’re engaging in a task that risks injury and the need of overstretched health services.

It was mentied above that doing big jobs which are higher risk are not a good idea for that exact reason.

I personally will be fitting interior trim and doing some wiring. There is more risk of me injuring myself cutting the grass, which incidentally I can't do as I have no petrol!

1 minute ago, L19MUD said:

It was mentied above that doing big jobs which are higher risk are not a good idea for that exact reason.

I personally will be fitting interior trim and doing some wiring. There is more risk of me injuring myself cutting the grass, which incidentally I can't do as I have no petrol!

Quite, common sense.

If we all allowed overwhelming anxiety to overcome us we wouldn't get anything done at all.

Just don't put the trim clips in your mouth @L19MUD, might choke! :)

• Haha 1