Fuel tank noise

Snagger

Hi all,

I have twin front tanks with under-seat fill on my 109.  They’ve always been noisy when the vehicle is rocked from side to side, a dull metallic clonking. I used to think it was the level sender units, but came to suspect the telescopic filler/strainer necks.  I’m away from the vehicle, so can’t test the idea by whipping them out and giving it a shake, but has anyone else come across this and a cure that keeps the necks quiet while installed?  If it is them, I was considering stainless steel hose clips (like used for thwarting handle and jack stowage) with one “arm” trimmed off, mounted in a tripod to the tank floor to secure the lower end of the neck when retracted.  Anyone tried something like that?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

They are quieter when full, which is why I’d assumed it was the sender float arms.  The filler extensions don’t seem to have any guides inside the tank on either tank, just the neck they sit in.  I wonder if a loop of narrow fuel hose run in a ring around the top of the extenders would give something for the cap to press down on and keep them still.  The simple solution is probably just to remove them - with three tanks, I don’t have much need for fuel cans and don’t carry one, and the extenders have strainers that’s significantly slow refilling.  It just seems a shame to remove something that can have a benefit and is already fitted!