Defender screen rubber

Hello All.

I got a problem with a windscreen rubber.. I ordered a new rubber, part number LR 056278.  It arrived and has been sat around waiting for the weather to improve,,,,,,,, well I got it out today and,,, well I think its the wrong rubber. it has a slot for a filler lace,,, the one fitted to the car hasn't,,,, ive checked the part number incase I ordered the wrong one but there is only one number,,,,,,,, so anyone got a picture or sketch of just how its fitted, its really odd shape.

Cheers Tom

Hello Western,

Well kinda helps but what I need to know is what is the cross section of the rubber like, mine appers to have 2 grooves/slots going in the same direction  am I just not getting the picture, ill try and post a picture or a sketch.

Tom

Edited by Remington Rolling Block

I fitted my own windscreen a few years ago and can honestly say the the rubber takes some figuring out!?!

Sadly without someone showing you it will be hard to explain,  but it is almost like the rubber is in side out....

From your profile i would say glass in the larger gap and the frame for the smaller thinner gap?

Are you looking to fit this yourself???

Look on YouTube think there is a link/video on the forum where a guy uses a washing line rope method, i followed it EXACTLY when i did mine and it worked perfectly!.... Some say to use washing up liquid to help, this guy didn't and neither did i. Well worth a look, might even help you figure out how the seal goes!?!

Its not the method of fitting that's the problem. Ive fitted many screens in the passed.... its the profile of the rubber I have, all the rubbers ive come across have the body slot and the glass slot opposite each other and a filler lace in the middle,,,,, on the rubber I have there are 2 slots , a narrow one for body and a wider one for glass,,, but they go in the same direction,,, plus no one lists a filler lace,,,,,, so why have I got 3 slots ???????? 

Hi C/Shifter,

My sketch doesn't really show the third groove, I am calling the filler lace groove, but im glad some one else can see what im getting at. Id cut out the old one to check but with this damn lock down I cant risk not getting a replacement if what I have is wrong.............. lol rock and a hard place. ill try and get a picture or 2 they may help

Tom

Well i'm IMPRESSED!!!......Looks like you have 3 HANDS!!!.....God what i'd give to have that!!! 😂

But on a serious note that doesn't look how i remember my seal!?! Pretty sure the one i had the x3 channels DIDN'T need to be pulled apart and were easy to differentiate!?!....

As stated think this is not the right seal? And to be honest you are better getting  a Genuine one as others lack in quality and this affects fitting and sealing! I went for an OEM and it was spot on, just can't remember who from though. 

You wouldn't believe what I can do with the third one lol lol ;) Thanks Simon,, other side would of been better ( the inside)

I got this one from Island 4x4, ive checked all their part numbers and they are the same ??????  the number I have on the bag it came in match.... As things are with everything shut down I cant do a great deal, just keep asking questions and hope some has had the same prob and sorted it..

Do I spy one of them thar yanky style guns with the barrels on sideways lol just joking im a side x side man myself, with a sprinking of front stuffer

Hi Tom,

I thought the same thing when I opened my new windscreen rubber up, but after a bit of examination from the old one it was correct.

The Glass goes in one of the slots, the other 'slot' is part of the filler piece that takes the gap up in the windscreen surround contour.

I have drawn a simple sketch in paint to hopefully explain myself!

1650406659_windscreenseal.png.e3848acc2b4d254f8d0d9fcaa6288dcd.png

Hope this helps, I think you have the right seal!!

Steve

• Like 1

If using the rope method, the dash can be left in place but it's mega tight and awkward as you need to pull square to the glass. Dont think it's that much faff just to remove the top? And not a total dash removal in that sense

Dash did not need to be removed. Just the vertical side trims on the A pillars. 

The problem areas are the corners. The section across the top of the dash was no problem at all.

It did help to have an extra pair of hands to help position square though. Not too much pressure from the outside as it makes pulling the seal through more tricky.

As always, second time round will be easier!

Good luck.

Simon...

Tom, not sure para cord is thick enough? I used the rope type washing line. It needs to pull the lip in and over the frame edge so you dont want something too slim......

That said if you have used para cord in the past to good effect then ignore the above lol

Andy

1 hour ago, Remington Rolling Block said:

Me again.

Couple of daft question if I may Steve, 1 which is inside     2 did you take out the dash top or can it be left in place.

Cheers Tom

If you find the two groves or patterning then that is facing outwards. 

I wanted the best conditions for fitting my screen and to make it easy. I didn't want to say half way through the process 'oh I wished I had removed that' so I removed the dash top, side trims and head lining. 

I had someone holding the screen with ducker handles and got it seated in the bottom edge and central. Then pulled on paracord (soaked in hot soapy water along with the seal) up each side. I then pulled on teh first top corner which was fine and then had to really tug on the last corner and then did the top edge. I was quite chuffed when I had done it, almost shocked! 

Steve