Simon_CSK

P38 heater matrix

I had the usual wet carpet on the drivers side on my P38 so obviously I though the O rings were gone. Stripped the car down and got the pipe disconnected very easily to find that the o rings appear to be fine. 

Great I though put it back together with new rings and all will be good. 

Here's my dilemma. Do I assume that the o rings were leaking as the screw holding them in came out very easily and may not have been tight enough to hold the pipe in give than the car was not in use for 3 years or do I assume that the heater matrix is knackered and set about replacing that to be sure.

I don't really want to have to do the job twice and am not sure at all if the screw holding the o rings in was tight enough because of how easily it came out. I never has a problem with the heater in the two years that I used it regularly. But was put off the road because I cooked the engine. So may have been leaking and I didn't notice. Again I cooked the engine because I hadn't topped up the cooling system.

Can you pressurise the system before putting it all back together ?

Detestable way of sealing a pressurised water connection ...

cheers

Steve  b

Good idea Steve. Basically fit the new o rings connect it up and blow air into it while one pipe is blocked off.

Works for me will try that tomorrow

Another common leak that gets into the footwell are the pollen filter housings in the scuttle panel below the windscreen, have you checked on those?

9 hours ago, Blanco said:

Another common leak that gets into the footwell are the pollen filter housings in the scuttle panel below the windscreen, have you checked on those?

Hi Blanco , what do you check for in these areas ? Are there any drain holes in the pollen filter housings that may be blocked as I am also are suffering from wet footwells , regards Paul .

See here for a bit of explanation,pollen filter thread Landyzone the other obvious check are the drain tubes for the AC, which is much easier if you learn how the trim sides to the tunnel come away, a very useful skill to have I am learning!

28 minutes ago, Blanco said:

See here for a bit of explanation,pollen filter thread Landyzone the other obvious check are the drain tubes for the AC, which is much easier if you learn how the trim sides to the tunnel come away, a very useful skill to have I am learning!

Thanks for that , sorry if I hijacked the thread but was having to wear wellies when I went to drive the car after it had been raining .

The heater matrix is goosed.

I rigged up a bicycle pump and filled it with water and pressurised it a little and it wouldn't hold pressure very long. So out comes the dashboard.

Too bad, usually it's the O-rings. Something I need to tackle as well...

There is a way of getting the matrix out with the dash in place. You need to cut a support I believe, several topics on RangeRovers.net giving the details.

Filip

Filip

I have seen a video on Utube about removing the matrix without removing the dash however we are in lockdown and I have plenty of time to play with it so will take my time and strip the dash out.

I also need to replace the blower fans and all the wood trim I am replacing with Piano black that I recently aquired so should get easier access,. 

I think the blowers are even worse to access than the heater matrix! I have a removed dash from a parts car, and even then the blowers seem well buried. Best of luck, as you say, now is the time for those fiddly jobs. 😉 I plan to reassemble the R380 for my project P38 next week.

Filip 

2 hours ago, Escape said:

I think the blowers are even worse to access than the heater matrix! I have a removed dash from a parts car, and even then the blowers seem well buried. Best of luck, as you say, now is the time for those fiddly jobs. 😉 I plan to reassemble the R380 for my project P38 next week.

Filip 

I think I am going to need it 🙄

The good news is that the blower motors are fine. I just needed to change the HEVAC controller so I will now explore the dash in place option for replacement of the matrix