defender rear cross member

8 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Doesn't build them anymore.

My view has changed a bit since but when I made an enquiry a few years ago the response I got was rather curt and rude. I understand he had a few health issues at the time and consequently got screwed over with his business but he could have simply stated that rather than the response I got. He's still very active on mig-welding but not doing any Land Rover cross members any more because he got fed up of them.

Indeed he has packed up making cross members.
I found him very pleasant and accommodating. You are right though, he had health problems alright. I think the attitude may not have been the cross members themselves, but the people that wanted them. As a one man small business you're either on the phone or your working on product - you can't do both. So many folk mess you about, complain when you don't answer the phone, complain when you're late and can't understand when you don't keep custom made items in stock. I can understand him getting fed up, but it's a shame you got the sharp end of his tongue. His product was excellent. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, reb78 said:

For some weird reason, I can weld better with Arc than I can with MIG. My MIG is a decent Butters machine, whereas my ARC is the cheapest buzzbox freebie you will ever come across - someone brought it round for me to try and never took it away again (they didnt want it back).

First time I have found anyone that agrees with me on this. Have a quality mig and a cheap arc and I will always try and ARC weld it if I can assuming it's thick enough