A little advice prior to 109" Station Wagon restoration required!

jerboa

Good afternoon/evening Everybody,

Long-time user/lurker and occasional poster here. Based in North Nottinghamshire.

1981 Series Three 109" Station Wagon. 200TDi converted, from petrol.

I have some questions about my strategy regarding the restoration I'm shortly going to embark on with above mentioned vehicle. It's been 10+ years or so that I've owned my station wagon, I've used it a fair bit but its been laid up for several years now. In the time I've owned it, it's value has increased markedly (we all know this about our vehicles I guess). The vehicle has non-original paint, and a 200TDI engine - I have a low-mileage 2.5petrol engine I might put back in. I have long wished to return it to its original paint colour, and would like to do this as part of a ground-up restoration. It is worth investing some money in to it.

I am relatively mechanically capable. Rebuilt engines, axles etc. And so dismantling and rebuilding I'm not worried about. But heck, reconditioning bodywork is not my thing - neither is it a skill I'm that enthused about learning for various reasons such as space+time.

Question is this: if I was to dismantle the vehicle, do you think there would be any restorers that I could ship all elements of the body to, to include, rear tub, floors, side-frames, bulkhead, wings, roof and bonnet to, for them to restore and paint up? It would involve them preparing and painting up each component individually in order for me to then rebuild everything on to a newly rebuilt chassis complete with running gear etc. I have a complete set of newly galvanized cappings etc for it.

Does anyone know of anyone/company who would engage on such terms?

Thanks in advance,

Jerboa

51 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd have thought your local paint shop would be able to do that - panels is panels after all... whether they'd be willing to is another question as I know sometimes it's far better to spray stuff on the vehicle all in one piece.

Yeah that's my point/question. Think they'd have to be open minded.

Perhaps an option would be to get the new chassis to rolling chassis point and get it to them so they could piut it together on to that. Its the cost of doing so that I'm more or less trying to avoid. Plus I would quite enjoy that phase of the build...