S1 rear tub work

Team Idris

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

That’s an interesting set up - do you have spreader plates under the floor ?  Looking back through the photos of the other side of the bulkhead,  it looks to be just bolts ?

Rather than put a spreader underneath that ought to be tied into the chassis, I went with this logic: 25mm by 2mm box with the nuts up the inside so it hasn’t got any welds to stress it. Six 20x20 short bits as spacers under the channel of the seat brackets. Six M8 bolts for the six galvo seat brackets that are made of 1mm steel. There are six bolts through the bulkhead which is pretty thin. Then twelve bolts at the bottom of the six brackets, six of which go through the tub and the seat box. 
The front tub mounts have those angle section 3mm aluminium to brace them and they are bolted through the tub in two more places. So a fair amount of strength by spreading the load around and sharing. I was going to tie those in, but it looks excessive. You would have to have a spreader plate with 12 bolts under the tub to equal it. 
Shoulder straps are a bit more tricky. Might have to go over a shoulder height bar and down. (Using the race trucks full harness rather that recoil 3-point) (they work a lot better) :) (and one is a plane latch so it looks spot on in there)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blanco said:

Looks good, ... have you done your own hinges for that, or did you have some of the bits? My RRC should have one, but doesn't at the moment.

They are ally and nylon truck ones I bought years ago for the van. 6mm holes. Nice hinge :)

6 hours ago, missingsid said:

Neat, so this is going on the tailgate then? How are you going to wire it?

Yep, on the tailgate. Wire goes Behind the the tailgate loop latch, down the galvanised hinge, cable tie at the bottom and under the body. You could drill holes and poke it down the hollow sections? A bit free and loose seems to work better.

S2 and S3 standard plates fit better because wider. S1 never seems to fit right? I guess that is why so many were painted on. I can put my military plate there and make a new one for the front.