Battery question!

samwilk200

Basically whats best for a general purpose battery. By this I mean running truck, including several worklights, and light/medium duty winching :huh:

If I have 1battery 850CCA 145AH OR 2 batteries of 600CCA 66AH. Which would be best, one big or two smaller, and why?!

Also what CCA and AH batteries do you run in your vehicle!?

Thanks

From your two choices I would take the big one because its CCA and Ah is better than the two little ones put together.

You can get high CCA from a smallish battery these days but basically size = capacity. A bluddy great big heavy one is usually a good sign :)

I have a Genuine Parts Td5 Discovery battery in my 90, 800CCA and 110AH which is good for everything and not too expensive.

Ampere-hours (A·h) is the product of the time that a battery can deliver a certain amount of current (in hours) times that current (in amps). Generally that current is baselined at 1 A. This is one indication of the amount of total energy a battery is able to store and deliver at its rated voltage.

Cranking amps (CA), also sometimes referred to as marine cranking amps (MCA), is the amount of current a battery can provide at 32 °F (0 °C). The rating is defined as the number of amperes a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery).

Cold cranking amps (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (−18 °C). The rating is defined as the amperage a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is more a demanding test than those at higher temperatures.

Hot cranking amps (HCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 80 °F (26.7 °C). The rating is defined as the amperage a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery).

Reserve capacity minutes (RCM), also referred to as reserve capacity (RC), is a battery's ability to sustain a minimum stated electrical load; it is defined as the time (in minutes) that a lead-acid battery at 80 °F (27 °C) will continuously deliver 25 amperes before its voltage drops below 10.5 volts

Go for the biggest battery you can find or the the two biggest batteries you can fit in the battery box. 600CCA is pants, try your local farmers supplier like MVT. They do some nice 760CCA jobbies that will fit side by side in a battery box