Bench seat

Badger110

I’ve looked on the gov website but can’t find anything with reference to swapping out the front seats for a bench seat.

I want to fit a fold down bench seat in place of the front seats to be part of the rear bed area. I have a donor seat to play with from a Bongo. This back rest section folds flat both forward and backwards by unlocking it and folding it down which is what I want. 

On top of that, I’d like to be able to hinge the entire seat backwards so I can access the battery and fuse/relay box

I’ll need to fabricate a hinge and locking mechanism for the seat base, are there specific rules for mounting points for front seats? Or does anyone know of a specific bench style seat that already has this entire set up built in?

If it’s a logistical nightmare the I’ll just move the battery and fuse/relay and go with my original idea of extra fuel tanks under the seats, but I like the challenge of the seat idea at the moment.

I don't see why this would be a problem. Series seats are essentially a bench seat made up of 3 individual seats for the purposes of access to fuel tanks/battery box

What benefit is there of folding it flat? as you can't drive it like that to be able to get longer items in if the whole back folds as one

Good point.

As it is technically a 3 seater bench seat, the current middle lap belt is fully mounted to the seat frame and can't be independant.

Well it could, but that's more work as well.

We did a dry run with it today, positioning it and working out where it gets us for being part of the bed which is the entire point of it.

It is a little shorter in width than the standard 2 seats postion and it means the passenger is sat slightly to the right ( probably 100mm ) of the normal position.

I also have to consider the weight element.

As the seat is designed to carry it's passengers and keep them strapped to itself in case of an accident, it's quite a hefty piece of equipment. The tubing is about 40mm and it must weigh 60kgs or thereabouts and that's before i've added more metal to fabricate the frame to use the exisiting seat bolts holes in the seat box.

When you consider a defender seat weighs bugger all, i'm very aware of the extra weight in the overall build of the camper conversion.

I'll spend a few days mulling it over and reading up on the IVA manual and see what i come  up with

Requiered Standard for Seat Strength is as follows

1.Every seat must be securely attached to the vehicle structure, or other obvious suitable load bearing parts of the vehicle (see Notes 1, 2and 3).

2.Every seat mounting must be of adequate strength to support the loads likely to be imposed (see Notes 1, 2and 3).

3.Each seat, seat back adjustment and seat displacement system must incorporate an automatic locking system which operates in all positions provided for normal use.

4.A seat fitted with a displacement device to facilitate access by passengers must be fitted with an unlocking control which is accessible from outside the vehicle when the door is open. Where the seat immediately behind the seat concerned is designated for an adult, the unlocking control must also be easily accessible from this position.

5.The rear parts of the seats must not have rough or sharp edges likely to increase the risk of injury to the occupants. See Note 6

6.A system of head restraint must be fitted on every outboard front seat.

7.For outboard front seats the height of the top of the head restraint above the R point must be at least 700mm,(see Annex 1)taking into account Note 4.

There is more, but it relates to headrests.

A little bit more information;

Assess the strength of each anchorage and of the surrounding vehicle structure.

Materials and construction methods should be taken into account.

For seats to which seat belts are directly mounted (integral seat belts) or where part of the seat forms the “effective anchorage” the extra loading imposed on the seat as an anchorage and the extra loading imposed on the seat mountings should be taken into account when assessing item 15 Seat Strength.

Where spreader plates are fitted to seat or seat belt mountings they must be of adequate size and radiused to a minimum of 2.5mm, the radius must be presented towards the floor of the vehicle to avoid tearing the floor in the event of a frontal impact.

Seat belt anchorage points must comply with the strength and location requirements of Directive 76/115 EEC, or to an equivalent safety standard On seats to which seat belts are directly mounted (integral seat belts) consideration must be given to the seat mounting as a belt anchorage point

Materials and construction methods must be taken into account.

Comparable methods to that of aknown approved vehicletype may be acceptable.

Evidence that the vehicle is of identical structure to a vehicle which has been demonstrated to comply with the requirements may be taken to confirm compliance.

Vehicles (particularly high capacity vehicleswith more than 2 rows of seats) may be fitted with seats that were not produced by the vehicle manufacturer but were produced by or for the vehicle converter, and are of the type used in larger capacity minibuses or buses. (For examplepedestal seats or seats having a frame of tubular design onto which the seat belts are mounted).

Particular care should be taken to verify that these seats meet the requirements for an M1 category vehicle. Where a vehicle is presented with this type of seat, the presenter will be required to provide evidence that the seats of this type fitted to the vehicle

Seat Belt Anchorages 19Revision: 9 Date: 01/07/20183of 18Method of InspectionRequired Standardmeet the requirements for an M1 category vehicle. This should be in the form of a declaration from the vehicle converter or seat manufacturer making reference to the vehicle concerned, confirming that the seats fitted (other than the original vehicle manufacturer’s seats) meet the strength and positional requirements of Directive 76/115/EEC for a category M1 vehicle, and supported by documentary evidence of the seat test results. Where the evidence provided relates to the seat only, consideration must be given to the seat mounting as a belt anchorage point

I read this;

For seats to which seat belts are directly mounted (integral seat belts) or where part of the seat forms the “effective anchorage” the extra loading imposed on the seat as an anchorage and the extra loading imposed on the seat mountings should be taken into account when assessing item 15 Seat Strength.

to mean that the middle seat seat belt anchorage is ok as long as the entire structure of the seat is secured and able to withstand the forward motion of a human and the weight of the seat. 

I'd need to bulk up the anchorage points for the entire seat assembly or look for suitable independant seat belt points on the chassis/bodywork.

There is steel angle under the Ali box to reinforce it. But I've relied on the shape of the Ali/galv sheet (3mm thick ali, 2mm galv) to form the box. I was more concerned with the seatbelt mounts which is box section bolted to the spaceframe/winch tray.

IMAG0499.jpg.d4401d40f78f3cbfc9b6f53fee65ff72.jpg

This picture doesn't show much more but may help.

Mike

• Like 1