Thor Throttle Cable

Landumph

Morning, I have a 1993 factory V8 90 and I am about to use one of Nigel’s Megasquirt kits to fit a Thor manifold to the old 3.5 V8 engine

I'm in the process of gathering as many parts as possible before I start. Now the question I would like to ask is the throttle cable end on a Thor is different than my current engine, I’m hoping that there is another Defender or Land Rover throttle cable that would be a straight swop

I wonder if a Defender 50th has the correct end, I want an end like the picture below

Thanks

image.jpeg.ea787d2801a7d2ce3c3443f71d28c93f.jpeg

Subscribing for interest. I have the same setup on my Thor v8 and haven't found an off the shelf cable yet. 

The Thor end should have a nipple as you have pictured, but most of the accelerator cables have a clevis fork on the end. 

At the throttle end I have a standard v8 throttle cable (SBB104100P), which has a clevis fork on the end. Between the throttle body and the clevis fork there's about a 3" intermediate cable with a round nipple as above at the throttle end, and a flat 'spade' with a hole in it crimped on that fits in the clevis fork/pin which links the two incompatible bits up..

Escape, the problem is at the throttle end where the end of the cable terminates in a barrel nipple.

Talking today to a chap who restores pre war motorcycles I asked him how does he source the correct control cables, ‘simplek he says ‘I make ‘em!’ 
So onto his recommendation to a company called Venhill

They supply kits for making cables https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-components/car-cable-kits/universal-car-throttle-cable-kit-ven-ukccblack.html

Or parts to modify existing cable like this https://www.venhill.co.uk/barrel-nipple-38in-od-x-12in-bn1013l.html

I'm not sure if the existing cable is long enough to fit a barrel end on and relocate to the new throttle body (on the SU’s fitted to the 3.5 the throttle linkage is at the rear of the inlet manifold, on the Thor manifold the cable attaches to the front of the inlet manifold)

We shall see, but hopefully that problem should be easier to solve now

Useful links, thanks!

I'll face a similar problem if I ever get the 5.0 V8 installed in my Range Rover. I'm also using a Bosch top end, and with the donor vehicle being RHD the throttle cable probably wont be long enough for a LHD.

Filip

I use a P38 throttle cable on mine, don't remember having any issues fitting it to the Defender throttle pedal... I have a spare cable in my spares kit, I expect it will have the part number on it.

Mine's used for an LSx engine in a Defender which uses a similar throttle to the Thor.

If it helps, you can see the throttle towards the end of this clip...

Edited by Dave W

Jealous of the LS there! 

I had a quick look at the P38 cable and from the pics it looked like the throttle pedal end was different, but I didn't do much more than look at pics on Rimmer's website..

FWIW - the part number I posted above (SBB104100P) is I think from the 50th anniversary and is considerably longer (several feet) than the standard 3.5 cable (bit the wrong throttle end fitting)..

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Dave, appreciate that, and for everyone else’s taking the time to reply . While I was looking at P38 cables I came across NRC 8116 which is a throttle cable for a 2.25 petrol, it has the correct ends and is 49 pence on the Bearmach website..........I’ve ordered 2!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 2:45 PM, Landumph said:

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Dave, appreciate that, and for everyone else’s taking the time to reply . While I was looking at P38 cables I came across NRC 8116 which is a throttle cable for a 2.25 petrol, it has the correct ends and is 49 pence on the Bearmach website..........I’ve ordered 2!

How did you get on with this throttle cable on your Thor engine?

Well the cable should fit fine, I’ve only done a quick mock up with it as I’ve decided to change the cam. Radiator was pretty well worn and I decided to get it re-cored which is taking  forever. When I get it back I will bed the cam in with the carb manifold on, then proceed with MS. Bit a of long explanation for I think the throttle cable should fit fine, and only 49p!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, Landumph said:

Well the cable should fit fine, I’ve only done a quick mock up with it as I’ve decided to change the cam. Radiator was pretty well worn and I decided to get it re-cored which is taking  forever. When I get it back I will bed the cam in with the carb manifold on, then proceed with MS. Bit a of long explanation for I think the throttle cable should fit fine, and only 49p!

The Thor has the cable mounting bracket fitted quite a way back from the throttle itself so did you have enough inner wire length to feed around the cable attachment point on the throttle housing and still leave enough to go through the bulkhead to the pedal?

When I test fitted the cable I realise now that I didn’t consider the mounting, just that the ends fitted and the throttle body was not on the car, yesterday I went to fit it and found out there is is not enough inner wire from the mounting bracket to the throttle body. Not very pleased with myself......

The search for a suitable cable continues........might go to speedy cables 

1 hour ago, Landumph said:

When I test fitted the cable I realise now that I didn’t consider the mounting, just that the ends fitted and the throttle body was not on the car, yesterday I went to fit it and found out there is is not enough inner wire from the mounting bracket to the throttle body. Not very pleased with myself......

Yep, me too cheers 👍

On 7/6/2020 at 9:18 AM, Landumph said:

One option might be to send the one you bought with the right ends to speedy cables and just ask them to fit a new longer inner wire to it.

Assuming of course that the outer is long enough to reach from the plenum to the bulkhead?

Why not change/modify the bracket on the engine for one that isn't so far away ?

I can't visualise the Thor arrangement as I no longer have one but I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to extend it so it's closer to the throttle ?

I'd rather use a custom bracket and a standard cable than the other way around... break a standard cable and you can get one anywhere in the world with a phone call.

Edited by Dave W

On 7/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, Dave W said:

Why not change/modify the bracket on the engine for one that isn't so far away ?

I can't visualise the Thor arrangement as I no longer have one but I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to extend it so it's closer to the throttle ?

I'd rather use a custom bracket and a standard cable than the other way around... break a standard cable and you can get one anywhere in the world with a phone call.

It could probably be done I suppose but there’s limited room to re-drill fixing points into the plenum.

EEAB2CAE-2A2A-4280-9FDE-27FAFFB82FBE.jpeg.6cb956e8260f4d799568dec2485c09af.jpeg

My mitigation is to have two kick down and two throttle cables made up so I’ll always have a spare.

1 hour ago, Bigj66 said:

It could probably be done I suppose but there’s limited room to re-drill fixing points into the plenum.

EEAB2CAE-2A2A-4280-9FDE-27FAFFB82FBE.jpeg.6cb956e8260f4d799568dec2485c09af.jpeg

My mitigation is to have two kick down and two throttle cables made up so I’ll always have a spare.

That is a fair distance away !

You could mount a bracket using the throttle body bolts if you wanted to go down that route, replace the bolts with longer versions so the two nearest the throttle are long enough to be exposed at the back (look to be threaded all the way through), then use nuts on the exposed thread to attach a simple bracket.

Ordering 2 custom cables is probably quicker and easier though :)