Metal bashing stump

Stellaghost

Nice easy project to assist with metal forming just need a redundant oxy cylinder20200411_234411.thumb.jpg.c8a8853d99fc97092276b9b252f1ea12.jpg

cut at personal height20200411_235121.thumb.jpg.66eea2d78856e896beb45731fd07a3e5.jpg

Start cleaning up concave end20200412_191425.thumb.jpg.e560ba5497b66db3670986ecc7e0fec4.jpg

Rough grind stamped numbers / letters out so they dont leave additional marks in workpiece regards Stephen 20200412_192712.thumb.jpg.5b663f0e46ec5311fbeecb509a0d1418.jpg

These are great for stretching and forming..... don't throw away your top either! 

Here's a few improvements.... if you have a bit of OCD these will not look nice and even lol you want to build up the outside edge in two pionts (two other areas is about the max number you can fit without interfering with your work when using each area) 

One area you want to build up with scrap and weld so it still has the same radius as the side of the cylinder but the transistion from the base to the side transitions from a curve to a sharp... now an improvement over my last one would be to do the edge with some harder stuff (grader blade edge etc) I did mine with weld and I had to keep building it back up and grinding the edge back in.... you use this sharp piece for tipping 

The last area you want about 2/5ths the way around from the sharp edge this still lets you use the un-modified edge for forming.... and this one you want to make it into a short stubby sort of anvil point 

With the top you want to fill in the neck in and shape it as a round 

On mine I had a heavy wall SHS piece as a reciver cut into the outside top edge so I could drop in different tools like the top piece, a grader ball and a rounded tow ball as well as different blade thickness's 

There are times I really miss it (gave it to an old guy who taught me alot about pannel beating when I moved workshops yrs ago) I've always ment to build another but never managed to get a dead cylinder lol

3 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

If you were closer I could have given you a cylinder but your just a tad too far away lol regards Stephen 

LOL yea and I think just at the moment freight might be a tad difficult and take a wee while 

4 minutes ago, ballcock said:

what is the attachment made from? 

The attachments are made from part of the gas cylinder where it slopes in towards the valve just cut and welded onto some box section that slides into the holder and then clamped the round former is a piece of 2  1/2 inch heavy walled pipe going to make a ball and tipping attachment at some point and just add onto in the future picture below is it painted regards Stephen 

20200413_191411.jpg

your onto it 

I'm a little more aggressive (I shape thick sheet steel and light plate) I "frenched" the SHS reciever into the side of the cylinder so most of the force went down with no levering load, the tow handle was on a reciever too and I changed my wheels to smaller ones that were alot closer so I was able to get in close and brace my knees or thighs against it as I worked (I worked all around it as I formed) ..... I ended up putting a 1/2" steel plate on the bottom because I used to belt on it hard enough I chipped rings into the concrete floor lol 

There is a video on Youtube of a guy that uses one, if you interested in ideas for fixed dollies..... I just had the top of the tank that I modified to a large round end, Grader blade pivot ball and a tow ball (both I welded up to make round) and some tipping blades.... the little anvil piece with its little flat section was my go-to 

I formed up 90% of a Ford Jail bar grill on one of them 

I have the aggressive gear as well ie hydraulic press, selection of hammers up to 14lb also not forgetting oxy acetylene and propane torch and plans to make a forge at some point in the future all good for the heavier side of life my stump is for light entertainment at the moment I'm just a bit of a tool junky like to have things just in case lol will be making some ball formers as we have media balls at work ranging from 20mm up to 90mm for the anvil piece to pinch that idea from you I was planning on using some rail track as we have offcuts of that at work also regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Gasp ! I don't know what BOC or whoever would make of this illegal destruction of their cylinder !  AND grinding off the chassis serial number too 😲

Brother in law has oxygen cylinder driveway bollards 

2 hours ago, smallfry said:

Gasp ! I don't know what BOC or whoever would make of this illegal destruction of their cylinder !  AND grinding off the chassis serial number too 😲

Brother in law has oxygen cylinder driveway bollards 

Guess he's a serial cylinder killer regards Stephen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to have one !!!

It is a  very nice size anvil

Eventually this whole virus #@$%% will end and travel starts again.

And that travel will bring me in Penicuik - so that is almost your place....

Timing ?

Like this would be perfect !

afbeelding.png.c632919edb084287f2918b0ec6332a90.png

As soon as we can travel, I'm planing a UK Raid.

Need to collect a Ninety roof, ArgoCat motor to mention a few thing and Penicuik will be included..