Where is a good place?

Wytze

So ,  made a adapter plate for the p38        steering box.   Tacked  it on and mounted the box.  Mounted it straight above the axle, but on a P38 it's in front of the axle.   In my mind it's in a good place right now..   But, is it?   20200414_165657.thumb.jpg.39edc93a8f422d189bcedd174ec9c80f.jpg

The axles are spring over.  The bumpstop was at 100mm  in the original situation.  about 4 inches.  If i lower the bumpstop to give the axle more travel, i can still go to 130mm without hitting anything.   All i can see is that the front crossmember is sitting to low.

Yep,  spot on!  I'm there to.  On Defender axles.  And made a test set of rods.  On both front pitman arms. And did some tests.  On 35's i can push it forward and backward on full lock.    Just need to make a high steer bracket on the right swivel20200415_151008.thumb.jpg.86a1c9462725e788d2a8ab8893722f70.jpg20200415_151013.thumb.jpg.6b7a0b5a5b1160baff2db9e243daf2c5.jpg

That looks quite far aft.  Mine is in a position similar to Jon’s, with the nose of the box housing just behind the rad panel.  That worked out just right to use the P38 lower column with only an adjustment on its slip joint, no need for actual modification of the shaft.

As long as the axle can’t hit the sector shaft end and the drag link clears the diff housing and suspension at all articulated positions, then I don’t think it’ll matter too much what the exact position is.  You might end up with more or less bump steer or variations in the steering ratio from left to right with different locations, but these are not sports cars with precision steering, so any effect will be small and relatively unimportant, I think.