New Alternator query

neilc

I've purchased a new Alternator for my 2.25 petrol series 3 ( correct part ) , the bladed part seems to drag on the body as it spins ( by hand , I haven't installed yet ) is this correct ?, does the G force of opeation push it away from the body ? Any advice would be appreciated , thanks 

My mate had that to..  He pulled it apart, because he needed it to drive again.   The bearing in the front cover should be blocked by some small screw's .  In his, there was nothing to keep the bearing locked.  Could be the same problem? 

Not sure,  could be that a collar is in the wrong place..    but just to be safe.  Stack the shaft with washers untill the nut still can go on.  And turn it tight.  To make sure that the shaft is fully seated.  

I've sorted it , I was just attempting to put a spacer washer on it when I realised the spacer washer would need to have a notch cut out of it to get it over the little marker . Whilst using my dremmel to cut of the notch I had a thought . I put the fan part on a flat surface and realised that the middle was raised ( to be fair , I think it should be ) so I tapped the centre with a spanner and it levelled off. Now when I put the fan part back on it clears the body by approx 2mm , probably not the ideal solution but it worked , thanks for the advice .

Just for the future,
That 'little marker' in the shaft is a Woodruff Key, they come in different shapes and sizes.
The 'slot' in the fan and the pulley is a 'keyway'. Some times it's for clearance, as in the fan; sometimes it's for location, to stop the pulley slipping around the shaft when power is being transmitted via the drive belt.

Glad you have found a solution.

Regards.

Has anyone got a diagram of where the bolts go on the Alternator please , its been so long since I've taken it out that I've forgotten , I know the ling bolt fixies the bracket to the block and the one on the Alternator fixes to that .The problem I'm having is that I then still have another long bolt that's about 3 inches and another 2 that are about half the size . Does the long bolt go straight through the alternator and the bracket or is this fixed with the two smaller bolts ? , I seem to have too many bolts , a diagram would be very much appreciated , I can't find one , thanks