power steering conversion

Maz66

hi lads

need some info on power steering conversion my series 3 has a 200 tdi  i have the power steering pump. a p38 relay box .have been told i need a defender steering column  have also head that discover1 steering set up  will work i have a full D1 steering set up aswell  i found a thread by smokey joe were he mentions  but cant find it now typical any help appreciated

I documented a P38 steering system I fitted to my 109 a bit over five years ago in my blog.  It works brilliantly, using the P38 box, pump and lower column, and a Defender upper column and steering wheel.  Feather light, but the same ratio as the original steering box so the same handling and feel.

It’s all in the steering section of my blog - click my signature below to have a look.

Quick question re: the p38 steering box conversions. In using a defender steering column, does this mean there's no way the original steering wheel can be used? I rather like the Series wheel, and feel a defender one could look out of place in a series - although an early defender wheel would be OK I suppose...

Thanks,

If you use the correct era Defender column, the Series wheel will fit.  It needs to be from the Tdi ere, with the big spongy two spoke wheel. But the column is longer and the switchgear fits differently.  You can fit the original shroud and switches, but you’d need to be creative.  The SIII steering lock and ignition switch will fit directly onto the Defender column, but that sets the top end closer to the driver.  Whether you choose to modify the column to move the slot closer to the driving end to match the SIII distance, remove the steering lock parts to fit the assembly to a plain section of the column, or shorten the column outright is up to you.  I didn’t want to cut and weld bits of steering column, so I ended up fitting Defender switches and shroud, even though I’d have preferred to keep the simple SIII parts if it had been viable for me.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:16 AM, Snagger said:

If you use the correct era Defender column, the Series wheel will fit.  It needs to be from the Tdi ere, with the big spongy two spoke wheel. But the column is longer and the switchgear fits differently.  You can fit the original shroud and switches, but you’d need to be creative.  The SIII steering lock and ignition switch will fit directly onto the Defender column, but that sets the top end closer to the driver.  Whether you choose to modify the column to move the slot closer to the driving end to match the SIII distance, remove the steering lock parts to fit the assembly to a plain section of the column, or shorten the column outright is up to you.  I didn’t want to cut and weld bits of steering column, so I ended up fitting Defender switches and shroud, even though I’d have preferred to keep the simple SIII parts if it had been viable for me.

Thank you Snagger..! 👍