disco 1 rear axle, seal question

enen

I have an early disco with no seal inside the axle tube. Diff oil lubes the wheel bearings. The inner hub seal stops oil from leaking out of the hub

So far, so good!

What is the point of the outer hub seal(#15 in attached pic)? Oil should flow from the diff, axle tube then the hub

IMG_4161.JPG

In practice, it’s not important.  It should keep diff oil out of the wheel bearings, preventing their grease being contaminated (oil would run up the inside of the stub axle and inside the drive flange, but would then be blocked from the bearings.  The later axles move the seal to the inside of the stub axle to do the same task in a location easier to seal, but with the effect of running the drive flanges dry, leading to their splines wearing out faster.

Some greases degrade if contaminated with oil, so I presume that is why they separated them.

My earlier reply was a bit flippant - sorry about that. I am a bit confused now though. I have a 110 with disc brakes and recently did the mod to remove the stub axle oil seal, allowing oil through as far as the flange splines.

I changed the rear of hub seal from FTC4785 to RTC3511 (item 11 in the parts diagram above) which I assume prevents oil from leaking from the inside of the hub where it joins the stub axle.

There is no seal on the outside of the hub and so the oil must run through into the bearings and be retained by the flange gasket and rubber cap (screw cap in my case on HD flanges). That's the whole point of the modification after all.

So what @Snagger is saying is that oil and grease would combine. I understand that it would but thought that oil is what's required now in there. Are the bearings supposed to be greased still even though oil should be splashing about? Does that explain my confusion?  

Just now, Peaklander said:

My earlier reply was a bit flippant - sorry about that. I am a bit confused now though. I have a 110 with disc brakes and recently did the mod to remove the stub axle oil seal, allowing oil through as far as the flange splines.

I changed the rear of hub seal from FTC4785 to RTC3511 (item 11 in the parts diagram above) which I assume prevents oil from leaking from the inside of the hub where it joins the stub axle.

There is no seal on the outside of the hub and so the oil must run through into the bearings and be retained by the flange gasket and rubber cap (screw cap in my case on HD flanges). That's the whole point of the modification after all.

So what @Snagger is saying is that oil and grease would combine. I understand that it would but thought that oil is what's required now in there. Are the bearings supposed to be greased still even though oil should be splashing about? Does that explain my confusion?  

In the case of this type of axle, they would still originally have had greased bearings and not oil lubricated ones. The rear axle I've got is this type and i just ran with the outermost seal removed and only a slight smear of grease on new bearings to get things going. 

Yes @Nonimouse, I understand that it is an improvement but it's just the discussion about oil and grease mixing that's got me confused. I guess I'm now where the OP was at the start and where @landroversforever is now!

That is, running oil in the bearings but with a little grease that will only be there until it has mixed with the oil and no need for the item 15 seal but item 11 seal needs to be an oil seal and not the original.

8 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Yes @Nonimouse, I understand that it is an improvement but it's just the discussion about oil and grease mixing that's got me confused. I guess I'm now where the OP was at the start and where @landroversforever is now!

That is, running oil in the bearings but with a little grease that will only be there until it has mixed with the oil and no need for the item 15 seal but item 11 seal needs to be an oil seal and not the original.

I can't picture the oil level at the moment, but it might be enough that it doesn't need the grease to start with but either way I can't see it doing any harm. In the fairly minimal time the truck was on the road in my ownership I replaced the rear bearings once (running in oil) and the front ones 3 times (in grease, one time was down to contamination).

I have two issues with that.

How high up are you tilting the car to be able the fill the diff with enough oil to get the fluid high enough level?

The area on the stub axle that the outer seal rides on has a slight groove. Speedi seals are $65 each!

I would buy new stub axles but im in canada and getting killed on freight charges. I need a windscreen and was quoted $1200 for shipping alone!