I need to" head" some advice

Sabre

I have overhauled my 300 Tdi, and it now sits on my workbench in a semi completion state. I have not refitted the head

Should I fit the head, torque it up, and install the motor ? If so, that means that one of the head bolts will have to be left loose in order to fit the lifting bracket. Will it be OK to just torque that bolt up after installation ?

My original plan was to fit the motor sans head, to not only have a lighter load to handle, but also to have easier access to the top bell housing bolts. If I follow this road, will I be able to get the rear head bolts inserted into the head ? 

Advice please 

The lifting bracket bolts to the back of the head i think? Not the head bolt.  Even so, either method would be fine, a little trick for fitting the head in the car is to insert the rear 2 head bolts into the head before offering it up to the engine, if you lift them so that the end of the bolt is just above the deck of the head and then cable tie the 2 together to put a little side tension on them, they won't drop down and get in the way.  Once in the car it's no trouble getting a socket and extension on there.

2 hours ago, dave88sw said:

The lifting bracket bolts to the back of the head i think? Not the head bolt.  Even so, either method would be fine, a little trick for fitting the head in the car is to insert the rear 2 head bolts into the head before offering it up to the engine, if you lift them so that the end of the bolt is just above the deck of the head and then cable tie the 2 together to put a little side tension on them, they won't drop down and get in the way.  Once in the car it's no trouble getting a socket and extension on there.

Thanks Dave, good tip !

I think I will install the engine first, then the head. The rear lifting bracket is fitted to the one head bolt

On 4/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Nonimouse said:

when I do this, I tape a layer of brown paper over the clean face of the top of the block - just as a belt and braces safety measure....

I have made a bracket that sits on top of the block, and fastens with 4 head bolts. the underside of the bracket has rubber strips

I will look at covering the rest of the block to be safe, thanks for the heads-up

• Like 1