Ideas needed! Enlarging hole in chassis with limited access

L19MUD

If it's just galv / paint build up can you get a hole drilled through the centre of a short M8 bolt so that you can put say an M4 bolt through it and tighten it down through the hole.

To be honest I'd probably just turn a taper on an M8 bolt that was relatively short leaving a shoulder at the top, cut a couple of slits with an angry grinder down the end (ala DIY tap) and then shove a pry bar and piece of wood under there and lever it into the hole as hard as I could. If it doesn't pop through then turn with a spanner.

Alternatively shove a round file into a flanged nut and rotate that around, tedious but should work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Hi all. Some excellent advice, watch this space and I will have a go tomorrow with the ideas I have the kit for! 

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing

You might get in there with a right-angled, air die grinder ......... some of the offerings from snap-on and blue point are really small now ..............

10 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

To be honest I'd probably just turn a taper on an M8 bolt that was relatively short leaving a shoulder at the top, cut a couple of slits with an angry grinder down the end (ala DIY tap) and then shove a pry bar and piece of wood under there and lever it into the hole as hard as I could. If it doesn't pop through then turn with a spanner

This was exactly how I started trying to solve it but struggled to get downward pressure when turning it

Will report back! 

Well it's done! Basically the idea Steve b had but I didn't have a course roof screw. I found the perfect taper end m8 bolt which had a captive washer on to hold the ratchet spanner up and then two nuts to stop it threading past the end of the thread. It jammed in tight to start off and then picked up and threaded through. When it got to the nuts I tightened it to rip the thread out I had created. 

So simple in the end and I think the red mist from the other night was not helping matters 

Thanks all

DSC_1945.thumb.JPG.3e939f60bb7a89dba255673c244d3041.JPG

• Like 4

:)...great result - that bolt is a self threading type too - known as a tri-lobe . Nearly done now then . Is there a prize ? And is it a 2 1/4 petrol manifold ? .. cos that is what I need to finish building a 2 1/4 petrol ;)

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, steve b said:

:)...great result - that bolt is a self threading type too - known as a tri-lobe . Nearly done now then . Is there a prize ? And is it a 2 1/4 petrol manifold ? .. cos that is what I need to finish building a 2 1/4 petrol ;)

Steve

Sadly not Steve! 😁