Dreaded Electrics

2 minutes ago, western said:

the earth wires just go to existing earth points at each set of lights, they can be secured by one bolt/nut tothe respective body area of the vehicle, 

rear earths are on top of the left & right rear wheelarch covered by the rear corner covers, the front lights go to a attachment on the front left & right inner wing vertical panel behind the front lights.

Thanks Cant remember seeing any of these points, or can I just earth them to any good nut and bolt near where they go in. ??

Well got all 4 indicators working, off the test on plug for switch, should be a case of just plugging the switch in now. Front ones fitted in place , need to run wires for the rears from loom in pic it is on the right side  coming out of Chassis, I seem to be finding all the wires I need coming from it.  Couldn't get side lights to work for some reason though.

IMG_20200426_170857.jpg

Where have all the rubber cased connectors gone ? 

good you got the indicators to work. 

front side light wires are 

LH -- red/black

RH -- red/orange

both have plain black earth wires, each side has seperate fuses in the fusebox under dash.. 

21 minutes ago, western said:

Where have all the rubber cased connectors gone ? 

good you got the indicators to work. 

front side light wires are 

LH -- red/black

RH -- red/orange

both have plain black earth wires, each side has seperate fuses in the fusebox under dash.. 

It was like that when I got it Mate, I taped the end  all up to thread it back through Chassis, but all wires do seem to be there, touch wood. what do the rubber connectors look like ?

they are moulded on to the ends of the looms, like the one on dash loom, You will have to source a suitable plug/socket to join the chassis loom fornt end to the main loom in the engine bay adjacent to the brake & clutch pedal housings.

moulded connectots.jpg

34 minutes ago, western said:

they are moulded on to the ends of the looms, like the one on dash loom, You will have to source a suitable plug/socket to join the chassis loom fornt end to the main loom in the engine bay adjacent to the brake & clutch pedal housings.

moulded connectots.jpg

I have them in the Engine Bay already plugged together. My last  pic above is from Rear where it comes out near rear crossmember.

Would there have been one on here with another to plug in to ??

Edited by kevin50

Swapped the harness for dash Dials back over to the original one, Now got Battery and Fuel dials working, so happy about that, All indicators work with the test wire rigged in to the Hazard plug whilst waiting for switch.  But still none of the small bulbs light up in dials.  will have another bit tinker tomorrow, with side lights,

The Lone black wire is still there on this loom too, will try it  to  earths tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, western said:

Probably need the dash/interior light switch to be fitted then, & make sure the top of the switch is in. 

Dam forgot about that, Ive got the switch but still waiting for light and Hazard switch. 

• Like 1

Found a couple of good points to earth on the front for side lights  and Indicators, but still struggling to find something near at the back. I did Shultz the rear tub before fitting so cant see any nice shiny clean bolts yet.

20 hours ago, western said:

in each rear corner where the body of the lights & electrical connections are, a bolt/nut through the horizontal face of the wheel arch will be OK as earth point.

Ready to fit lights on tub now, its backed right up to wall so need to pull it forward to gat more room first,

Some good progress today, got the hazard switch  plugged in and all Indicators, and bulbs in dials work , there is a red / black coming from the switch and  couple of small wires coming out where switches are, in pic 1 black and orange / white. Apart from that there are Numerous spare plugs of different sizes and colurs down in the lower dash where all wires are in pic 2, not sure if I need these as most things seem to be working.

So far I have Working.

Indicators  

fuel gauge

heater blower motor

wipers when I finally fit another wheel

Lights on gauges

I know where wires are for for washer bottle motor and roof light.

Really need to know what the spare ones are for that are not plugged in to anything before I fit the Binnacle . 

IMG_20200428_162532.jpg

IMG_20200419_120845.jpg

The short red/black trace on the hazard switch plug hoes to one of the spade terminals on side of the switch, the other spade terminals should have  the earth plain black wire on, this will operate the hazard switch internal red warning light when switched on. 

The white/orange trace wire is a spare 12v feed for air condition fitted vehicles, tape it up as its not required. 

Sounds like your day has been very productive,. 

15 minutes ago, western said:

The short red/black trace on the hazard switch plug hoes to one of the spade terminals on side of the switch, the other spade terminals should have  the earth plain black wire on, this will operate the hazard switch internal red warning light when switched on. 

The white/orange trace wire is a spare 12v feed for air condition fitted vehicles, tape it up as its not required. 

Sounds like your day has been very productive,. 

Thanks Mate, Finding it hard and tedious but getting there with help from you great people.

Need a bulb for one of the dials, the small ones in pic , not sure what they are called or size, also which headlight bulbs do I need, there is a plug for one in drivers side so need to get one for other side.

IMG_20200428_222642.jpg

Edited by kevin50

Didn't have much time today, but tried side lights, left hand side works but can not get drivers side to work, orange / red  nothing front or back, all fuses ok so not sure .if wires damaged somewhere,  Not got a clue how to find it.

Does each light work if  you put the red/orange to positive on battery & plain black to earth/negative? 

Have you got good clean connections to each light? 

Did you have the main light switch on

Can you get power  at front & rear wires (coloured ones only) with one of these or similar tester 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/insulated-and-electrical-tools/halfords-advanced-circuit-tester-926782.html

1 hour ago, western said:

Does each light work if  you put the red/orange to positive on battery & plain black to earth/negative? 

Have you got good clean connections to each light? 

Did you have the main light switch on

Can you get power  at front & rear wires (coloured ones only) with one of these or similar tester 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/insulated-and-electrical-tools/halfords-advanced-circuit-tester-926782.html

Lights work off battery, 

Clean connections.

Yes tried with main switch on. but only passenger side works.

Can only get power on passenger side with test light 

Try a known new or working fuse in right side light in fuse box, & give the clips a clean with some fine emery cloth, could just be a poor fuse/dirty clips. the 2in orange hoop in photo 

other than examining the loom for broken wires or disconnected connections, without being with the vehicle its a bit difficult to see what's happening.

side & tail light fuses.jpg

10 minutes ago, western said:

Try a known new or working fuse in right side light in fuse box, & give the clips a clean with some fine emery cloth, could just be a poor fuse/dirty clips. the 2in orange hoop in photo 

other than examining the loom for broken wires or disconnected connections, without being with the vehicle its a bit difficult to see what's happening.

side & tail light fuses.jpg

Thanks Mate,  Think your right about fuses as when trying them a couple were only lighting on one side which I thought were gone untill I pressed them in harder  and they worked,  so will give them a good clean first.

es 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks Mate,  Think your right about fuses as when trying them a couple were only lighting on one side which I thought were gone untill I pressed them in harder  and they worked,  so will give them a good clean first.

es 

Cleaned and New Fuses, all lighting up. I Can get Power from the rear red / orange but Not Front.

Ah, well at least part of our fixed worked,

there could be a break in the front wire then, try a new wire from the connection where the chassis loom & dash/main loom join to the sidelight that will give you a idea if the red/orange to the front is suspect,