Dreaded Electrics

Think Ive found it Mate In pic the Bare red / orange was just hanging there,  it comes from the front wing where there is no power yet. not sure wether it goes in to the top of that plug as there seems no where it can go in But there is same wire going in and out, and when I touch it in the gap I get power back to front wing, so think I need to join them.

IMG_20200430_165233_LI (2).jpg

Edited by kevin50
  • Like 1

a broken wire, it will match the same colour wire on opposite side of that connection.  looks like someone has pulled to hard & pulled the wire from its pin, 

you could carefully cut that pin out & replace it with a crimp on male bullet connector, that should then fit in the socket on other side of the connection. or make a jumper lead to join in the other red/orange wire. 

looks like there is another cut wire on that connection too. just below the red/orange on right of the connection.

3 minutes ago, western said:

a broken wire, it will match the same colour wire on opposite side of that connection.  looks like someone has pulled to hard & pulled the wire from its pin, 

you could carefully cut that pin out & replace it with a crimp on male bullet connector, that should then fit in the socket on other side of the connection. or make a jumper lead to join in the other red/orange wire. 

looks like there is another cut wire on that connection too. just below the red/orange on right of the connection.

Cant see any socket that it would push in to unless I am looking in wrong place. Hopeless at joining wires how do I make jumper lead ? yes other wire is knicked will tape it up.

Edited by kevin50

the matching wire is on right of the yellow line, the pulled red/orange was in the rubber casing [yellow arrow] 

can you add a photo of the left rubber part so it shows the wires entering , that will confirm where the pulled wire has come from,  glad the other nicked wire can be saved.

if your not sure or don't have the items/crimp tool to make a jumper lead I'd suggest getting mate or a auto electricain to do it. 

I have a old dash/main loom from my 110 in the garage I will have a look & see if the red/orange wires are still in it, I may be able  to send it up.

686240571_IMG_20200430_165233_LI(2).thumb.jpg.5d8889d503312351c26b92a1cf5d2036.jpg

9 minutes ago, western said:

the matching wire is on right of the yellow line, the pulled red/orange was in the rubber casing [yellow arrow] 

can you add a photo of the left rubber part so it shows the wires entering , that will confirm where the pulled wire has come from,  glad the other nicked wire can be saved.

if your not sure or don't have the items/crimp tool to make a jumper lead I'd suggest getting mate or a auto electricain to do it. 

I have a old dash/main loom from my 110 in the garage I will have a look & see if the red/orange wires are still in it, I may be able  to send it up.

686240571_IMG_20200430_165233_LI(2).thumb.jpg.5d8889d503312351c26b92a1cf5d2036.jpg

Will get pic tomorrow Mate,  That wire right where  your arrow is,  Is Another red / orange going in , that's why I couldn't see anymore for the cut one to enter .The cut one leads to front wing, Cant understand where it actually has been cut.

Edited by kevin50
  • Like 1

Yes that's right, the one which is still in the rubber connector will go to the rear tail light & the pulled out wire will be for the front side light, so you can just rejoin the pulled out wire to its mate that is still in the rubber connector,

a couple of options here

1.a soldered joint & insulated would do the job, to do that you would have to remove some of the covering & then twist the pulled out wire around it & add some solder then insulate, 

2. about 50mm from the rubber connector cut the other red/orange wire which is still in the rubber connector, then remove some insulation about 10 to 20mm on each & join the 2 ends by twisting them together then insert into a male bullet connector & crimp it, on the tail which is still in the rubber connector, strip about the same amount of insulation off & crimp a female bullet connector then join these bullet connectors together, that should then restore the right front side light & right rear tail light to proper operation. 

male & female bullet connectors. if you haven't got any I can send a couple up with a bit of red/orange wire. 

Aussel Male & Female Insulated Wire Bullet Crimp Connector ...

11 minutes ago, western said:

Yes that's right, the one which is still in the rubber connector will go to the rear tail light & the pulled out wire will be for the front side light, so you can just rejoin the pulled out wire to its mate that is still in the rubber connector,

a couple of options here

1.a soldered joint & insulated would do the job, to do that you would have to remove some of the covering & then twist the pulled out wire around it & add some solder then insulate, 

2. about 50mm from the rubber connector cut the other red/orange wire which is still in the rubber connector, then remove some insulation about 10 to 20mm on each & join the 2 ends by twisting them together then insert into a male bullet connector & crimp it, on the tail which is still in the rubber connector, strip about the same amount of insulation off & crimp a female bullet connector then join these bullet connectors together, that should then restore the right front side light & right rear tail light to proper operation. 

male & female bullet connectors. if you haven't got any I can send a couple up with a bit of red/orange wire. 

Aussel Male & Female Insulated Wire Bullet Crimp Connector ...

I've got some Mate but Thanks Very Much for offer. Right there is Not much room to get in there but will join them somehow.

Don't Laugh at my DIY job 😁 Joined the 2 wires together, best I could with what I had, it was very hard to get hands in .  Got some of that shrink stuff from halfords , added a longer piece to the cut wire then spliced it in to the good one and covered with tape. Seems secure but will keep an eye on it.

Got both back side lights in and working, waiting on fronts coming but the wires are ready for them.

Another snag I hit along the way, is the rear tub is a later TD5 with the 2 holes for lights in pic, but all I have is the 3 hole ones , they don't line up with any of the 2 holes,  not sure wether to drill new holes as these  have threads to screw in to . Cant afford to buy new ones to match. The front is the Origional with the 3 holes, just the back.   

IMG_20200501_165005.jpg

IMG_20200501_194125.jpg

IMG_20200501_193526.jpg

IMG_20200501_193844.jpg

The repair looks good, glad it works, 

As to the rear lights, the neat solution would be 2 new lights, would be a good move to go to led tail/brake lights, wipac or rdx can supply, have a look on ebay. I got mine from bolr on bits ebay shop. 

2 hours ago, western said:

The repair looks good, glad it works, 

As to the rear lights, the neat solution would be 2 new lights, would be a good move to go to led tail/brake lights, wipac or rdx can supply, have a look on ebay. I got mine from bolr on bits ebay shop. 

Thanks couldn't have done it without yiour advice.

Cant really afford to buy  much more, out of work with the Situation we are all in, so will have to make these fit.

Brake light s next, I know there is a switch on the servo at the back, I have the old one not sure if it will work or not yet, cant find any info on the Diagram on wires for brakes, should there be a switch at the pedal too ?

• Like 1

Only brake light switch on the pedal housing/servo mounting at the back face, 

If you use the existing rear lights with 3 screws, long self tapping screws to hold them in place is normal, they just went straight into the body metal, 

2 minutes ago, western said:

Only brake light switch on the pedal housing/servo mounting at the back face, 

If you use the existing rear lights with 3 screws, long self tapping screws to hold them in place is normal, they just went straight into the body metal, 

Cheers Mate, Do you know which wires ? there is a couple of free spades near there, think one is green / purple and one green/black but will check later.

1 Plain Green to brake light switch on  one  terminal & Green/Purple on other terminal, they should be fairly close to the switches 2 wires, doesn't matter which way the go, then wire at rear for brake lights is Green/Purple at left & right. 

Green /Black is fuel gauge wires

4 minutes ago, western said:

1 Plain Green to brake light switch on  one  terminal & Green/Purple on other terminal, they should be fairly close to the switches 2 wires, doesn't matter which way the go, then wire at rear for brake lights is Green/Purple at left & right. 

Green /Black is fuel gauge wires

Spot On Mate. will try it today. 

• Like 1

should be one of that colour in each rear corner where the body of the rear lights come in. it comes from the right rear corner across the rear cross member & up into the left rear corner, it maybe tucked behind the rubber flap at the back of left rear wheelarch 

32 minutes ago, western said:

should be one of that colour in each rear corner where the body of the rear lights come in. it comes from the right rear corner across the rear cross member & up into the left rear corner, it maybe tucked behind the rubber flap at the back of left rear wheelarch 

Only 1 is coming from Main chassis Loom out of right hand side, ends where it is now.

IMG_20200502_115127.jpg

Looks like it's been chopped off then, what a mess, on the Green/Purple you have join a suitable wire to reach the left corner (give yourself plenty of length) then route it along the cross member & up into left corner, then you should have working brake lights. ( make a note) of what wire colour used for the left brake light, you may have to do the same for the tail, indicator lights if you haven't done those already. 

Also to consider is the red/yellow wires for rear fog lights, green/brown for reverse lights, these also go to both corners 

It was like that when I got it, I pulled Loom out to get chassis Galved then put it back through.  So on the green/purple do I splice into it and run one to left then leave one at right so as to join each Brake lights ? If you know what I mean.   The Indicators are just really mocked in place at the mo until everything else is joined then they can all be loomed to fix up in rear crosmember somehow.  Really sorry if you can't understand that lot, this electronic stuff is all new to me. Going for a quick Cuppa to think about it 🤔😉

So on the green/purple do I splice into it and run one to left then leave one at right so as to join each Brake lights ? If you know what I mean.   

Yes exactly that, :i-m_so_happy:

The Indicators are just really mocked in place at the mo until everything else is joined then they can all be loomed to fix up in rear crosmember somehow.

No problem, at least you have sorted the indicators & tail lights & can loom them all together when your ready,

the loom when its ready to route just sits on top of the rear cross member or just forward of it, 

enjoy your cuppa, 

Yes exactly that, :i-m_so_happy:

No problem, at least you have sorted the indicators & tail lights & can loom them all together when your ready,

the loom when its ready to route just sits on top of the rear cross member or just forward of it, 

enjoy your cuppa, 

Cheers Mate I am . Ive found along the way it helps to stop and have a cuppa and a fag every now and again  and just sit and think about things , I used to just pile in hap handed and usually end up breaking something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, western said:

Always a good move to stop & think with a brew, helps things go easier. 

,Indicators, side and brake lights ,  fuel tank, Ready for the Loom, got about 7 or 8 wires left, I know you said above what some of the others are for. so will get on to them. 

The long one in pic was connected with the other 2 fuel tank ones to a plug, it is Purple/white, 

If you notice anything wrong please tell me and I will try and correct it.

IMG_20200502_150725.jpg