Lockdown 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Simon_CSK

Well this lockdown period while being financially crippling is giving me time to sort out my fleet.

In the last two weeks I have removed the dash on my P38 and replaced the heater matrix and o rings. I have fitted an LPG tank and fuel lines ready for the engine bay and changed most of the woodwork on the dash from walnut to polished piano black.

This week I have so far changed the engine on one of my Discovery TD5's and today started it with no issues. Got a few bits to finish like the intercooler and a small hole in the chassis and it is good to go.

Next job to do is my mini convertible which needs a new gearbox, was thinking about scrapping it but now there is  time and have the major components I may as well get it on the road for the summer. 

If there is still time then my Black Disco 2 could get the gearbox and front axle changed as well. 

How is everyone else getting on? 

• Like 1

Not that well. I haven't worked on my Defender for some time as at my age I have problems doing the job now. SO  The interior lights in the loadbay are not working correctly. A simple job  LOL. I found two relacements in my spares box. Took them out but they still don't work. I need work light to check fuses. That needed charging so job stopped off until tomorrow. To cap it all I've managed to knock one of my small tool boxes onto the floor, looks like quarter inch drive sockets are all over.

Although I resolved one issue in the first day, I cannot complete my work as location of my vehicle is off site and the land owner has just had diagnosis of a heart problem. Eventhough I could cycle there as exercise and I would not be in contact with anyone it could put him at risk.

• Sad 1

Same as mmgemini really , the enthusiasm is there but the joints are screaming in protest at replacing shocks , springs and the like , cant wait to get on with some wiring and servicing . The only silver lining is the time factor at least im not trying to squeeze everything into a couple of weekends to keep my 90 on the road , very very strange times at the moment I think you would all agree , so hope all are keeping well and staying as safe as can be .

I'm getting lazy lol without the structure (of a job or others going to a job) I'm finding it real hard.... also feel a bit guilty about driving to the shed lol

That said a little bit on the scooter, a shave n brace for a mates hilux axle, a few little house keeping jobs around the workshop and home.... the one I've been doing the most work on is the 40 series I've talked to the certifier (legal assessor for the mods) and I've started all the design and paperwork to get the design approved..... its sorta mushrooming lol started off with an LS re-power and a bit of fun with radiator mounting and ducting well its expanded to 

LS1 repower to 4 speed manual in factory position (gearbox transfer stays in factory position) running custom headers and twin pipes (through boat side mounts frames if possible) 

Rear mount Radiator with a ducted trans tunnel with remote shifters (bowden cable style)

Remove the body lift (40mm) and cab out riggers, hard mount body to chassis on a boat side style, 100mm forward, replace the roof with a new one, remove the internal cage and replace it with an exo (triangulated through the dash in the cab and mounted to the boat sides) 

Front suspension getting replaced with a 3 link to run 14" 2.5"dia pro fender coil overs with hyd bumps (6" up, 8" down) and axle moved 100mm forward (Wheel Base 100") 

Steering, replace the low steer arms with some custom high steer (correct ackerman, and lift axle side of panhard bar) custom 4140 solid draglink and tierod running toyota dyna balljoints, relocate the steering box forward to match the  

I'm trying to workout how to fit 80 series or 100 series disks onto the front axle, along with a 9-8" dual diaphram booster and depending on which brake caliper possibly aftermarket 1 & 1/8" tandem master (part of this may increase Wheel Track width currently 1850mm, may go out to 1930mm due to IFS surf Hubs, one of the options to solve this puzzle), the rear fiddle brakes will be moved to the trans tunnel and made compliant for road use (removeable manual handles)

Rear suspension will stay as is but will be getting a sway bar to add under steer and make the steering a bit more predictable and slower as due to geometry the front links have a slight oversteer and the amount of body roll this thing has, its like driving a boat lol 

I'll make a custom alloy fuel tank for the back floor of the deck, rebuild the deck and gaurds as well as the rest of the body armor 

And rear axle will be widened (got to confirm length I maybe able to get away with 2 long side axles if there is a great difference in width between front and back I'll get a custom inner axle), possible rear caliper upgrade depending on how large the front calipers are 

This is the level of design I'm working too, where I can....

rv2uoWX.jpg

This is the drivers chassis side engine mount, I'm currently designing all the attatchments for the chassis 

The reason for this level of design is the rules are now setup and limit tyre size.... there is no offical rule limiting tyre size but I've been warned it is near on impossible to get bigger than 35" past, I'm aiming for 37" for road use and the new 38" mud treps for play lol.... my ultimate goal with this is to deliver a product to the local LVVTA certifiers that is good enough it makes a real good impression.... good enough I get backing from them if I start back up doing custom stuff 

So I'll be heading in soon to get more dimensions lol

• Like 1

I've been tidying up a bit, installed some racking and electrickery in the Workshop and generally keeping busy put putting off working on my project P38a...

Once the racking was there, I no longer had an excuse to keep the donor cars rolling. This is what about a week of stripping off parts led to:

image.png

I also recovered another P38a from between the trees where it stood for 6 years and got it running again. 🙂

Filip

3 hours ago, Escape said:

I've been tidying up a bit, installed some racking and electrickery in the Workshop and generally keeping busy put putting off working on my project P38a...

Once the racking was there, I no longer had an excuse to keep the donor cars rolling. This is what about a week of stripping off parts led to:

image.png

I also recovered another P38a from between the trees where it stood for 6 years and got it running again. 🙂

Filip

That picture is not working for me.

I know I should be very grateful of having a job and not being hit finacially but I am very jealous of all the workshop time some of you and my mates are getting. One mate works for UKPN on high voltage lines. Full pay but only have to go in for emergency work so is working full time on his house and Landy and getting paid for it!

I am chipping away at my 90 in the hope it is ready for the road when this lot is over and we can go camping in it

I'm working normal hours on my day job, but from home. With the distraction of 2 school-age children it is not easy to focus and be productive. The fact that it is beautifully sunny outside isn't helping - it's perfect weather for working on cars, and there are plenty of non-urgent jobs the 110 could do with, never mind the Range Rover resto.

I did however find a bit of time at the weekend to work on my elderly and tired mini excavator. It needs a bit of TLC and maintenance, and until now I haven't managed anything in the year since I bought it. So far I've splashed some paint around it, rebuilt the alternator with new regulator and diodes, replaced the ignition switch, made a new throttle lever. I also replaced the oil in the drive reduction boxes. The EP90 smelled more burned that anything I've ever drained out of a diff. Next job is replace the leaking cylinder seals, then the hyd oil and filter, and rebush the very worn king post. That'll be fun as I'd say some herbert has had a welder near it.

In between all this I've managed a spot of industrial level gardening with said machine 😄

image.png.482f4814f7efa348a09df34166eb7d32.png

image.png.523c0002cf6a501990a52314c29f8da3.png

• Like 1

I envy you all!  I can’t do much at all - we have a very strict lockdown here which requires a permit to allow one household member to go food or medicine shopping every third day.  Even medical appointments need a permit to allow you out of your home or its garden.  Key workers can get long term permits, but few jobs allow that.  The bugger is that with my job, every time I work, I have to be Covid tested and put into 14 quarantine, so not only can’t get a permit , but the rules are that we have to self isolate in one room of the house and not interact with our own families for a fortnight.  The trouble is the rostering is patchy, and while some people aren’t working at all, others are doing a few bits and I keep getting duties every fifteen to sixteen days, going from quarantine period to quarantine period!  It’s really not fun.  I worked yesterday, so just started another fortnight.  Internet browsing, streaming TV, reading, a little making plastic models and playing the Xbox is all I can do.  In theory, I can’t even talk to anyone face to face! 🙄. Still, at least I still have my job on half pay - a lot of people are dealing with far worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Filip

You are worse than me. At least mine are all on wheels even if they are disabled. 

The 2 rolling chassis are just out of view. I plan to take the axles off today and get everything weighed in next week.

21 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I envy you all!  I can’t do much at all - we have a very strict lockdown here which requires a permit to allow one household member to go food or medicine shopping every third day.  Even medical appointments need a permit to allow you out of your home or its garden.  Key workers can get long term permits, but few jobs allow that.  The bugger is that with my job, every time I work, I have to be Covid tested and put into 14 quarantine, so not only can’t get a permit , but the rules are that we have to self isolate in one room of the house and not interact with our own families for a fortnight.  The trouble is the rostering is patchy, and while some people aren’t working at all, others are doing a few bits and I keep getting duties every fifteen to sixteen days, going from quarantine period to quarantine period!  It’s really not fun.  I worked yesterday, so just started another fortnight.  Internet browsing, streaming TV, reading, a little making plastic models and playing the Xbox is all I can do.  In theory, I can’t even talk to anyone face to face! 🙄. Still, at least I still have my job on half pay - a lot of people are dealing with far worse.

My wife is in Moscow and she too has to get a permit to go out. Her mum who is over 65 is not allowed out unless for a medical appointment. I hope all sorts itself out soon.

6 minutes ago, Escape said:

The 2 rolling chassis are just out of view. I plan to take the axles off today and get everything weighed in next week.

Filip

I have one P38 I intend to strip the bits I want and weigh in the remains. Am going to have a clear out. Intend to sell on Discovery soon once it is fully running.

57 minutes ago, Snagger said:

That sounds like absolute hell. I'm glad I escaped to Sweden where life goes on fairly normally. But that does mean I'm rather far away from my projects, so nothing getting done there...

Here in France for us, we do very much our normal thing, apart from the travelling and the teaching. Freight trains are running more than ever and as we work in 42 countries on 3 continents, we're kept busy.

We have our offices, workshop, (a lot of) horses, dogs, etc. here on our own 3 Ha., we can order the shopping online and collect once a week. Living in the Allier - out in the country.... - things are very much normal, except for visiting friends..

It must be Hell living with a family on the 19th floor trying to keep them from ......... eachother

3 hours ago, Arjan said:

It must be Hell living with a family on the 19th floor trying to keep them from ......... eachother

My sons and their mother live on the second floor and my youngest has kicked a hole in the wall and then got kicked out of the flat. I at least have and Acre field and plenty of space to breathe.

My son is now staying with friends as he didn't like my idea of quarantine. 

Having my own outside space makes a huge difference, I cannot imagine being trapped in a flat somewhere.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

Having my own outside space makes a huge difference, I cannot imagine being trapped in a flat somewhere.

We were saying this yesterday. We live in a lovely village and are ~5mins walk at most from open space and fields. Even in the nearest two medium sized towns its so much harder for people to get out to space away from others.

33 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Permanent move Ben? or just with your good lady while this blows over?

Temporary for now, staying with my girlfriend indeed. One of my projects is my house in Belgium, so that's a bit of a chain around my ankle atm... 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

We were saying this yesterday. We live in a lovely village and are ~5mins walk at most from open space and fields. Even in the nearest two medium sized towns its so much harder for people to get out to space away from others.

Same here, I can walk out the front gate and straight onto a field footpath. it would be a lot worse if that was not the case

• Like 1

5 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I am 5 miniute walk to the nearest village and even then there is only a few houses. I have been here 3 years and love being on the edge of somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 2

Perhaps I should not post this :

afbeelding.png.62b15c7c04b046b6573949de607fd6f6.png

Basically the view from my office....

Lockdown here is for us not that hard.

Mods : feel free to remove if it offends