Shortcut to front differential removal required

Has anyone on here removed the front diff from a Defender or Disco without splitting the CV joint? Can I just remove the outer joint complete with inner half shaft to slip the diff out? I just don't want to have to buy loads of gaskets and refill the cv with oneshot grease. Is it possible? Or is there a circlip that forces me to split the CV in order to pull the half shafts out far enough for the diff to clear its exit from the housing? Many thanks fellow DIY home mechanics. I have all the gear to reset the diff and shim preload pressure/dial gauge etc, and am trying to cut costs at every corner here. The diff has thrown the drive pinion bearing so needs removing but the rest of the train is OK.

You can remove the 7 bolts that hold the swivels to the casing l+r and pull the whole lot back abut 2 inch, so the diff can come out. Probable the easiest way.

Needs a 12 sided ring spanner, can't remember the size.

Daan

• Like 1

Yes, I removed the wheels & unbolted the stub axle from casing & pulled the shafts out so diff would be able to be removed, IIRC I pulled them all the way out & stood them hub down in the parent wheel. 

14mm ring spanner on my '89110.

You will also have to undo the bracket that holds the brake line in place, which means undoing bolts of the top swivel bearing. These are open holes, so anything which falls into them ends up in the swivel grease/oil, clean well before you undo them.

When you undo these bolts, the tension on the swivel bearings is undone which means that the hub will have a lot of play and that swivel grease will leak from the bottom of the ball. If you have a second pair of hands, ask them to pull the hub outward, so you keep the large swivel oil seal tightened to the ball. Best to have some one shot available since you might need to top up.

IIRC correctly, the 12 point bolts are size 14. I invested in a folding ratchet spanner which saved a lot of time. The bolts look flanged, but it actually is a ring.  

I suggest having available some 12-point replacement bolts for the brake calipers and the stub axle (different size), a pair of stub axle oil seals (the ones which the drive shaft goes through) and one shot grease.

While you're at it, install a magnetic drain plug in the diff housing, this is the same as in the LT230, or order extra strong ones at Nigel's.

Good luck,

Joris.

I think you will find they are actually 9/16th but a 14 is close enough. It is certainly the quickest and easiest way of doing it. Only hassle is getting the halfshaft wiggled back into the diff when reassembling

Just put a bottle jack under the swivel, remove the brake pipe bracket, then do the bolts back up!

You'll also need to remove the drag links too, undo the 19mm nut and give the arm a sharp tap with a hammer for the track rod to seperate.

They will swing round as they're unbalanced, so you may as well pull it completely out and sit in in the corresponding wheel for safe keeping!

I bought an extra long 14mm ratchet spanner (ring on one end, ratchet on the other all 14mm)

It was one of these, but I can't find it sold seperately

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-AK6319-Double-Ended-Ring-Ratchet-Fixed-Spanner-Set-7pce-Extra-Long-Metric/121811024284?epid=18017007848&hash=item1c5c80b99c:g:F60AAOSwVpRbRdDt

Steve

Edit:

Found it!

https://www.nctractorspares.co.uk/double-ring-ratchetfixed-spanner-extra-long-14mm-30801-p.asp

Edited by steve200TDi

I have done it that way, however these days I would suggest that for the extra half an hour's work on each side it is better to strip the hub and stub axle off the swivel housing. The CV and shaft can then be pulled out to allow for the diff removal. It also gives you a chance to re-grease the wheel bearings and inspect the stub axle seal land, as well as replace the oil/grease in the swivel housing.

Stick a bottle jack under the bottom swivel pin if removing the top pin bolts, this stops it dropping and damaging the seal. Slot the bracket for the brake pipe so that in future you can remove the caliper and hang it up out of the way without having to bleed the brakes.

2 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I think you will find they are actually 9/16th but a 14 is close enough. It is certainly the quickest and easiest way of doing it. Only hassle is getting the halfshaft wiggled back into the diff when reassembling

But they're M10 bolts? :unsure:. Doubt very much they'd then size it with an imperial head, even with the double hex. Might be because you've put the spanner on a slightly crusty bolt head? 

But yeah, wiggling the half shaft back in whilst holding the lump of swivel housing/stub/hub is a complete ballache. 

46 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

But they're M10 bolts? :unsure:. Doubt very much they'd then size it with an imperial head, even with the double hex. Might be because you've put the spanner on a slightly crusty bolt head? 

But yeah, wiggling the half shaft back in whilst holding the lump of swivel housing/stub/hub is a complete ballache. 

I could well be incorrectly remembering then!!

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Hmmm that's a rather optimistic time prediction if you ask me...

Five bolts and the circlip for the drive flange, two hub nuts and then five stub axle bolts. When you take away the need to undo the swivel bolts and the steering arms, you might even save time. 

The only reason it might take longer is if everything is seized up horribly, but in that case it needs stripping and rebuilding anyway. 

• Like 1

Having done it the "quick" way just undoing the 7 bolts each side, if you haven't got any help nearby and are not in a hurry (eg. mid competition) I'd suggest taking it to pieces. It was a real pig to get mine back together due to the weight and awkward shape of everything. If I have to do it again I'll go the "slow" way just to avoid doing myself an injury trying to get the thing back together!

I made a crow foot ring spanner up when I did mine to get them torqued up properly.  Buy one of Halfords finest spanners cut it in half and weld an M10 nut to the ring end.  Make sure you check length required before cutting.