P38 Dash out .... scary stuff!

Blanco

Well Covid 19 has focused my efforts at last, the P38 is to be SORN'ed at the end of the month and the insurance was up for renewal yesterday so the big decision was taken to take it off the road now and get into this coolant leak. Spent yesterday afternoon taking the dash out (soo many bits!... woooo) Spent much of today working out how to get the heater box out of the remains, tricky stuff, Rave isn't great on detail here. Finally managed to extract the core unit and have uncovered some issues I wasn't expecting; some pillock (me) has ordered the wrong size of o-ring for the leaky heat exchanger pipe connections. Also previous owners kids were using the vents as a money box, I have about 30 odd bits of small change recovered from various parts of the system! some of them right in with the heat exchanger, which has it's own leak in addition to the o-rings so there will be a delay putting it all back together while I wait for the parts.

At least that will give the floor a chance to dry out, very wet !!! And since the drivers seat is out I will try and swap the seat base over

IMG_20200422_143455.thumb.jpg.277fc83e24a50edad920a73ce7390de7.jpg

IMG_20200422_154904.thumb.jpg.2970414471f4f5ce2c7d7a91f3a93bd4.jpg

IMG_20200422_122451.thumb.jpg.1f949e70153e0f3cd68a73914a02a26f.jpg

I did the same thing last week and didn't really find it that bad a job. In my case I just took my time and plodded along over two or three days. I have most of it back together but have a problem with the HEVAC controller so left it and fitted a new engine to one of my Discovery 2's 

One we tip for you when putting the dash back in. Put tape on the windscreen at the location of the rear bolts it gives you an approximate location and saves a lot of time feeling for the holes.

19 hours ago, Escape said:

Brave man! It really is a pig of a job, hope it goes back together OK. But now you have all the access you need to do a proper job.

I knew it was a big job but I don't think I realised just what was involved last time I did one was probably a Morris Marina, ... about a quarter of the components. 

While I am waiting for the bits, I have been busy cleaning, drying, and attending to the seat,

Bought a passenger seat a little while back ,

IMG_20200423_093931.thumb.jpg.96055f7f5882fdf53a992569d20cacf4.jpg

Plan is to swap the base over to overcome the wear  on the outside of mine. Tricky part was separating the seat back from the base but it let go eventually and went back in without any drama, I was pleased and surprised.

IMG_20200423_103259.jpg

18 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

One we tip for you when putting the dash back in. Put tape on the windscreen at the location of the rear bolts it gives you an approximate location and saves a lot of time feeling for the holes.

Thats a great shout, I will, thanks..... I am going to carry on tomorrow, the flaps and the box seems OK now I've removed the coins, have to try and check out the blend motors in the morning and then clean up the flow and return pipes. If all that checks out I have a passenger door to swap over.... another big job I haven't been over eager to start but no excuses left!

On 4/22/2020 at 11:15 PM, Simon_CSK said:

but have a problem with the HEVAC controller

.... I might have the same, ..... had the motors out and opened up, no physical problem apparent, in fact they are 'new' Britpart replacements, I was told that the blend motors had been done when I bought the vehicle but I took that with a pinch of salt as the book symbol came back straight after I fixed the A/C.

I have taken out the airbag and SRS fuses and plugged almost everything else back in to test, but none of the motors moves.

Question if anyone knows, I lined up the marks on the cogs when I re-assembled the servos, and rotated the flaps to suit the resultant position when fitting them in place, I assume that the feedback system should sort that out in its head and pressing the Auto button would reboot the sytem to zero in. Or do you have to put the flaps in a starting position so that it knows where it is? 

5 hours ago, Blanco said:

.... I might have the same, ..... had the motors out and opened up, no physical problem apparent, in fact they are 'new' Britpart replacements, I was told that the blend motors had been done when I bought the vehicle but I took that with a pinch of salt as the book symbol came back straight after I fixed the A/C.

I have taken out the airbag and SRS fuses and plugged almost everything else back in to test, but none of the motors moves.

Question if anyone knows, I lined up the marks on the cogs when I re-assembled the servos, and rotated the flaps to suit the resultant position when fitting them in place, I assume that the feedback system should sort that out in its head and pressing the Auto button would reboot the sytem to zero in. Or do you have to put the flaps in a starting position so that it knows where it is? 

I know both my Hevac controllers are broken as I plugged them both into another car and neither works. 

I think this is what they mean by mission creep!, I just thought I would sort out the blend motors, then when I had to wait for the bits I thought I would swop the door over for one that hadn't been run into by the builder's truck; ..... I couldn't get at the hinges so I decided to take the wing off, to get the wing off I had to take the bumper off and the sill cover, to get the sill cover off the mudflap had to come off etc.etc. ....... finally started putting things back phew!

IMG_20200428_120802.thumb.jpg.bdb4e37de03ef4de1972c11970e1a0bb.jpg

• Haha 1

The motors have a rotational potentiometer in the gearbox, so the system should be able to work out the position of the flaps. You can force a calibration cycle with diagnostics, sometimes that's enough to get them going again.

Thanks lads, .... before I got involved in the door shell swop, I dusted off the train set power supply and tested all three motors and the pots seem fine so just waiting on couriers for the Nanocom and the heater matrix, a few weeks back I already gave the HEVAC panel some love and did the bulbs and Zebra connectors so fingers crossed that'll be enough. Don't fancy putting it back in until I see it all working with my own eyes:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found some Valeo blend motors on fleabay new at Britpart money and they turned up yesterday,... Good news and bad news......

The Good news is that they work perfectly, the book symbol has retired and the HEVAC panel is looking good :D

IMG_20200509_131911.thumb.jpg.c5679604008d03a12b747269284fdc56.jpg

The bad news is that when I started the engine to check the coolant leak, it still soaked the footwell, so back to square one there, ...

8 hours ago, Blanco said:

The Good news is that they work perfectly, the book symbol has retired and the HEVAC panel is looking good :D

What causes the book symbol and does it mean I need to take my dash apart again? 😲

16 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

What causes the book symbol and does it mean I need to take my dash apart again? 😲

Book symbol just means something is logging a fault, plugging in a testbook or Nanocom would tell you what, if everything is working though or working well enough I certainly wouldn't rush to tear it all out again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been a while but I finally put this job to bed yesterday, car is back together, door is sorted, carpet dried out and put back and the seat too (Huge difference it makes to my back and legs sitting square on , ....best result of the lot) Some things had to come out and go back twice (or thrice) due to forgetting what went where/when/how but I think it would bother me less now to pull it all out again. There were some practical delays caused by the contractor coming back to spray foam the roof.

One aspect of the job which upsets me is although I have managed to get it all back in and looking tidy is that previous 'mechanics' working on the dash have managed to break, crack, or split the plastic at almost every fixing location, a good proportion of the fixings were missing and I found most of those once everything was out. The plastic does seem to suffer (more than most?) with age but clearly it wasn't helped by the apparently hurried rip out and re-assembly last time round. 

Still SORN'ed so going to attack the EAS next, ................ but not till after I finish the en-suite shower.