Cut CB coax cable.

Gazzar

Why can't I cut the co ax cable from the antenna?

The cable is very long, and the connector is huge, requiring a massive home in the body to feed in. 

If I cut it, it would be much easier, and I could reconnect with f connectors.

That's good advice, I've bought a swr meter.

I doubt I'll get a good reading, with the roof rack, but if I can get it so the CB is safe, then that will do. 

If you really need to join it in the middle, there's no major problem, but cutting the connection at one end or the other and feeding the cable through is always better.
Most cb antenna bases will allow you to remove the coax, or accept the same PL259 plug as the radio, which is cheap and easy to fit.

F connector is a poor choice for lots of reasons. It's the wrong impedance and it's designed for solid conductor coax.

The issue with cutting and joining coax is that usually the more joins in the system, the worse the antenna performance is (certainly on VHF which is what I use).

When fitting a new coax I usually chop the moulded plug off the transceiver end, feed it in and then re-terminate it with a new solder-type plug on for the transceiver.

I think I'll do exactly that. I'll get it to the CB location, then re terminate it. The plugs are cheap, so that's a good  approach. I'll need to find somewhere where i can do the calibration, too many trees around the yard!

Hopefully they'll be able to moderate the lockdown soon, and I can take the truck to a nearby farm and play with the meter.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.