200 and 300tdi master cylinder comparability

I'm converting a 200tdi defender to a M52 BMW engine using an adapter plate a V8 bell housing..

It's all together and refitting the hydraulic system..

I've currently still got a 200tdi master pedal, whereas the slave is a 300tdi/V8 /td5 unit to suit the bell housing

Come to bleed and getting very little feel..

I'm now it's best to replace both, but could the reason for no feel be the cross comparability of the items..

I'm thinking I should get a 300tdi master, though would this fit on the 200tdi pedal box.. I believe it would? Anyone able to confirm or any other input welcome!

Same master cylinder for the clutch on 200 & 300 Tdi,  the slave cylinder is different for LT77 or R380 gearbox

Have you got the slave cylinder fitted with the bleed screw upper most, if not it won't bleed all the trapped air out. 

Yup.. bleed screw at the top..

On the pedal it's probably 60% dead, with the final part maybe acting properly..

I've contemplated adjusting the pedal height but it  seems to be behaving incorrectly to start off with..

That’s normal for just bled status, in my experience it’s almost impossible to get all the air out first time. I usually get enough of a pedal that I can just about operate the clutch and then over the next day or two of driving it works it’s way back to normal. Some folk advocate wedging the pedal down overnight to resolve it, I’ve never tried that myself. Positioning the vehicle nose-up as much as possible can help with the bleeding. 

1 hour ago, western said:

Same master cylinder for the clutch on 200 & 300 Tdi,  the slave cylinder is different for LT77 or R380 gearbox

Have you got the slave cylinder fitted with the bleed screw upper most, if not it won't bleed all the trapped air out. 

The master was previously working with a lt77.. it's now affixed to a R380 but can't see why it would cause issue?

I'm still a bit off driving/startup, so I'll try a pin the pedal down for a few days, see what happens..

When changing master cylinder anyway I'd recommend this:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.landypedia.de%2Findex.php%2FReparaturanleitungen_Kupplungshydraulik

(funny translation 🙂 )

I wrote the article and have the dorman since 20.000 km in my 200Tdi.

Fixing the pedal down over night works perfect. The air is climbing up in the tubes and goes into the reservoir, when releasing the pedal. I allways needed it only once.

Edited by Sigi_H

Try bleeding with the front end of the car raised ( park up hill or put it on stands) so that the system’s air gets to the bleed nipple, trashed than being trapped at the other end of the slave cylinder behind the piston.  It’s a common problem that is easy to sort.  Double check that the bleed nipple and inlet pipe are in the right ports - it has been known!  😉

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

did you reverse bleed with a pressure bleeder? If so, did you run about 500ml of fluid through?

Nope, no pressure bleeder, just the traditional open nipple, pump pedal, release pedal, close nipple.. check and top up master etc..

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

Reverse pressure bleeding makes this whole process rather easy

Is that with a ezzibleed?.. 

I have one in the shed to be honest, I could give it a try..

The clutch pedal has been pushed down all night so I'll see how its done soon

Edited by tommobot

I sometimes thought, the only problem bleeding the clutch system is, that you have to crawl under the car and open the bleeder on the slave cylinder while another person presses the pedal

That means to me, having a brake hose attached to the slave cylinder instead of the bleeder, but with a bleeder on the end, makes it possible to have the bleeder beside the reservoir under the hood 🙂

I discarded that idea, when I found out, that it is so easy to block the pedal down for a night.

Edited by Sigi_H

So I've had another look at this, I had s leak which was my cause of the issue..

I cannot for the life of me get the male thread from any of the existing 200tdi pipework to fit the slave cylinder..

Does anyone know if the thread pitch / size changed between a 200tdi and td5 / V8 / 300tdi slave cylinder..

A bit more info, I have FTC5202.

Which as above doesn't fit in with the existing threads/ system.

A bit of reading suggests I may need FTC5072(for disco and 300tdi).. or FTC5071 (for series 3/3.5 V8 defender).. I'm running a V8 R380, and the era would suggest it would be a UNF? thread, although I don't think they had r380's so not sure if the throw of the piston would suit..

Alternatively, I could get NTC9055 which appears to be a Flexi hose with unf at one end and m12 at the other..

Not sure if I could screw the Flexi straight into the slave..  it wouldn't have the flared end, but does it need it?

post-4308-1194058321_thumb.jpg

Investigating some of my old cylinders I found, that a swap of the pistons is possible. But there will be some rust between the cylinder and the piston. It is mostly at the end of the cylinder, so it doesn't harm the seal on the piston. Remove it carefully.