Cam follower guide bolts

Sabre

I see that both the LR workshop manual and Haynes manual advises that the Cam follower guide bolts need to be renewed. I cannot see the reason for this. The bolts get torqued to 17Nm only

Any advice from members of this forum as to the risk of using the old bolts ?

I can't buy them loose; they only come with a cam follower kit.

Thanks in advance

The most important part to check is the rollers themselves. Any wear at all on those will wear the cam lobes fast.  I think the rest is a little less fussy, but do take a close look at the brass slides, especially the cups.  The steel tubes tend to be robust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

The most important part to check is the rollers themselves. Any wear at all on those will wear the cam lobes fast.  I think the rest is a little less fussy, but do take a close look at the brass slides, especially the cups.  The steel tubes tend to be robust.

Rollers are perfect, no marks, pit marks, nothing. I did buy new brass slides though. 

55 minutes ago, western said:

I have 8 from my 200tdi, they were replaced during my engine rebuild, all 8 have the conical tips in good order,  happy to post them to you, PM your address.

IMG_20200429_155517.jpg

Western, I inspected each bolt with a magnifying glass, just now, and they still look brand new. I have no doubt that they can be re-used. But, thanks for the offer 👍

• Like 1

That's good they only hold the outer sleeve & keep the bronze slider from twisting, there's always plenty of oil,on them, glad yours are good to use, just thought I would offer these up as they are just sat in a drawer in my garage.

18 hours ago, western said:

That's good they only hold the outer sleeve & keep the bronze slider from twisting, there's always plenty of oil,on them, glad yours are good to use, just thought I would offer these up as they are just sat in a drawer in my garage.

If they're not in your way, keep them. Someone, somewhere will need, and appreciate, them when the need arises

• Like 1