How to stop seat belts catching in the door lock

We all know how your seat belt doesn't retract fully all the time, and sometimes gets caught in the door locking catch.

I have "invented" a little gadget that should help stop this. I came up with it myself some time ago, but have since seen it in a car (in China), but I didn't copy it, honestly. It's so simple. It's basically a loop of fabric around the seat belt (the Chinese car actually had one of those plastic runners you see which stop seat belts retracting too far) and a piece of elastic back to the bulkhead, or a suitable attachment point behind the seat. (I simply tied it round the roll over cage upright.)    

681384499_Seatbelt1.jpg.568bc60441c62892a6504742812eb62f.jpg

I was going to use Velcro to hold the loop together, but I couldn't find any at home. I had a couple of these buckles lying around so used one on each side. That means it can be undone,  but it doesn't need to be. But if you sew the loop together around the seat belt, you have to do it outside in the cold, so I did it indoors and clipped it into place.

883560848_Seatbelt2.jpg.9d3fb47add4d8c0900668c12667cd36a.jpg

Cost about 50p for the buckles. I had the elastic and the "ribbon" for the loop lying around.

You could do it with one simple loop of elastic.

And HERE'S video of it in action, being retracted. 

my solution is free !  

20200429_192014.thumb.jpg.7a00891cff694d3c444e9728e3f28ed2.jpg

and the nice thing about this , the car does it by itself ..... if i undo the belt , and retract it "the normal way" , the next time i undo my belt , it is in this position again 🙂 

maybee because the previous owner put the seat about 1" backwards .

20200429_191957.thumb.jpg.6494d54b8756d45fc586c45f639ce96b.jpg

mmm i see i need to clean the interior   .....

31 minutes ago, martyn668 said:

Hurbie, you’ve got some sort of retainer attached to the seat box too. That’s not a bad idea. Moves the seat belt away from the catch. 

That's a factory fitted part, my 110 has them too. https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/115461/3963/seatbelt_clip_defender_from_vin_2a_on

see my reply in https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/100824-seat-belt-bracket-mount-bolts/

11 hours ago, hurbie said:

my solution is free !  

20200429_192014.thumb.jpg.7a00891cff694d3c444e9728e3f28ed2.jpg

and the nice thing about this , the car does it by itself ..... if i undo the belt , and retract it "the normal way" , the next time i undo my belt , it is in this position again 🙂 

maybee because the previous owner put the seat about 1" backwards .

20200429_191957.thumb.jpg.6494d54b8756d45fc586c45f639ce96b.jpg

mmm i see i need to clean the interior   .....

The only problem with this is in an accident as the belt goes tight it could release the seat back, thus further injuring the occupant.

Mike

• Like 1

My 200Tdi is nothing like that. The seatbelt 'reel' and bottom attachment point are behind the seats. Did they move it to the way mine is and then move it back if martyn668 has it this way in his 2001?

27 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

It depends on body type I believe. Most hard-tops have the reel and lower attachment point in behind the seats as in martyn668's photos. Station wagons generally have the lower attachment point at the sill as per hurbie's setup.

That is really odd! Mine was a hardtop so that does explain it but a 90 hardtop and a 90 SW both have the bulkhead behind the front seats so having the two different does not make much sense