Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

I've been losing a little bit of steering fluid for a while now but after cleaning the engine bay it's needing attention a bit sooner than I thought it might so I've ordered a recon box from paddocks. The UJ at the top of the steering column (closest to the steering wheel) has quite a lot of play in it and I'm going to replace this at the same time. It looks like you can get the upper joint seperately (NRC7387) www.lrdirect.com/NRC7387-Steering-U-J-Dsrr-Late-Lower-90-110/

It's a 1998 300tdi 110, does anyone know if this will fit and if it's an easy enough job to do or do people usually just change the whole arm? The lower UJ doesn't seem to have any play in it and the steering box is an expense I could have done without at the moment so trying to keep costs down but I'm also hoping to be able to get the steering reasonably slop free so I'm happy to spend a little bit extra if it's going ot make the different.

Also are there any other parts I might need to order while replacing the box and UJ?

Thanks in advance

video of play in UJ

https://youtu.be/oqhz-3He0t8

Edited by Sharp

Posted (edited)

Looks like some unusual fasteners on the joint:

IMG_20200506_102631.jpg.a1f8175917867b8945b8f683caf65a58.jpg

IMG_20200506_102619.jpg.7ea85c6a94ab3046275881e55aa678ac.jpg

IMG_20200506_102517.jpg.82c739686f7d7fac4664f850dd77ec31.jpg

a view of the whole joint

IMG_20200506_103309.thumb.jpg.a13c1fa305b6c6d4f8d6f1ab894511f0.jpg

Edited by Sharp

Those are rivets.  You could drill them out and replace them with bolts and nyloc nuts, or you could just tap in the peeling of the yolk and replace the UJ itself, retaining the existing shaft and flex coupling.

Posted (edited)

Its hard to tell from the pictures but looking again it looks like they are different parts, the listing looks like it's two pinch bolts to fit on two splines where as mine looks like a pinch bolt at the top and another fixing below. I wonder if I've got the wrong part number?

Picture of upper UJ listed on lrdirect

Untitled.png.341d5c054629b38f2853ba07b1b41f94.png

This listing looks to be the same as what is on the vehicle but I can't find a part for only the upper uj - www.paddockspares.com/qme500031-steering-shaft-including-joints-from-va133509.html

Picture of the full assembly from the paddocks link:

Untitled.png.d552e466e191ae425536515028c424d8.png

Edited by Sharp

That is not for the end of the column you photographed.  What is fitted at the steering box end?

I have units like the black UJ on both ends of mine, but I have P38 parts on a 109 retrofit.  There are different lower columns with varying UJ arrangements.

The last pic I posted if the full assembly looks like exactly what's on the vehicle

I was wondering if it was for the other end, which is closer to the black part you have, but still not the same.  That part is not compatible with your column, but I think the UJ itself isn’t the same and could be transferred if you have some tools to do it.

Those UJs are for the earlier shaft, you have the later shaft which is generally replaced as a unit.

More expense I'm afraid. It will probably feel like a new truck when you drive it after fitting though. Hang fire on the box until you've changed the shaft.

Mo

The 1998 300tdi was the first year to have the new style non rebuildable lower steering column which you have. Personally if you have play in it I would purchase an earlier lower column as these have replaceable UJs  and new upper and lower UJs. The old style column you can’t normally give away as they never fail so shouldn’t cost you too much.

Thanks for the help, I ended up going for a like for like replacement which was £50.

• Like 2