Mystery switch blank

I've always wondered why there is a switch hole punched into the stiffener panel under a defender binnacle, on the right hand side. From my experience, all pre puma defenders have this, and it's always fitted with a blanking plug. 

Anyone know what it's for? 

s-l400.jpg.e1bcae8a75b88912a91d0148ebb6114b.jpg

for twin tank fuel switch over on some export or military models. On my 110 I drilled the blank with a hole for a toggle switch to operate alternating hazard warning ing lights on my rally recovery trailer.

2 hours ago, western said:

for twin tank fuel switch over on some export or military models. On my 110 I drilled the blank with a hole for a toggle switch to operate alternating hazard warning ing lights on my rally recovery trailer.

The switch over on our 110 is a tap on the front of the seatbox drivers side. Interestingly it switches the fuel gauge as well.

Mike

6 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The switch over on our 110 is a tap on the front of the seatbox drivers side. Interestingly it switches the fuel gauge as well.

This is the same as the series  MOD twin tank setups, as you say, it switches the fuel gauge too.

Very expensive part to replace if it goes wrong....

I have two of those MoD brass taps, plus linked return line valves, for three fuel tanks.  I should never need a fuel can again for that car.  Interesting that some 110 markets chose to have a solenoid operated valve system instead of the simpler and surely cheaper old taps.

The gauge switches are expensive, but you can use brake light switches at 1/4 the price if you drill out the bracket hole a little, and the cork gaskets are available new.  There isn’t much else to go wrong with them, really.

Series dash binnacle bottoms also have holes punched in them, but smaller circles, and presumably for Lucas switches for accessories.

I separated the interior lights and instrument back-lights from the single on-off-on switch by my right knee, into 2 x separate switches.

The interior lights are now on a switch on the centre panel on the dash, and the instrument back-lights are now on their own switch in this position under the clocks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...