Wipers

Ready to rebuild mu Dash back up but problem with wipers. Drivers side had been cut off for some reason by someone, so replaced with new onw, I know I should have got both but just got the one stupid me.

Anyway they both turn when switched on,  but the new one with wiper arm on it just flops down in to the engine bay.

The old one seems to turn OK and hold the arm better.   When switched off I can turn the new one by hand but the old one wont budge, I have ordered another just in case , might aswell have both new.

Stuck to get on now until I get these sorted.

IMG_20200510_135751.jpg

Have you got both with the cable tube at the top if not they will not operate correctly & try to park the wipers on the bonnet. see page 729 [page number top centre of each page] http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/8_body_electrics_p667-740.pdf

there's a pretty good guide on repairs here https://www.firstfour.co.uk/news/land-rover-defender-wiper-repair-guide/

by the way the screen washer jet is 180 degree out, it needs to face up.

9 minutes ago, western said:

Have you got both with the cable tube at the top if not they will not operate correctly & try to park the wipers on the bonnet. see page 729 [page number top centre of each page] http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/8_body_electrics_p667-740.pdf

there's a pretty good guide on repairs here https://www.firstfour.co.uk/news/land-rover-defender-wiper-repair-guide/

by the way the screen washer jet is 180 degree out, it needs to face up.

I am sure the Tube is at top on both , going up now to check, will take pic. Does the Motor have to be removed to change these as I just changed the Drivers side with it still fitted only moving the last bit of Tube then put it back in. .

They way you done it is OK for the driver side wheelbox,, But was the motor definetly in the parked position ? 

to replace the left one you will have to extract the motor complete with the drive cable [this will or should be greased] to allow the left wheelbox to be fitted. 

18 minutes ago, western said:

They way you done it is OK for the driver side wheelbox,, But was the motor definetly in the parked position ? 

to replace the left one you will have to extract the motor complete with the drive cable [this will or should be greased] to allow the left wheelbox to be fitted. 

Not sure if  it was in parked position, didn't really think as about it. How can you tell ?

take the arms & blades off, mark the side of the adaptors that sits in line with the screen seal edge with something you can see easily [white or light coloured paint or some masking tape] then ign on & operate the motor, the mark should move through just over 90degrees towards the vehicles right side & return to the rest [same position] when the motor stops. then the arms & blades can be refitted so the sit parallel with the screen seal edge.

1 hour ago, western said:

take the arms & blades off, mark the side of the adaptors that sits in line with the screen seal edge with something you can see easily [white or light coloured paint or some masking tape] then ign on & operate the motor, the mark should move through just over 90degrees towards the vehicles right side & return to the rest [same position] when the motor stops. then the arms & blades can be refitted so the sit parallel with the screen seal edge.

They do as you said but don't think it's in park position as with arm folded back they drop down in engine bay then back up😀

IMG_20200510_164210.jpg

IMG_20200510_163510.jpg

IMG_20200510_163501.jpg

6 minutes ago, western said:

Motor position may need tweaking a bit, but looks as close to this one. Have a read of this too, as the park switch ramp might be in the wrong place on the gear.

post-1475-126374371741_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mate, It does look in right position but will have a good look. I have only 1 wiper arm which I am trying with , its an old one so could be the splines in it are not that good, with Ignition off and when on the old wheel it seems to lock in place but when on the new it just drops down with the weight of it. If you can understand that.  

16 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Might sound stupid but as theold one is firm and does not move, but new one move freely!?! Have you TIGHTENED up the Grub screw in the wiper arm???

Yes Mate both tightened up, , Should they be able to  Move by Hand,  the Old one does not but does move as it should with Ignition and switch on.

26 minutes ago, western said:

Yep, reckon it's a worn out arm as you suggest, oh well a bit more expense but it'll be worth the effort. 

Yes but still think they are in the wrong position.  will have to order new arms might as well get  blades aswell, don't think they are expensive. 

2 minutes ago, western said:

There should be minimal play movement when you try to twist the adaptor with wipers off & motor off. I replaced the adaptors on my 110 last week & there is no movement between the shaft & adaptor.

I just replaced new one same way I took old one off, must have done something wrong.

You guys did all see the colour of the parts bag against the bulkhead, right?

I think you need to get new single hubs - Britpart are terrible for things like this.  Chances are the outside diameter is too small.

To be honest that colour bag for the wiper spindles aren't bad and personally i have had more problems with Bearmach items regarding wipers, arms and spindles!?! Just my experience though. 

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think you need to get new single hubs - Britpart are terrible for things like this.  Chances are the outside diameter is too small.

Yes Mate Britpart.  Watched this Vid  he has the same one and this was the problem, done as he said and fixed.   Might cancel the other one and just get the bit that the wiper arm fits on to,  save taking the Motor and everything else back out.

and exact same problem 

7 minutes ago, western said:

I have a used but good adaptor here if you want it Kev, can post it up, just PM your address. recently replaced mine as both arms/adaptors were loose on the shafts. 

Great Mate will do. Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Nothing wrong with Britpart, half of us wouldn't be able to afford to have Land Rovers without them.🙂

IMG_3500.JPG