LED bulbs

L19MUD

I started looking today for some H1 LED bulbs to replace H1 55w standard bulbs, some LED bulbs to replace standard 21w indicator bulbs, and LED bulbs to replace standard stop tail bulbs. 

These are to replace bulbs in a light bar so not standard fit by a manufacturer. The hope would be that they would be brighter, use less power if the light bar runs with the engine not running for a bit and the lifespan would be a lot longer. 

After an hour of trawling amazon and ebay I had pretty much convinced myself that I would be better off just sticking to what I have as the results and reviews vary so much. Has anyone got first hand experience of anything that is actually better than a normal bulb or am I wasting my time? 

I have tried various LED sidelamp bulbs, and all of them have not lasted long, so have reverted back to standard 501.

Have also tried interior festoon LEDs, and the non canbus ones do not work well as they keep flashing intermittently, but the canbus types with built in resistors are really good.

Not that this helps you much with the H1s

Big Clive on Youtube has reviewed (and dismantled) a lot of LED bulbs.

Trouble is the cheap ones are cack and it's very hard to spot the good ones and which ones are just cheap ones re-branded as expensive ones...

Not seen any H4-replacement types that I've really believed in, I'd consider a cheap HID conversion above LED's for that.

When I last hunted around this place was the best place to get E-marked LED lighting units.

https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/

A sparp MOT inspector could fail you for using LED bulbs inside reflectors designed for bulbs. Potentially seems petty but some are fare worse than others. You also run the risk of not having much distinction between brake and tail lights.

I'm a little hesitant from getting LED headlights or fogs just yet as they tend to be cold on the lens, so risk condensation or being covered with snow. There are heated lense options, but these were LHD only last time I looked.

Not a cheap exercise if done right, and I wonder if they need a little more protection (electrically from noise) than filaments in order to make them long term reliable.

Very few LED replacement bulbs do what they promise on the tin I found.

So we use all LED - apart from the headleamps.

Find good H4 doing a good job.

1 hour ago, WesBrooks said:

When I last hunted around this place was the best place to get E-marked LED lighting units.

https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/

A sparp MOT inspector could fail you for using LED bulbs inside reflectors designed for bulbs. Potentially seems petty but some are fare worse than others. You also run the risk of not having much distinction between brake and tail lights.

I'm a little hesitant from getting LED headlights or fogs just yet as they tend to be cold on the lens, so risk condensation or being covered with snow. There are heated lense options, but these were LHD only last time I looked.

Not a cheap exercise if done right, and I wonder if they need a little more protection (electrically from noise) than filaments in order to make them long term reliable.

This is in a recovery lightbar and the stop/tail lenses are in the bar and behind the orange lense and 6ft 6 in the air so I very much doubt they would be spotted. There just does not seem to be enough benefit to changing them at the moment from the research I have done and anything decent for the H1 replacements (these are the main beacon bulbs) seems expensive and potentially rubbish too

Can't complain about the light the LEDs in my Merc put out though.

What I have noticed is that a lot of people seem to think they're being blinded, and flash at me, even though their car is very obviously not lit up. I'm guessing just because they see a large amount of light coming their way? That is even without the adaptive high beams being active.

The LED bulbs from Classic Car LEDs seem interesting though, and at £60/pair not that much more expensive over the span of a few years than burning through a few sets of Osram Nightbreakers.

3 minutes ago, elbekko said:

What I have noticed is that a lot of people seem to think they're being blinded, and flash at me, even though their car is very obviously not lit up. I'm guessing just because they see a large amount of light coming their way? That is even without the adaptive high beams being active.

The LED bulbs from Classic Car LEDs seem interesting though, and at £60/pair not that much more expensive over the span of a few years than burning through a few sets of Osram Nightbreakers.

Same issue in the MINI, people often thing that's on high beam when its not. 

6 minutes ago, elbekko said:

There seem to be quite a few happy campers with these on the Defender 2 forum. I don't think I could stomach paying £60 for a pair of bulbs but those who have bought seem to think it's money well spent.

Mo

Just now, Mo Murphy said:

There seem to be quite a few happy campers with these on the Defender 2 forum. I don't think I could stomach paying £60 for a pair of bulbs but those who have bought seem to think it's money well spent.

Mo

Still not legal in the UK in a headlamp and should fail an MOT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Still not legal in the UK in a headlamp and should fail an MOT.

Nevertheless people are still pleased with their performance Ross.

Please let's not turn this into an IVA thread 😊👍

Mo

• Like 1

The LED lights in cars from the factory are insanely better engineered than anything you're going to find on eBay, we did some work with a company that makes them for people like Audi and they've got lines of machines floating on air polishing the lenses and all sorts. The eBay jobs are mostly just glueing as many standard white LED's to a stick as they think they can get away with before it melts itself to death.

I'd trust actual names like Osram and Philips, people who already know how to make a light bulb, if you want to pay £90 for a pair you can believe in:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P8S4NYL

Personally I'd be worrying that the first puddle I waded through would kill a £50 light bulb rather than a £5 H4 :unsure:

As Ross says, the colour output from most (esp. cheap) LED's is also poor, they can look very bright but the colour rendering (CRI) is poor compared to a boring old halogen.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They seem to THINK they are being blinded??????????????

They ARE being blinded, you THINK you are not causing it as you are not on main beam!

Take the hint!

As for the use of LED repalcement for Brake and Tail this is a horrendous idea the seperation of brightness is needed to distinguish the two or it will cause an acccident.

Sorry for the anger but I have just spent a fifth hour on the phone to my insurance company because a young driver turned left in to me and they want to settle in his favour as it is not financially viable for them to pursue it. They expect me to happily agree to the financial loss.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They ARE being blinded, you THINK you are not causing it as you are not on main beam!

Take the hint!

As for the use of LED repalcement for Brake and Tail this is a horrendous idea the seperation of brightness is needed to distinguish the two or it will cause an acccident.

Sorry for the anger but I have just spent a fifth hour on the phone to my insurance company because a young driver turned left in to me and they want to settle in his favour as it is not financially viable for them to pursue it. They expect me to happily agree to the financial loss.

But it is only 'think'. Certainly in my case I can see the cut off of the light and I can SEE that its not going anywhere near them.

As for the brake/tail it's still maintaining the brightness difference. Often done with more LED chips for the brake light, or its simply done by dimming.

Sorry I don't care where the cut off is, their eyes are on the recieving end not yours so I will go with their version of the truth. If they are flashing you it is for a good reason not because they are just a little confused? Dazzling is about light pollution and brightness not just where the focussed light ends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the hint!

Very much THINK, yes. Same as Ross, the cut-off is visible. The only time they're actually is being blinded is on a crest, or they're low enough to get under the cut-off. Yes, that sucks. And it sucks with halogens too.

And what hint do I need to take? That a stock system that has been approved for use goes around blinding people? If it's the automatic highbeam assist I can somewhat understand it, that system isn't perfect (but also triggers a lot of response from people that don't seem to understand it - oh no trees around him are lit up, must be blinding me soon).

As for the LED tail lights. What makes you think LEDs can't have differing brightnesses? Plenty of cars around with stock LED taillights that have a very clear difference between taillight and brake light.

Without going all IVA and upsetting Moseph, C&U regs says replace like for like. A reflector in a headlight designed for a filament lamp, will not work with an LED. Simples. If you dazzle oncoming vehicles, then you are 'dazzling' oncoming vehicles. If that oncoming vehicle has a crash, because the driver was dazzled, then you are at fault. If they die, you are at fault. SOCO will fined that the vehicle didn't comply to C&U and you will be found guilty. If you are a pretty boy, your time in prison will not be pleasant.

Like it or lump, that's it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

If you dazzle oncoming vehicles, then you are 'dazzling' oncoming vehicles. If that oncoming vehicle has a crash, because the driver was dazzled, then you are at fault. If they die, you are at fault. SOCO will fined that the vehicle didn't comply to C&U and you will be found guilty.

If you've fitted aftermarket LEDS, but if they're factory fit and you didn't have them on main beam when you shouldn't that's not going to happen. 

In my experience, from the receiving end, I think a lot of the problem with high output headlamps is the relative brightness compared to other vehicles. Your eyes adjust to the light from your own headlamps - when you meet a vehicle with much more powerful lights coming the other way it dazzles you and then leaves you blinded after you pass, even though they've dipped. I used to notice this fast more when I had the RRC than I do with a more modern car, simply down to a bigger contrast. I'd guess the wavelengths play a part as well as the intensity. 

LED's being more of a point-source than halogens they appear a lot more "sparkly" especially for speccy gits like me, which can feel like someone's got their high beams on when they haven't.

I read a thing recently about Ford's LED headlamps incorporating cameras and lenses so that they would actually switch certain LED's on or off to avoid dazzling oncoming cars whilst still spreading more light (like a high-beam) everywhere else - literally projecting a dark "box" around the oncoming vehicle to avoid dazzle. It's all very silly.

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I read a thing recently about Ford's LED headlamps incorporating cameras and lenses so that they would actually switch certain LED's on or off to avoid dazzling oncoming cars whilst still spreading more light (like a high-beam) everywhere else - literally projecting a dark "box" around the oncoming vehicle to avoid dazzle. It's all very silly.

That's exactly what my adaptive high-beams do.