Cebora woes

My cebora 180 autostar has decided not to play the contactor pictured below does not always hold in which means no wire speed I'm assuming issue is with contactor probably dirty / burnt contacts only bother is these are now obsolete welder is nearly 30 yrs old and this is the first issue I've had with it doesn't owe me anything contactor I'm after is a fantini cosmi hr0910 not having a lot of joy on the net or do I bite the bullet and get a new mig from r tech any advice welcome regards Stephen 

20200514_135440.jpg

Is it just to switch the wire feed and gas solenoid ? Do you know what voltage it operates on ? There must be something Industrial that will replace that , contactors are used in so many applications .

Might be worth asking on the MIG welding forum too .

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1

Local electrical factors should be able to match it - that's what I did when the one in my lathe gave up. Cost me all of about £30.

Think the one in my welder has given up now too - mind you, date code says 1974 so I've had some mileage out of it!

• Like 1

One of the sparks from work is going to look at it tomorrow my problem is that it may be a fault in circuit board that's causing the contactor to drop out and if it's anything to do with board I'm  just gonna buy a new welder regards Stephen 

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Local electrical factors should be able to match it - that's what I did when the one in my lathe gave up. Cost me all of about £30.

Think the one in my welder has given up now too - mind you, date code says 1974 so I've had some mileage out of it!

Talking of mileage... if the welder is that old, I wonder how many miles of wire have been through it in that time :o 

16 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

One of the sparks from work is going to look at it tomorrow my problem is that it may be a fault in circuit board that's causing the contactor to drop out and if it's anything to do with board I'm  just gonna buy a new welder regards Stephen 

If it's anything like mine the circuit board has about 3 basic components on it - don't junk a solid welder if there's prospect of an easy repair, the older ones with proper transformers etc. are way more robust than the modern inverter stuff. If I was local I'd offer to nip round with the soldering iron and take a look!

• Thanks 1

It's alive !! Working great so far this morning when looking at stuff inside I noticed a plastic electrical gizmo was not connected to rail properly when I tried to re- fix it found a wire had snapped from soldered connection probably giving me an intermittent connection ( left hand orange thingy showing loose with soldered connections behind it ) anyway re- soldered and seems to be working fine at the moment fingers crossed thanks for assistance given guys regards Stephen 

20200516_075126.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers John took on board what you said about the older transformer welders definitely worth repairing and keeping as long as I can as said previously this is the first problem I've had in nearly 30yrs of use and believe me it's used constantly been the best £500 I've ever spent and even then it was an ex display model  regards Stephen 

• 6 months later...

So my cebora ceased to work, contactor stuck in and wire live all the time, freed contactor off and welder not working at all with regard to wire going live to weld feed still working got a new contactor from city electrical factors and a separate 24v coil put it together and now working better than ever, how's that your asking, since I moved into present house welder would not work on highest setting and only for a limited time on setting no5 ,I put it down to modern sensitive rcd's, now it works great on all settings, all the signs were there in hindsight I just didn't see them, my original contactor would be around 25/28 years old and contacts would have been burnt after that much use so all good now, hopefully some of you might find this helpful in the future regards Stephen 

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 1

I have just serviced my 1987 Cebora spot welder, that thing is built to last forever, the contactor is designed to be serviced with quick release contacts that allow them to be cleaned off if burnt and refitted in seconds.

Trouble is that it does trip modern RCDs instantly, they are too sensitive for welders.

16 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

I have just serviced my 1987 Cebora spot welder, that thing is built to last forever, the contactor is designed to be serviced with quick release contacts that allow them to be cleaned off if burnt and refitted in seconds.

Trouble is that it does trip modern RCDs instantly, they are too sensitive for welders.

Need a different classification of RCD then, one designed to handle the in-rush current. 

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Pav said:

Hello, could you please help me with contactor hr0910 what kind of substitute/replacement I can get. Thanks 

I just went to City Electrical Factors with my old one and they sorted me out regards Stephen

10 minutes ago, Pav said:

Hello Stephen. Could you please take picture and let me know what contactor identification code is on yours from CEF. 

Thanks 

Kind regards 

Pav

will look on monday, work commitments this weekend regards Stephen