Indexable tips help please

I have a AEW Horizon milling machine that came with a couple of fly cutters for head skimming one of these only had a single tip no spares  so I'm trying to track down the make the tips are oblong in shape and there is a series of small capital D's around the top edge see photo ( not great as camera will not do macro ) any help greatly appreciated thank you regards Stephen 

20200514_143137.jpg

Sorry no numbers the tip at its widest points is 15.97mm x 9.65mm x 4.52 mm I have some apmt1604 tips that I thought would do but they are slightly off centre in holder and do not tighten down flat causing tool to chatter when in use regards Stephen 

Even within a size there are many different variations. Decent tips are worth their weight in gold, cheap tips are awful. Cheap tips are a false economy as they just don’t last. I spent about 6 years in my previous department machining about 80/90% of the time and my old boss was terrible for buying carp. He’d be happy when he’d got a box of tips for a tenner rather than a single tip for a tenner which would outlast the entire box of cheapies. 

The tip I have is .5mm shorter so when tapered screw is tightened it trys to move it along and then lifts it off the face I will probably end up buying a tool to butcher and install into the fly cutter at least I will have a record then of what tips fit regards Stephen 

Edited by Stellaghost

7 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Bugger is about right hoping perhaps Vulcan Bomber or someone else who is a full time machinist might see post and put me in the right direction thanks for your help regards Stephen 

Unfortunately I cant overly help you directly. Machinist yes, but I reside on the lathes for the most part.

My best guess would be an APKT 1604-- insert.

You can try Matrix tooling, Cromwell and Ryona,they will probably be able to identify them. Its certainly an ISO insert, so readily available when its identified. 

Edited by vulcan bomber

11 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

Dont use cut well, they wont leave you alone when they have your details. I had a right set to with them not so long ago about it.

Yeah they seem to have a very keen sales team, I told them I'm not worth their time as I'm only buying their cheapest 3mm ali cutters for my tiiiiny mill.

Their catalogue does show all the various inserts sizes / shapes etc. though and they might help you identify it through pictures even if you don't buy owt from them. They do have some cheaper stuff, but as they're aimed at industry they're not going to compete with the cheap cack on eBay etc.

Now sorted bought a chopped sandvik lathe tool with 4 tips off ebay for a tenner cut the old one out and welded the new one in and I now know what tips I will require in the future thanks to all that helped pictures below regards Stephen 

20200523_190716.jpg

20200523_192520.jpg

20200523_200126.jpg

Actually very quiet when I was making the anvil out of rail track there was just a constant tick when I bought the mill the guy have me a demonstration of it skimming a cylinder head not noisy at all that saying if the tip is loose it makes a bit more noise ask me how I know regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Spelling