Vehicle Breakers

Looked at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...mMakeTrack=true

They say that they have "over 10,000 engines in stock" :o :o :o

Rog

BTW - why do Nissan Navara engines go pop? (no that's not the first line of a joke - I am genuinely interested since Japanese engines are normally so reliable...)

Quote from Ebay Ad.

"The common fault with the Navara engine is that the bottom end always blows and the conrods always cause damage to the valves, springs e.t.c."

Maybe I missed something when working on engines,

How does a conrod that is below a piston cause damage to the valves and springs which are above in the head?

Or are Narvara engines a really modern side valve engine? :huh:

I wouldnt buy one from RPS, all his engines look a bit suspect to me... also, where is he located? Look at the mileage of the engines he is selling... most of them have about 30000 miles... even for older engines, is he very lucky to find so many engines with 29500 - 36000 miles? He seems a bit dodgy.

I see they're also selling a 3.9 V8 out of a Disco: ebay item 320069118125

"The most common fault with these engines is that the bottom end gets damaged. Do not bother finding cheap solutions by replacing just the bottom End, because more than likely the iron bits have damaged the valves and spring conrods and all and thus the HEAD has most likely been damage."
:unsure:

Also in Lerwick...

Not knocking it, just seems a bit strange

Rog,,

sorry to hear about your engine, to be honest i think you may struggle finding a Nissan Navara engine with them still being so new. I do know there is 2 4x4 breakers acros in the hucknall area. Will get there details and post them for you the other one is Roger Windly in Tattershal

You Suspicious lot :)

But your right, no Im not knocking anybody, just my opinion, but I called the guy who is listing that engine today, and to be honest, I got the "watchdog" kinda feeling, a few things were very suspect. Things like, although the engines are exactly the same, I need yours before I can sell you one, then we will rebuild using some components from yours, I have about 6 available, and dont think you can go out and buy just anyone, they vary from month to month! (they dont).

He then got on about fitting, and really wasnt interested in selling me one when I said I just want the lump, I will fit myself - Im staying away, my suspicious mind is saying he is a one man band, listing items he doesnt have then going to equicar and the like.

I also spoke to a guy call Van Engine Man.com, now this guy seemed genuine, very knowledgeable and stated he would build me an engine that had the 2004-on timing chain improvement. Of course at a price, £3200 + the dreaded.

Hmm. Item location says Lerwick (Shetland)... with 10,000 engines and only 7,500 residents
He told me m25 London
BTW - why do Nissan Navara engines go pop? (no that's not the first line of a joke - I am genuinely interested since Japanese engines are normally so reliable...)

Well its had a timing chain rattle since about 16k miles, its now done 140k very hard miles, when its not earning a living dashing down motorways, its towing all the time, and too be honest, its been thrashed all of its life, I have never shown it mercy from being brand new :ph34r: So I am not too stressed, although vanengineman.com says its not unheard of for a high mileage Navara to lose its bottom end, he reckons he is doing two a month at the moment.

i know of a bloke on the MG owners club who gets through more nissan engines than oil filters, always the bottom end that goes too.

i cant think of the name of that engine place that got to watchdog either, wasnt it named after a place in london?

Hi Rog,

Sorry for the bang!!

In the case of saving money can't you just buy a short block?

If the head isn't damaged I am sure your Vanman would be able to do the work swapping over the parts without a problem.

Nissans though I thought were bullet proof...........

Regards

G

Quote from Ebay Ad.

"The common fault with the Navara engine is that the bottom end always blows and the conrods always cause damage to the valves, springs e.t.c."

Maybe I missed something when working on engines,

How does a conrod that is below a piston cause damage to the valves and springs which are above in the head?

Or are Narvara engines a really modern side valve engine? :huh:

He says the same for virtually all engines advertised, even the 350z which as I understand has a well overspeced bottom end.

barge pole don't

Hi Rog,

Sorry for the bang!!

In the case of saving money can't you just buy a short block?

If the head isn't damaged I am sure your Vanman would be able to do the work swapping over the parts without a problem.

Nissans though I thought were bullet proof...........

Regards

G

Double edged sword this one, on one side its a company motor so money is not a mega issue, on the other side its ready for re-newal so not worth spending top dollar on it.

That said, I have a good boss and dont want to take the p**s out of him and get a 10k bill from a dealership, but I want it working ok as I plan to buy it when I get my new Navara as I have plans for the old one - Jez and DD stylie.

Think its time for a strip down, see if the top did survive and go from there, so for now my company motor is a 52 plate Renault Traffic (still keeps the tax down :D ).

But if you do hear of one, let me know please.

Hi all, update,

I think Ive got it sorted now.....

Concensus of opinion by most engine repairers and motor breakers is that with the Nissan D22 2.5TD engine, you are on borrowed time after 60k, with 99% of all the problems being it throws out a conrod. This has been reported to me by at least 20 people (I made a lot of phone calls trying to get the engine replaced). Such a shame, its a great tow motor and reasonably fast and frugle (32mpg) I was one of the lucky ones getting 140k out of mine.

I personally couldnt find an engine cheaper than 2.5k + VAT (for a second hand 50k miles), infact it was the only engine I could find, although CWS did say that if they had one it would be £1,500 +VAT but they dont come up that often, the Nissan dealership wanted £7,200k + £500 consumables + £800 fitting +VAT. Van Engine Man (who seemed very good) wanted £2,700 +VAT to re-build mine and would offer a 12 month warranty.

So, a 53 plate Nissan Navara 140k miles, blown engine and a circa £2,700 + vat repair bill is not looking the best - it books at about 5.5k - 6k + vat, so when you consider productive time lost by me and all other losses its a write-off! So its gone to a commercial breaker whose given 3k + vat for it, and with some justification thats not too bad, on paper its given us £5700 + VAT with no hassles.

Here's the bit I like, I pick up my new car next week!

Ford Ranger Thunder 2.5 Tdci Duratorq, black, full leather, mountain back, towbar, privacy glass and a 5 year unlimited warranty for less than £15k (ex-demo 8k October 56 plate).

The salesman couldnt answer me whether or not this engine is the same or slight variation on the new Defenders engine, if so happy days, the new Defender could be good, as this pulls like a "good un". It drives well, looks ok, the interior is spot on.

It doesnt get the rave reviews the new navara does, but according to the engine guys, they are hearing of new navara failures already (apparentley its the same engine just giving out more power through better fueling so its even more stressed).

It makes a mockery of Nissans prices (new, like for like its £12000k cheaper!).

On a saddistic note, me and DD were playing about with the Navara, it still runs on one or two pots with no oil preasure, seizes up when it gets hot, cools down and runs again :rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim

What was the warranty on the van? 3 years like most Jap stuff?

I'd have been inclined to contact Nissan direct, plead/beg/shout/rant/rave that your "trusty" vehicle has died after just 3 years, Landrovers last thousands of years, you wanted the luxury and comfort of the Jap stuff yadda yadda....

they might take pity on you and offer something?

What was the warranty on the van? 3 years like most Jap stuff?

I'd have been inclined to contact Nissan direct, plead/beg/shout/rant/rave that your "trusty" vehicle has died after just 3 years, Landrovers last thousands of years, you wanted the luxury and comfort of the Jap stuff yadda yadda....

they might take pity on you and offer something?

Warranty was 3yrs or 60k miles - extended to 80k miles at time of purchase, but its 3.5yrs old, 140k miles, I did try direct with Nissan Uk, but it was a flat no.

Being realistic, it is physically 3yrs old, but in reality its more like 10 - 12 yrs old, with no pampering between services, I dont think its a fight I would win, its served well and worked hard - RIP :(