What does the idiot-light to RHS of speedometer do?

Landrover17H

Perhaps a daft question , yet in all the years I've known my civvy S3 I've had the idiot-light in the instrument binnacle wired lit when the heated-screens are fired-up, and previous to that, to indicate power isolated from the electric-fan. There's no indication in any wiring diagram I can find, of it being there at all? 'Shown below'  has a switch, mine an idiot-light. What would an S3 (plastic binnacle) have there ex-factory? Were 'milly' versions different?

Binnacle.gif

Edited by Landrover17H

Thanks, hadn't realised this was a popular question, the top answer "It's where they fit the blanking plug"

If we have this straight, deseasels had a separate low-level float arrangement? Where did that go?

Edited by Landrover17H

2 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

Thanks, hadn't realised this was a popular question, the top answer "It's where they fit the blanking plug"

If we have this straight, deseasels had a separate low-level float arrangement? Where did that go?

There's an extra wire coming out of the sender in the tank, I think.

That annoys me, changed my sender not long ago. Had I known the difference, I'd have put in a 'deseasel sender' and be done. As it is, I've got an unused 'cold start' indicator on my speedo, mine's been diesel in the past anyway.

Or is the 'cold start' for a petrol choke?

Edited by Landrover17H