Car transporter trailer

Hi right I am building a car transporter trailer , but I am unsure as to what length it needs to be  for a 110 ect. I know you get triple axels but that's to big for my workshop . Would 4.5 long x 2.1 wide be enough. Just though I would ask as I have never moved one on a transporter so unsure what's needed   dont want to build to big. Moreover does anyone know what the steel plate is called that's punched out with raised holes in called.

Thanks andy

a 400 x 200 cm deck will give you enough room for anything - although a 130 will be overhanging a bit.

afbeelding.png.4bf066efc2d29be376ab0cc0234ecf5b.png

I prefer 3-axles.

I hope you can build one like you say as the rules in the UK on trailer construction are a bit more stringent these days I understand.

Thanks both for the sizes and the punched decking link. My reason money I ain't paying £2k-3k for a trailer. I can make one for about £400-£500 inc galvanising.  I got 2 knott 1500kg axels and tow hitch already and I like making things.

17 minutes ago, Arjan said:

a 400 x 200 cm deck will give you enough room for anything - although a 130 will be overhanging a bit.

afbeelding.png.4bf066efc2d29be376ab0cc0234ecf5b.png

I prefer 3-axles.

I hope you can build one like you say as the rules in the UK on trailer construction are a bit more stringent these days I understand.

It's ok I've got a time machine🤫

Yes thanks for the advice re the government  rules. My trailer will be fine . Anyone asks made in 1991 around same time as my 90. It's not a dig at you I just dont listen to totally irrelevant eu rules

23 minutes ago, Arjan said:

2 x 1500 = 3000 kgs GTW

Trailer is easily 650 kgs.

Does not leave much room for a 110....

afbeelding.png.d2c123799b91979e84f4d91d5b5399c5.png

We can only pull 3.

5 ton I  the uk with a defender , the axels will be fine. I sure the working limit has to be a factor of 5 before it fails. 5x1500 ie 7.

5 ton each  A defender will pull a lot more but its stopping it that becomes the problem.  I have experienced pulling a lot more weight that the pulling machine can handle.  Nearly went through a house with a tractor with a dung spreader full of dung and the trailer brake was not connected. 

Edited by andy _1

While I appreciate you see the law as unnecessary and the IVA thing may be fine, a trailer with a vehicle on it is fairly likely to get a tug from a DVSA checkpoint at some point and they will want to see that the rated weights are not exceeded.

Whatever you build I definitely wouldn’t exceed the rated capacity of the components - yes they’ll have a health safety margin so it may not be dangerous but that’s not how the law works.

Will be interested to see what you come up with, certainly agree that new trailers are very expensive!

7 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

While I appreciate you see the law as unnecessary and the IVA thing may be fine, a trailer with a vehicle on it is fairly likely to get a tug from a DVSA checkpoint at some point and they will want to see that the rated weights are not exceeded.

Whatever you build I definitely wouldn’t exceed the rated capacity of the components - yes they’ll have a health safety margin so it may not be dangerous but that’s not how the law works.

Will be interested to see what you come up with, certainly agree that new trailers are very expensive!

I know what happens. If there are no plates ect axel plates ect. Vosa go on the tyre ratings as to what weight it can carry. As exceeding weights working load and breaking load is a factor of 5times the working load. I dont want to argue  with anyone  just asking about the length and that new fancy plate . I built trailers since 1988 and now some pencil necked politician gets together and invents a new law I now need to pay to get a test . I am a plater. I know some people want to follow all the rules no matter what they are. I ain't that guy. When I passed my test that entitled me to drive 7.5 ton lorry . Not any more the difference irrelevant eu law but more or less the same test

Edited by andy _1

No it's not.  They cant prove I just built it. If I want to offer info that I just built it fool me. In court it's not what's true that matters it what you can prove ,hence the tyre rattings

• Like 1

The regs on building trailers are there to stop several tons of metal causing injury to inocent parties, not just a rude inconvenience to amateur trailer builders.  If you can't figure out how long a trailer needs to be to carry a 5m vehicle and it will have to be built to fit the length of your workshop, maybe this isn't the hobby for you, and it might be better to hire a trailer for £50 a day?  

• Like 1

I wasn’t referring to the IVA, which I agree is fairly hard to prove unless you offer the date of build. Though the test is less than £100.

If your requirement is less than 3,000kg gross weight then there is no issue with what you’ve planned, I was just pointing out that using those bits to build a trailer that will weigh more than that would seem inadvisable to me regardless of any perceived safety margin in load ratings. 

3 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

I wasn’t referring to the IVA, which I agree is fairly hard to prove unless you offer the date of build. Though the test is less than £100.

If your requirement is less than 3,000kg gross weight then there is no issue with what you’ve planned, I was just pointing out that using those bits to build a trailer that will weigh more than that would seem inadvisable to me regardless of any perceived safety margin in load ratings. 

Thanks I am not going to put anything near 3.5 ton on it. I recon it will weigh about 500kg done. I might look into that iva thing . I only asked about the length as I do know the wheel base of a 110 and thought I would ask here instead of google. I could make it 6meters but that's excessive.  If a find a wrecked 110 with a rotten chassis cheep I'll buy it and make another chassis. That's really what it's for. I probably  end up with ford focus on it. The chassis thing brings them out of the wood work since I mentioned that. Lol

Screenshot_20191229-093927_Gallery.jpg

You’ll have plenty of capacity to carry a 110 then, sounds like a plan 👍🏻

Have to admit a car transporter trailer would be very handy to have, only trouble is I know that if I had one I’d end up with all manner of knackered Land Rovers on the drive as it would be far too easy to collect them :lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, andy _1 said:

I only asked about the length as I do know the wheel base of a 110

.... fairly certain its roughly 9ft 2ins in old money, for the axle centres :ph34r: think mine was about 15ft overall.

• Like 1

4m length should suffice, but 4.5m will give you more options to position a (heavy) vehicle for a good weight distribution. A trailer is rarely too big (except maybe when parking), so it might be best to err on the larger side. Without going overboard, no use having a 7m bed unless you plan to move stretched limos or a pair of citycars. 😉

Filip