Paintman primer drying time

dave88sw

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some painting done tomorrow, the paint i've bought is from the paintman, i've got a tin of grey primer and a tin of white top coat.  I've used the top coat straight over sound paint in the past with just a good key of the surface, it seems to take about 3-4 hours to touch dry but at least overnight to really set.  Can anyone give me an idea of how long i need to let the primer dry before i key it for the top coat?  I'd imagine it's not as long as the top coat, it would be great to get the primer and top coat on tomorrow if possible.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 11:20 PM, dave88sw said:

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some painting done tomorrow, the paint i've bought is from the paintman, i've got a tin of grey primer and a tin of white top coat.  I've used the top coat straight over sound paint in the past with just a good key of the surface, it seems to take about 3-4 hours to touch dry but at least overnight to really set.  Can anyone give me an idea of how long i need to let the primer dry before i key it for the top coat?  I'd imagine it's not as long as the top coat, it would be great to get the primer and top coat on tomorrow if possible.

Thanks

Dave

Dave sorry for the late reply. Just spraying my doors today. 20 degrees and sunshine. Can rub my hand down the door after 5 minutes. Don’t know about flatting off

If you're planning on wet sanding it before top coat, I'd leave it overnight at least. If you are priming it over filler then at least 24 hours prefereably more to let it fully absorb into the filler or you'll get shrinkage and a spoiled paint job.   If you want to do it quickly, are spraying, can get a good even finish without runs then just let the primer flash off till touch dry and spray the topcoat on. 

If you're hand brushing the primer/topcoat, I'd take it slower and let the primer dry properly before sanding it. 

Air dry synthetic enamels take a week or two to harden after spraying,  but touch dry in a few hours. 

I tried to call Paintman several times to ask this question and eventually sent them an enquiry through their website which is still unanswered. I had no option but to wait for it to dry off overnight before recoating.

Quite annoying lack of service to be honest given the amount I’ve spent with them recently.